The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sheaffer Imperial Touchdown Stuck Section

sheaffer imperial touchdown nib unit section stuck

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nicolaschua

nicolaschua

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2015 - 16:42

Hi, 

i have a stuck Sheaffer Imperial Touchdown nib unit. The reason why I want to take apart the section is because I have found ink to be leaking through the threads that hold the nib unit to the whole pen. I have tried to remove it with some heat but it wouldn't budge (maybe due to my hairdryer not being able to reach the release temperature of the sealant). I have managed to remove my friend's one but mine wouldn't move at all. I also can't find any rubber sheets nearby which maybe why I can't unscrew it.

Any suggestions? I have posted 2 photos below.

Sheaffer Imperial #1.jpg

Sheaffer Imperial #2.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:57

You need a pair of section pliers aka spark plug boot pullers (found at a NAPA or other auto parts store) to grip the threads.  The rubber shelf liner material for a "grippy pad" can be found at Wal Mart or other similar store in the kitchen department. 

You do need heat to soften the sealant, but you need to be careful not to hover heat and melt the plastic around the notches where the tabs on the pressure ring come through.

I don't know that I've encountered a leak at that part of the pen, though it is possible.  If it is leaking there, you will need to find a replacement 0-ring that goes between the thread bushing and the feed inside the section.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#3 nicolaschua

nicolaschua

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2015 - 13:46

Thanks, Ron_z, i have been trying by soaking, ultrasonic cleaning, rubber grips and heating it, all not working. Maybe because I could not find rubber pads especially for gripping. Anymore suggestions? Your help is greatly appreciated

#4 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 15:59

Is is possible the sac has a pinhole, and the ink is migrating down past the sac guard to the threads, giving the impression that the pen is leaking through the threads? If so, you won't need to disturb the section.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#5 nicolaschua

nicolaschua

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:29

@Flounder nope. Ink is leaking from between the blue nib unit and the black connector. I checked the sac for holes alr, in which there were none

#6 tmenyc

tmenyc

Tim

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 15:20

Thanks, Ron_z, i have been trying by soaking, ultrasonic cleaning, rubber grips and heating it, all not working. Maybe because I could not find rubber pads especially for gripping. Anymore suggestions? Your help is greatly appreciated

A couple of 2"x 1" pieces cut from a bicycle tube work great.  Any bike shop will give you a discard tube for free.

Current Rotation:
home: MontBlanc 149/Waterman Blue/Black; Esterbrook Dollar/vintage Skrip black
case: Lamy 2000/Akkerman Konigsblau; Parker Duofold/mystery ink from my drawer...
office: Delta Fusion 82/vintage Sheaffer permanent blue/black

see my Pens for Sale and my collection at timsvintagepens.com  

#7 nicolaschua

nicolaschua

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2015 - 15:38

@tmenyc Thanks! I'll try to get one soon and I'll tell you how it fared. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, imperial, touchdown, nib unit, section stuck

Sponsored Content

|