• Rouge Opera
    • Rouille d'Ancre
    • Terre de Feu
    • Vert Empire
    • Vert Olive
    • Vert Pre
    • Vert Reseda
    • Violette Pansee

I was looking for Terre de Fue reviews and found this poll. Wow, Visvamitra, as usual impressive work. I haven't used nearly enough J Herbin inks. Two I own are in the lead in the second group.

Posted Image

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• VivienR

• Misfit

• chromantic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where would we be without you, visvamitra? Thanks again for all time and hard work you put into these reviews.

Lie de Thé and Vert Empire were the first 2 inks I bought back in January (has it only been 4 months?!). I've since purchased 3 more and will likely add a couple more in the future. Really, the only complaint I've had is the awful show-through on cheap paper with the Bleu Pervenche.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Yes it does. I'd be happy if a box of all J Herbin inks arrived on my doorstep without any help from me.

Posted Image

Yes, Bleu Pervenche can do that. It changes nothing - J. Herbin rocks.

Show-through on cheap paper is a 'feature' common to many inks, unfortunately. (Levenger Claret is even worse than Pervenche, in my experience.) I hope you didn't take it that I was singling out Herbin for opprobrium.

We put up with it because we like the color or we experiment to find a pen that minimizes the effect or we use better paper if we can. I discovered just this morning that Pervanche does not show through on the Black n' Red spiral I bought recently.

I bought Pervenche primarily on the strength of your review, yours and amberlea's. It turned out to be every bit as beautiful as you showed it to be and amber was explicit in including scans of the show-through so it 's not like I bought it unawares. I don't regret buying it and I mostly have you to thank.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I have Bleu Pervenche, and love it! It was one of the first 3 inks I bought. I think it was the 2nd one, but I wouldn't swear to that.

I have Bleu Pervenche, and love it! It was one of the first 3 inks I bought. I think it was the 2nd one, but I wouldn't swear to that.

Its easy to love that! I recently filled one of my pen with that. Lovely color. Currently rehabilitate one of my beloved pen, with this color. Sadly last year wasn't brought to much luck for me that pen, contrary brought devastation... Now the pen can make things right... :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I think a lot of what makes J. Herbin ink odd is that most of the inks don't seem to be meant for writing. The line has colors that are good for writing and plenty of them, but it also has a lot that work very well for ink and wash artwork. Gris Nuage is a useful light cool grey for shading drawings. Rouille d'Ancre is helpful for the red tones in a lot of human skin, similar to sanguine in chalk and conte crayons. Ambre de Birmanie is also useful for the more golden sorts of human skin tones. Vert Pre and Vert Olive are good greens for a lot of different sorts of foliage. And Bleu Azur is a good sky blue. And almost all of these colors are ones that aren't much liked for writing. (Tho Iroshizuku has a pretty similar range of shades that are well suited to drawing)

And the shading properties are also really useful in drawing. A saturated line that doesn't change at all if you go over it again is not always what's most useful. A lot of art materials are loved for the way color builds and changes, and the Herbin inks do that in spades.

But I agree, some of the colors aren't well suited to a restful writing experience.

This is tremendous, Visvamitra! Very helpful indeed.

I am just starting to use Herbin inks in my cart-only Kaweco. Since international short cartridges are available in most, if not all Herbin flavours, I should have some fun with these colours.

My personal colour palate runs on the conservative (small c :D) side: med. blues, blue/blacks (mostly IG), violet/purples, sombre greens, perhaps a deep burgundy. I would be willing to try a more vibrant ink, if it's in cartridge form.

At present I am testing out "Pussiere De Lune" in carts, as a non-IG substitute for R&K "Scabiosa", my favourite daily writer ink.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for the most comprehensive of Herbin inks review, Visvamitra!

I really like the fact that you followed the order from the nuancier's swatches.

I have heard many people complain about the lightest inks, growing up in France, black and dark blue cardstock was readily available.

Writing with a dip pen with Herbin light ink colors produces a stunning effect with those papers.

In the review below TessyMoon noted: "Hooray! I am not alone! I adore pastel pinks too! Not always practical, but always lovely, Bouquet d’Antan is one ink I do adore in a broad stub and wet pen. It looks lovely on different color papers too, ivory/warm white are great, as well as G Lalo Rose and Lavender papers are all winners in my book!"

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/304050-updated-pink-purple-ink-comparisons/

Below is another example: the classic Lalo deckle edge note card.

A young person might get a set, to thank people for attending their teen coming of age celebration such as a bar/bat mitzvah or a communion, etc...

It was, and still is, used as informal invitation, substitute for greeting cards, thank you notes, etc...

Or, to express sentiments when a letter is not necessary and a postcard doesn't provide enough privacy.

http://www.paperbistro.com/-252-15-G-Lalo-Deckle-Edge-Verg-de-France-Cards-Envelopes-7-x-6-Notes-Raspberry-10-x-10/2118/

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?