Advice Needed: Pelikan 400Nn And 400

kapilapshankar

I have come across two 1950s Pelikans. One is 400NN, other 400. Both tortoise brown, 1950s, M nibs. No box or anything. Do not appear NOS.

The pictures look nice, but need advice if these beauties are worth EUR 100 a piece.

Please help.

Thank you.

Kapil

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kapilapshankar

• jkingrph

• sargetalon

• Starguard

Firstly - let me begin by saying beauty (and therefore value) is in the eye of the beholder.

Having said that, the nibs of the 50s pens are lovely with semiflex, and the tortoise pattern is really pretty.

The NN means it was newer than the 400, so in chronological order the 400 came out first, then the 400N, and finally the 400NN.

I think they're worth the price if they are in good working and acceptable cosmetic condition.

Enjoy your pen(s).

~Epic

Edited by Lord Epic
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Firstly - let me begin by saying beauty (and therefore value) is in the eye of the beholder.

Having said that, the nibs of the 50s pens are lovely with semiflex, and so the tortoise pattern is really pretty.

The NN means it was newer than the 400, so in chronological order the 400 came out first, then the 400N, and finally the 400NN.

I think they're worth the price if they are in good working and acceptable cosmetic condition.

Enjoy your pen(s).

~Epic

++

Regards

Jeff

100 euro each is very reasonable if they are in good condition. Hidden issues that may pop up on pens of this age could be a shrunk piston seal which might leak and the NN could have a polystyrene nib collar which is prone to breaking. Not reasons not to purchase but just things that may incur extra cost after the fact. Still, the price is reasonable, even factoring in after sales service. Both pens are great and well worth owning. The 400NN is one of my all time favorites.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

but need advice if these beauties are worth EUR 100 a piece.

Hello,

Did you mean each is 100 EUR or both for 100 EUR????

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

it is a great price if these are top of the line best quality pens. It is a very good price even if they have the standard cosmetic issues,ie micr scscratches i little brassing etc, but still write well. And as Sargetalon says a very rerasonable price iven if there a re a few minior repair issues enneeded.

And, ign nmy opinion they reallty are wonderful pens, to use as we llas to look atr.v aud it is still

if is a verry good privr evne if thrrtr str smetinc uss

Important question to the seller: Are this pens recently serviced and does he guarantee for functionality?

If not, I think 100€ per pen is quite enough.

C.

PS: Have a close look for hairlines at the cap.

100 euro each is very reasonable if they are in good condition. Hidden issues that may pop up on pens of this age could be a shrunk piston seal which might leak and the NN could have a polystyrene nib collar which is prone to breaking. Not reasons not to purchase but just things that may incur extra cost after the fact. Still, the price is reasonable, even factoring in after sales service. Both pens are great and well worth owning. The 400NN is one of my all time favorites.

Thank you. Having read your blog and lots of your knowledgeable posts I was actually meant to ask you this a long time ago- what is your favourite Pelikan!

My favorite pen is the 400NN tortoise - I'm not a Pelikan expert, more a fan (I own approx. 12 400NNs). If the pen you're interested in is in good shape, that's a great price.

I appreciated others' expertise on this thread, btw. I need to drop by FPN more often.

Guns, Gams, and Gumshoes: http://writingpis.wordpress.com/

Colleen Collins Books http://colleencollinsbooks.com/

I'm watching some 400NN's on ebay at the moment, if they mention cracking on the cap, is that an instant no buy or can the caps be repaired or replaced easily?

Edited by Katherines

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

I'm watching some 400NN's on ebay at the moment, if they mention cracking on the cap, is that an instant no buy or can the caps be repaired or replaced easily?

Hairlines in the caps are very common on this model. It's due to a metal inner cap that stands rigid and doesn't shrink over time like the plastic does Has no effect on function, especially if small. Not really worth repairing and caps are not replaced easily (shrinkage over time can make for a poor fit when caps are swapped). Certainly should not be sold as mint if present but not a deal breaker by any stretch.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Cracks in the cap are common and not a real issue. The thing to look for that would be a deal breaker is a crack in the section.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Thank you both! That helps a lot, I didn't want to bid and then find out I would have an even more expensive repair after.

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

Thank you everyone. Really appreciate your insights. As an update on the original question - I did end buying both the pens last evening after an in person "interview" with the pens.

They are beautiful - and in very good condition for their age.

I will post pictures and writing samples over the next couple of days.

Thank you.

I have several of the 400 series pens, assorted models, and the nibs with one exception are the best of all the Pelikan's I have old and new.

Regards

Jeff

I paid 105 Euro on German Ebay for a 400n.* Never expected to own a 400n at all, much less in tortoise.

Sometimes you can get a 400nn for 70-120. Depending on how long you hunt. And tortoise don't cost more. Mine is green stripped. Rare...'56 friction feed....it became a so much for plan A, in I'd wanted the nib for my '90's M400 Tortoise.

I'd spend the 100 on the 400. I have a couple green stripped ones, and am missing a Tortoise. Go for it. Get them both.

The tortoise I have from then in the 500 and 400n is lighter than my '90's M400.

For the 500 it is good so, I put the rolled gold cap on the darker M400 and it did not look as good, made the darker tortoise look duller.

*That was the week I decided my grail pen a herringbone Soennecken 111 Extra was not going to show up, so spend the fortune on Pelikans. I even got a 500 tortoise for 160 euro + the 400n in tortoise.

That had never been a grail pen of mine....in the first time I looked 150+ was big money. So I'd never had that pen in mind.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.