Where I Currently Stand With The Fountain Pens (Oct 2015)

KBeezie

So, This is where I currently stand with the pens. Not including any I currently have listed for sale (though the 14K M on the Lamy is for sale, as I intend on replacing it with a steel nib), and not counting any vintage pencils or ballpoints I have.

Also I'm hiding the huge-wall-o-text into this spoiler box (sort of a mini-impression of a number of them).

9 of which are currently inked

- Platinum Preppy 05/M (more like 0.9mm/Broad), inked with Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng as an eye dropper.

- A late 1960s Platinum Pocket Pen with a 14K EF that's pretty smooth but it's also a firm nail. Noodler's X-Feather. (Thinking bout de-inking this one for the moment)

- Lamy 2000 (post-2009), 14K EF (that actually writes like a true western EF), Noodler's X-Feather

- Pelikan M640 Special Edition Mount Everest, 18K Medium, Noodler's Blue Steel

- Pelikan 400NN (1956) Green Striped, 14K Semi-Flex EF with a hard-rubber collar instead of steel or clear plastic, R&K Salix

- Pelikan 140 (1950s, Export Model, Friction Fit), 14K Broad Cursive Italic Semi-Flex, Diamine OxBlood

- Aurora Afrika LE ( # 1,765 ... of 7,500 LOL ), 18K Medium (more like a Western EF to me), Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo.

- Wahl #2 (mid 1920s, Gold-Filled lever filler), 14K Needlepoint Semi-Flex, R&K Scabiosa.

- Danitrio Mae West (now called Hyotan), Recession Urushi, 18K Jowo "T" Nib, Factory Stub.

A couple that I'm not sure where I want to go with them (ie: to sell, trade, "get used to", etc)

- Omas 360 "2011" Blue & Rose Gold, 18K EF, Fun shape, comfortable to hold, but not sure where I want to go with it compared to what I have in the same gamut, would probably prefer an actual vintage 360.

- Filcao Atlantica (2004 LE in Pentrace Green) Button Filler w/ Steel M, writes more like a western Fine. Wish I could find a compatible Schmidt nib to try replacing it with.

- Sheaffer Snorkel Sentinel 1st Year (Gold Snorkel Tube), 14K 2-tone Triumph EF

- Waterman 92 (Red/Black/Grey Marbling of sort), 14K EF~F

- Parker 45 Olive, 14K Accounting Nib (I was really hoping to score a springy 14K Fine like I once had)

- Mabie Todd (American) Swan 2-SF (teens), Black Chased Hard Rubber, no clip, no ring, 14K Sword-like Flex Fine . Had a trade offer on it once and for some reason hadn't had the heart to ink it back up since that fell thru, dunno why.

- Lamy Studio Palladium, 14K Medium. I feel like I'd like it better if I just put a steel 1.1 on it, or get some kind of specialty nib on it, Has a nice feel but not ready to part with it, would rather try out some nib options.

- Platinum Pocket Pen, not sure, cute little thing, reliable, hasn't dried up, decent smoothness on the EF, but I find myself reaching more for the Lamy 2K (though I prefer the fineness of the Platinum for a pocket-style pen).

- Eversharp Doric in Kashmir with #3 Adjustable Nib. Love it's appearance, feel, nib, etc. But ever since I had the crack in the barrel professionally repaired, I'm scared to do much with it.

The "from my cold dead hands" list... sort of would be:

- Wahl #2, 14K Semi-flex Needlepoint. It's a tiny little pen, works well posted, and I've been using it as an EDC especially for note taking due to the nib.

- Pilot Long Murex, Stainless Integrated Steel <F> Nib, October 1978 Hiratsuka Factory. Very sleek, early one it was one of my 'grail' pens before I knew much about fountain pens. Very easy to disassemble by hand, and pretty comfortable for a steel pen. (The Visconti Homo Sapien was my other grail pen, but that has fallen off my list).

- Parker 75 Cisele (Sterling Silver, USA), 14K '63' EF Nib. The Nib gives me similar result to the Long Murex, with a little less feedback, slightly thicker than the montblanc 225, but with more feedback. Not huge fan of the 3-sided grip, but I absolutely love how the Sterling Silver warms up in my hands, plus it's quite attractive.

- Montblanc 225 (Platinated Cap, Piston Filler, 70s), Platinum Coated 14K XXF, probably the smoothest XXF I have. My first montblanc, and second pen to get that was extremely fine outside of the Sheaffer Touchdown Admiral I already had with a Feathertouch Accounting nib. My only gripe is that being unable to remove the nib I'm never entirely sure that I've flushed it completely (it's more of an obsession than an 'issue').

- Pelikan 400NN (1956), 14K Semi-Flex EF overall probably the best nib I like to use in the EF range in overall feel/performance with the body to match.

- Pelikan 140 (50s), 14K Broad Cursive Italic, I've kept this one inked since I got it, it's B CI is incredibly smooth, wet without being too wet, and isn't too large for my purposes.

Almost to the 'cold dead hands':

- Swan 205/60, Black Chased Celluloid, 14K '2' Semi-Flex EF. Nice feel, wish it was a tiny bit longer and posted a little better, but overall a nice vintage pen. I just wish I could find the 100/60 or 105/60 variant for as good a deal I got this, for a little easier flex with the '1' nib.

- Danitrio Mae West. Like the Feel of the body, just wish I had a slightly smaller cursive italic (does about a 1.1) that had the springy response of the newer bock nibs, which I would use in more of an EDC capacity than the current factory stub.

- Aurora Afrika LE, 18K M. Absolutely love the pen, great balance, large grip, large nib size, gorgeous and feels nice too, easy to fill and nib/feed is easily unscrewed like pelikan. I just wish the Medium wasn't so fine (does a Western EF), I could easily keep it in my rotation without regret if it were like a 0.4 or 0.5 cursive italic or a western Fine.

- Pelikan M640 SE, 18K M. Nothing really to gripe about, just not as used as my others in rotation. The Medium is slightly smaller than the 90s Pelikan 14K Mediums I've used, is a firm nail but smooth. Very attractive and feels solid.

The Rest not detailed above.

- Lamy 2000, 14K EF, probably my least favorite of the favorites if that makes sense. When I got it (in a trade with someone who got it from amazon new 2 weeks prior), it was extremely dry, and a rough texture despite being properly aligned. Took a couple days but I got it flowing real well with a middle of the road wetness, and real smooth all while keeping it a true western EF.

- Eversharp Skyline (40s) Standard, Black with red/green celluloid cap. (would love to find one with a good navy blue color and dome, but same stripped cap, and same nib). Probably my favorite 14K Semi-Flex EF until the Pelikan 400NN came along. A very comfortable balance especially for longer session of note taking.

- Platinum Preppy 05/M , It's alright, just wish those caps weren't prone to cracking. At least it never dries out, especially with something like KTC.

I think I mentioned everything... I think...

http://i.imgur.com/JibqUyf.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• KBeezie

• shawndp

• northstar

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Some nice pens, hope the collection grows more and more, best wishes.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

I always enjoy your posts - great pictures and great insight and I am into a lot of similar pens... All the best!