"i Got You A Pen Today"

Bill Broome

Sitting at dinner in a restaurant with friends a few days ago, my wife turned to me and said, " I got you a pen today." As she rummaged in her purse, she told how she had overheard one of her colleagues in the nursing school office about to throw away a fountain pen she had found in the common pen cup used by all the instructors. She'd been cleaning out the cup, throwing away pens that did not write, picked one up, declared that it was a fountain pen. "Who uses those anymore? And it doesn't even have any ink in it . I'm throwing it away."

My alert wife said, "Let me have it. I'll take it to my husband. He's interested in those things."

It had a black body with a silver colored cap. I immediately recognized the Parker clip. I pulled the slip cap off and noted a hooded nib. I unscrewed the barrel, and saw on the filler sleeve, PARKER "51"... " To fill press ribbed bar 4 times..." etc. "Use superchrome ink, etc." ( aficionados will know the precise words) .

I took it home, flushed it, inked it with Aurora black, and tried it out. It was smooth and wet. Studying at under bright light I saw no damage except one tiny scratch on the cap.

I have been reading off and on about P 51s for several years, sometimes considering trying to acquire one to see what all the fuss was about. Now I know.

I am feeling pretty lucky. Can anyone tell me when it was manufactured?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Bill Broome

• gweimer1

• Feanaaro

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look closely at the barrel, right at the clutch ring, you should see the Parker imprint, and a date code stamped there.

A free Parker 51? It doesn't get much better. Nice!

Man, that's awesome. Your wife is a keeper. My husband has flat out told me he'll never buy me a pen because he has no idea as to what I want (seriously? It's not like I don't talk about them all the time, or use them almost exclusively...). Okay, admittedly, I do have a lot of the pens I really wanted at this point, and once everything is repaired and tested I should probably think about thinning the herd a bit....

So, can you tell what sort of nib it's got on it? My best 51 is the Plum Demi, and I *think* it's an M. But while I could brag about the time around a year ago where I found a late MkII Burgundy Aero and a Cedar Blue 51 Vac for cheap because they had the wrong caps on them, that doesn't even begin to match "free" in the sumgai department.

And yeah, what Feanaaro said -- the drill around these parts is "pix or it didn't happen!"

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Lucky. I also heard of a lady who went to a Salvation army shop (? could be something else) and fetched an Omas arco brown set (FP and BP) for 5 dollars. I wish thing like these would happen to me too!

Lucky. I also heard of a lady who went to a Salvation army shop (? could be something else) and fetched an Omas arco brown set (FP and BP) for 5 dollars. I wish thing like these would happen to me too!

Be lucky that you don't run into the antique dealer than wants $85 for a "vintage" Hero fountain pen. All the other pens were similarly priced WAY UP.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Be lucky that you don't run into the antique dealer than wants $85 for a "vintage" Hero fountain pen. All the other pens were similarly priced WAY UP.

Seriously? That's rather messed up.

Bill, that's great. A wonderful find, and I'm happy for you.

The pen sounds nice as well...

;)

Sumgai has a wife who can get free Parker 51 fountain pens.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Or the Waterman with the nib bent in half for nearly 300 bucks....

I've looked occasionally at places like the Salvation Army stores. Never seen anything but brand new 10 packs of ballpoints.... :(

I occasionally get lucky in antiques malls -- especially ones that are a little off the beaten track around here. But last week I went to the place where I got the two sumgai 51s last year, and the best of the bunch was a Sheaffer Tuckaway for $30 US and I passed because I just don't know enough about Sheaffers.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Now go back to the lady and tell she could have gotten up to $50 for it!

I'm just waiting for the people who ran the estate sale where I got the Parker 41 for 50¢ to see me on TV (local version of "Antiques Road Show" being interviewed on the sidewalk about that pen and the $12 Lucky Curve).... (I'll know it's them by the mushroom cloud when they go ballistic...).