Do You Use A Traveling Ink Pot?

Quynhlii

Those are a good solution. Don't they make those in opaque solid colors too?

Their use for carrying ink was really a secondary consideration to be honest. When travelling on my motorcycle, space is a premium and so I originally purchased these to hold various cosmetic items and save a heck of a lot of space and weight. The Nalgene bottles are available in different sizes although I am not sure if solid colours are an option. This particular size will also hold a few cartridges without fear of spillage. The main thing to look for is the name ... 'Nalgene' and 'leakproof'. The wider mouth is also handy as the smaller the bottle, the smaller the cap. Camping gear outlets often sell these here in the UK for a couple of pounds each. See here...http://www.elitemountainsupplies.co.uk/product/1756_nalgene-leak-proof-tavel-bottle-30ml.html

Regards,

Jeff

Edited by Jeffrey Garrett

My Instagram page.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• spaceink

• Jeffrey Garrett

• Quynhlii

I find the Visconti extremely useful for filling piston-filled pens. If you have ink samples, for instance, there is no way to get them into a piston pen without it being a big pain in the butt. The traveling inkwell allows me to pour in the sample, insert the pen, and fill it right up.

I've used mine to fill the HS at home. My brother said they work with a Pelikan M800. I don't travel a lot, so I have not used it that way. But it seems better to me to fill the HS from the ink pot vs a bottle.

Posted Image

My brother said they work with a Pelikan M800.

Your brother is correct - I've done it.

In fact the way they've been designed, I see no reason why they shouldn't work on pretty much any pen you poke in there.

If you like the Nalgene bottles, I believe Chesterfield inks come in them. You just have to soak the label off when you're done, and voila, nice bottles to ink on the go!

Sounds like you may be a good candidate for an eyedropper pen :). I carry spare pens. Easier than inky fingers on the go. I don't yet have a snifty snorkel or Sailor (although a Sailor is on the way yay). Other than that, I'd use vials like those from Goulets. I have lots of those as I love mixing inks all the time to change up my colours.

Vials can be stabilised by forming and baking a polymer clay base in which they can be inserted (remove vial before baking lol!). Polymer clay comes in great colours including metallic and even glow-in-the-dark if that takes your fancy. You can model them to whatever form you like.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Sounds like you may be a good candidate for an eyedropper pen :). I carry spare pens. Easier than inky fingers on the go. I don't yet have a snifty snorkel or Sailor (although a Sailor is on the way yay). Other than that, I'd use vials like those from Goulets. I have lots of those as I love mixing inks all the time to change up my colours.

Vials can be stabilised by forming and baking a polymer clay base in which they can be inserted (remove vial before baking lol!). Polymer clay comes in great colours including metallic and even glow-in-the-dark if that takes your fancy. You can model them to whatever form you like.

I used a block of wood and a 5/8 inch drill bit. Pretty rudimentary, but now I have something that will hold up to 10 vials.

My wife gave me one and I use it regularly.

One of my pens is too large for the neck of a Diamine 30ml bottle. Furthermore it allows me to use the last drop out of a bottle despite a huge nib size.

I nearly had a catastrophe with a P61 - the slender shape allowed it to slide into the ink pot, past the widest point and kept going. Fortunately the c/c was firmly attached or the section would have completely dropped off into the pot when I pulled the c/c out. Basically, it's only for use with open nib pens.

Regards,

Richard.

The TWSBI 30ml inkwell was an abject failure for air travel. If I hadn't bagged it my things would have turned the color of Bungbox Eel.

Another vote for the Nalgene bottles.

I use the 30ml bottles right now, but I want to try the 15ml variety as well, I just can't find them anywhere (in stock AND without ridiculous shipping cost that is).

I carry mine, together with a syringe and blunt needle in a ziploc baggie, inside another ziploc baggie. That way I have some extra security during transport and I use the inner baggie to put the bottle on when refilling, so there's a bit of protection in case of spilling ink. And if I do spill ink, I put it all back in the outer baggie and I can still throw it back in my workbag without everything turning blue.

I tried using the sample vials too, but they are easy to knock over and with some of them, the cap doesn't close as securely as I'd like.

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

I love the Visconti ink wells. You get full fills and they work with most pens. You can also use up every last drop of ink.