The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hardest To Find Limited-Edition Or Discontinued Safari/ Al-Star Pens?

collectibles safari al-star lamy rare scarce

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 chainwhip

chainwhip

Eastside Derailleur Mangler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 18:53

scarcest of scaries: The Winter Edition:
http://www.penexchan...&p=29322#p29322

Whoa... they should call that the "Tribble Edition"  Hahahah!

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!
WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

Sponsored Content

#22 gammada

gammada

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2015 - 02:44

scarcest of scaries: The Winter Edition:
http://www.penexchan...&p=29322#p29322

Now that's what I'd call a 'rare' find!!

#23 gammada

gammada

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2015 - 03:12

That's an impressive collection indeed, I'm still looking for a terrared or savannah green model. I assume it's like with most collectible things, you can get them quite easily but for a high price. Finding low priced terra / Vannah models seems almost impossible, unfortunately!

I've seen a trend on this regard. If you look for limited edition or discontinued pens on eBay, they fetch incredibly high prices. But on fountain pen sites, it easy to get your hands on real bargains. A guy here got his terracota and savannah pens for $175 each in mint condition.

#24 aj3537

aj3537

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:17

I'm looking for a bright yellow safari with a black clip. This is incredibly hard to find. It's the focus of my search to eventually collect them all.
Ink Trade: D Imperial Purple and Blue, Madador, Chocolate, Amber, Majestic Blue and Purple, Grey, Peach Haze, Marine, Emerald, Meadow, Apple Glory, Crimson, Passion Red, Wild Strawberry, Ruby, Flamingo Pink, Pink, Amaranth, N Army, Polar Black, Purple, Green Marine, North African Violets, Nikita, Army, Heart of Darkness, PR Chocolat FD, Lamy Coral, Burnt Orange, Neon Lime
And much more.

#25 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:45

I'm looking for a bright yellow safari with a black clip. This is incredibly hard to find. It's the focus of my search to eventually collect them all.

Is it possible to find a bright yellow with chrome clip? In that case you could buy a spare black clip and change it.

I seem to remember a topic a few weeks or so ago where they discussed this.

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#26 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:07

It is very tempting to collect these pens but I know I shouldn't :)

After the first one, resistance is futile!!

It's true, I fell down this rabbit hole of collecting a "few" Al Star Limited Editions. Now I have about a dozen but am still hunting for a Silver-Blue and a Raspberry. I'm really not trying to collect them all (I hope), I just want the ones that appeal to me. The Coffee Brown one for instance does nothing for me, I have no desire for that one.

FB_IMG_1449544849880.jpg

Several duplicates not pictured.
John L

#27 aj3537

aj3537

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:33

Is it possible to find a bright yellow with chrome clip? In that case you could buy a spare black clip and change it.

I seem to remember a topic a few weeks or so ago where they discussed this.

D.ick

I've thought about that. There is one person on eBay but they want over $200. I also need the Flame to complete my poor man collection but can't afford that one either. Unless I get lucky and find the Savannah and Terracotta at a yard sale, I have realized I will never be able to afford them.
Ink Trade: D Imperial Purple and Blue, Madador, Chocolate, Amber, Majestic Blue and Purple, Grey, Peach Haze, Marine, Emerald, Meadow, Apple Glory, Crimson, Passion Red, Wild Strawberry, Ruby, Flamingo Pink, Pink, Amaranth, N Army, Polar Black, Purple, Green Marine, North African Violets, Nikita, Army, Heart of Darkness, PR Chocolat FD, Lamy Coral, Burnt Orange, Neon Lime
And much more.

#28 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,999 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2015 - 14:21

I've thought about that. There is one person on eBay but they want over $200. I also need the Flame to complete my poor man collection but can't afford that one either. Unless I get lucky and find the Savannah and Terracotta at a yard sale, I have realized I will never be able to afford them.

I've seen one or two LEs at a pen show for reasonable prices. Any near you? What about antique or consignment shops?

I would love to have the Savannah and TC. :)

#29 Klabundova

Klabundova

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2015 - 20:51

How hard to find is the Al Star Ruby in Europe or USA?

Where I live (Brazil) I could find quite easily the silvergreen (with black nib and clip), the silverblue and others older anual editions like raspberry and coffe, but I was never able to find a Ruby.

#30 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:47

How hard to find is the Al Star Ruby in Europe or USA?

Where I live (Brazil) I could find quite easily the silvergreen (with black nib and clip), the silverblue and others older anual editions like raspberry and coffe, but I was never able to find a Ruby.

You can still find Silver-Blue Lamy Al Stars? I've been hunting one for months but the only ones I can find are to expensive, same with the Coffee one. Do you think you might be able to help me out? In return I'll try and hunt you down a Ruby, though they run about $100 USD here.

Edited by jdllizard, 19 December 2015 - 01:48.

John L

#31 Klabundova

Klabundova

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:56

You can still find Silver-Blue Lamy Al Stars? I've been hunting one for months but the only ones I can find are to expensive, same with the Coffee one. Do you think you might be able to help me out? In return I'll try and hunt you down a Ruby, though they run about $100 USD here.

$100 USD?! Funny thing about the brazilian fountain pen's market is that the prices are usually very high but there are not many buyers so the pens take a long time to be sold out and the sellers doesn't have knowledge about what itens are rare, resulting in a regular al-star as the dark purple being sold at the same price as one limited edition from 2010.

About the silverblue of course I can help you! There are some places selling but they are charging more or less R$270 ($70 USD), what is very expensive. 

#32 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:28

$100 USD?! Funny thing about the brazilian fountain pen's market is that the prices are usually very high but there are not many buyers so the pens take a long time to be sold out and the sellers doesn't have knowledge about what itens are rare, resulting in a regular al-star as the dark purple being sold at the same price as one limited edition from 2010.

About the silverblue of course I can help you! There are some places selling but they are charging more or less R$270 ($70 USD), what is very expensive.

How much is shipping from Brazil to the USA? I'll gladly pay $70 for a silver blue al star as long as shipping costs aren't outrageous.
John L

#33 Ian Foster

Ian Foster

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:36

It's true, I fell down this rabbit hole of collecting a "few" Al Star Limited Editions. Now I have about a dozen but am still hunting for a Silver-Blue and a Raspberry. I'm really not trying to collect them all (I hope), I just want the ones that appeal to me. The Coffee Brown one for instance does nothing for me, I have no desire for that one.

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1449544849880.jpg

Several duplicates not pictured.

Oh dear!   The Coffee Brown Al-Star is the one I keep searching for.   So it is true.   Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.   I have even written to Lamy recently endeavouring to persuade them to reissue the Coffee Brown Al-Star.

Ian 

#34 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 21:15

I kinda wish the 2008 Lime, the aquamarine, and the orange were not worth that much $$$ - I just want a few writers... not something too valuable to use

#35 Rach31

Rach31

Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2016 - 00:22

I bought these this year. A lot of my Lamy pens are twins.
F884B38A-917D-4344-A858-369409A925F6_zps

#36 sail0rm00n

sail0rm00n

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 23:41

I bought these this year. A lot of my Lamy pens are twins.
F884B38A-917D-4344-A858-369409A925F6_zps

Where did you find these?? Are these some kind of "Year of the Monkey" edition?  I'm in California too.

#37 Rach31

Rach31

Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2016 - 22:47

Where did you find these?? Are these some kind of "Year of the Monkey" edition?  I'm in California too.

They are Year of the Monkey pens. They were made for Tripidi.com. (Germany) I bought them in January. I haven't seen any more, I think they might be sold out since they aren't listed on the website anymore.

#38 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 18:22

I kinda wish the 2008 Lime, the aquamarine, and the orange were not worth that much $$$ - I just want a few writers... not something too valuable to use

The Copper-Orange Al Star is readily available through Amazon for regular prices.

Edited by jdllizard, 30 March 2016 - 18:23.

John L

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: collectibles, safari, al-star, lamy, rare, scarce

Sponsored Content

|