The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Should Have Bought More Eel

ink sailor bungbox eel

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2015 - 23:07

What do you mean I can't get any more?!!

Does Sailor just do one small run of their Bungbox colors, or do they make more every so often? I hope they make more Eel - it's such a fantastic color and it's easier to get your hands on German pharmaceutical heroin right at this moment.

Sponsored Content

#2 GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 23:56

Wait! Wait. What? It's a limited run?
Posted Image

#3 Crazyorange

Crazyorange

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:23

I believe bungbox ink is sold out. They are having troubles keeping up with the demand. I understand their ink line will be available next year.

#4 Martini1R

Martini1R

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:14

The new batch is coming in. I emailed them before they told me they are stocking again this month. However, to my surprise, the new stock is going to be in the Sailor bottle (short, with the reservoir). I really like the old perfume style bottle.  -_-  :(

Not sure if Eel would be returning real soon. Does anybody find an alternative? How is it compared to MB toffee brown?

#5 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,313 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:16

This isn't the Noodler's Eel inks, the inks that lubricate piston fillers, you're talking about right?

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

#6 haruka337

haruka337

( •̀ω•́ )✧

• Member - Gold

• 1,611 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2015 - 17:59

What do you mean I can't get any more?!!

Does Sailor just do one small run of their Bungbox colors, or do they make more every so often? I hope they make more Eel - it's such a fantastic color and it's easier to get your hands on German pharmaceutical heroin right at this moment.

Many factors come into play for the Bungbox shortage, but know that, for the foreseeable future, Bungbox will only release 8 colors at a time. The 8 colors will be dictated by "popular demand", which, I imagine, will be based off of Japanese demand.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

#7 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2015 - 18:53

This isn't the Noodler's Eel inks, the inks that lubricate piston fillers, you're talking about right?

I think it's" Bung Box Kabayaki of the Hamanako Eel" ink, apparently a brown, a touch lighter than Montblanc Toffee Brown in one comparison scan that I saw.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#8 haruka337

haruka337

( •̀ω•́ )✧

• Member - Gold

• 1,611 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2015 - 18:57

Yes, the original poster is talking about Bung Box Kabayaki of the Hamanako Eel.

When I get home today, I will try to do a quick comparison for of Eel & Toffee for this thread.

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

#9 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,607 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2015 - 19:51

Bungbox currently is out of the eight colors except for Dandyism and 4B. The prices are now 3240 yen (about $27 at today's exchange rate). Vanness has a few colors at $43 apiece.

It seems I didn't get to a review of the BB Eel when I had a pen filled, but it's definitely lighter, more of a golden brown rather than dark or reddish brown. At least that is what my notes indicate.

#10 kpatters5274

kpatters5274

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:47

Bungbox will only release 8 colors at a time. The 8 colors will be dictated by "popular demand", which, I imagine, will be based off of Japanese demand.

I'm curious, what were the 8, do you know? 

Bungbox currently is out of the eight colors except for Dandyism and 4B. The prices are now 3240 yen (about $27 at today's exchange rate). Vanness has a few colors at $43 apiece.

I noticed the other day that Vanness has removed their drop-down links on their website to both Bung Box and Kobe inks, so as far as I know you can't order them that way anymore. Dunno about calling/ emailing, though. I assume that has something to with the crazy demand/ constant selling out that's going on with Bung Box.

I am quite late to the Sailor ink game, so I keep waiting for the day (year?) when I'll actually be able to try this mythical ink!   ;)

#11 haruka337

haruka337

( •̀ω•́ )✧

• Member - Gold

• 1,611 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:05

I'm curious, what were the 8, do you know? 

I noticed the other day that Vanness has removed their drop-down links on their website to both Bung Box and Kobe inks, so as far as I know you can't order them that way anymore. Dunno about calling/ emailing, though. I assume that has something to with the crazy demand/ constant selling out that's going on with Bung Box.

I am quite late to the Sailor ink game, so I keep waiting for the day (year?) when I'll actually be able to try this mythical ink!   ;)

Yes. The 8 inks in the following page: http://bung-box.com/...cts/list84.html

When Vanness goes to a pen show, they take their remaining stock of unique inks, such as Kobe and Bungbox, with them--they were just at a show this weekend.

Their remaining stock will likely go back up sometime this week, but you can call or email now. Shipping for Bungbox inks will be free.

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

#12 Martini1R

Martini1R

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:25

Yes, the original poster is talking about Bung Box Kabayaki of the Hamanako Eel.

When I get home today, I will try to do a quick comparison for of Eel & Toffee for this thread.

That would be awesome.

#13 haruka337

haruka337

( •̀ω•́ )✧

• Member - Gold

• 1,611 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2015 - 17:08

Here's a cursory ink comparison of Mont Blanc Toffee Brown and Bungbox Kabayaki of the Hamanako Eel.

While looking at the following images, I'd like the viewer to keep a few things in mind:

1. I used a Matsubokkuri White Mole Glass Dip Pen to write the name of the inks; this glass pen distributes ink so evenly that high shading inks will not shade when using it. The written parts should not be taken too seriously
  2. The swab samples are one dimensional and light (as swabs often appear to be) and should not be considered representative of the ink color as a whole
  3. Ink splats are over saturated and should not be considered representative of the ink color as a whole
  4. Individually, each section of the ink comparison (ink cards) don't mean much, but, as a whole, I do believe that all three parts accurately displays the color range that is possible to achieve (depending on pen and nib used)

Compared to Kabayaki of the Hamanako Eel (Eel), Toffee Brown is rather blush:

fpn_1444750966__montblanc_toffee_bungbox

While Toffee Brown is a beautiful brown, it is rather dry and it shows in some of the letters. Eel, on the other hand, is nicely lubricated and the color! It falls within the sienna category for me:

fpn_1444750979__montblanc_toffee_bungbox

No sheen to be found, but the colors warm me.  :happycloud9:

fpn_1444750994__montblanc_toffee_bungbox

I have to say, that looking at these two colors side by side, both inks are decidedly different, though very beautiful.

Toffee Brown is a poor substitute for Eel.

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

#14 Martini1R

Martini1R

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:58

Thanks so much for the comparison. It is very useful and I have toffee brown and I can picture exactly what eel would like. At first I would imagine eel to be much darker and thick like sauce for the unagi :P But now I think the color is really more towards the actual color of the grilled eel BEFORE you put the sauce on LOL 

And I also agree eel is a special color... I could not really think of another brown ink that is almost the same in color, especially the undertone.

#15 haruka337

haruka337

( •̀ω•́ )✧

• Member - Gold

• 1,611 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2015 - 15:12

There is another ink that I thought would be similar to Eel, Ishida Bungu Hakodate Curry, but white_lotus tells me and shows in her review of Curry that the color is lighter and more golden.

All of these delicious inks--I'm getting the food sweats!

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

#16 Martini1R

Martini1R

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 16:37

Nothing makes an ink more tempting than a catchy cool name.

#17 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2015 - 22:02

I love how it shades, which is a big factor with old flex nibs. I hope they make more.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, sailor, bungbox, eel

Sponsored Content

|