The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pen Shops In Glasgow, Scotland?

scotland

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PaperQueen

PaperQueen

Hand over the chocolate and no one gets hurt

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:29

Anyone have a pen shop or two (or twelve) to suggest I visit while in Glasgow next spring? Would love to find one that sells a broad selection of Akkerman inks, if possible (much easier to choose colors in person, not to mention more fun). 

I'm also making a run to Dumfries and Carlisle (both in Scotland), then Dublin (Ireland) and maybe---iffy---Belfast.

This happy, single malt, Scot-to-the-core chick plans to return home with a few treats.  ;)

Edited by PaperQueen, 07 October 2015 - 01:32.

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...???  : : : sigh : : : 

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

Sponsored Content

#2 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:40

akkerman inks are only available in netherland... not sure where else without an online access

#3 Sandy Fry

Sandy Fry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:31

The only one I know of in Glesga is The Pen Shop on Buchanan Street right in the city center. No Akkerman ink though.

Bring me back a chip buttie, black pudding, broon sauce and a bottle of Irn Bru please....lol.

Alba gu Brath!!!

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the
domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which
no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

#4 checkrail

checkrail

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:05

Neither Dumfries nor Carlisle have anything other than the regular W H Smith basic selection. The citizens of Carlisle will be interested to learn they have moved to Scotland, by the way!
Kind regards,
Timothy

#5 PaperQueen

PaperQueen

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2015 - 15:18

The citizens of Carlisle will be interested to learn they have moved to Scotland, by the way!
Kind regards,
Timothy

My typo, Timothy. :::ooooooooops:::

The trip is primarily* to trace family history, much of which straddles the Scotland/England border (generational births alternated between the two, in a 5-10 mile radius). Thank goodness my record keeping is better than my evening forum posting. ;)

"Primarily" = Part family history, part continuation of my ongoing search for lovely single malt whiskies, plus a run through Ireland so I can visit Beleek and Waterford (lifelong bucket list).

Edited by PaperQueen, 08 October 2015 - 15:21.

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

#6 Sandy Fry

Sandy Fry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:40

Akkerman ink can be had online from Vanness Pens in Littlerock, AK

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the
domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which
no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

#7 Highbinder

Highbinder

Strange

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2015 - 13:01

The Pen Shop is worth a visit even though they don't carry a particularly wide range of stock. The gallery it's in - Princes Square - is very pretty. 

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i 

#8 PaperQueen

PaperQueen

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2015 - 23:28

Akkerman ink can be had online from Vanness Pens in Littlerock, AK

David

I'd like to see color swatches in person before ordering, since samples aren't an option. :::drats:::

The Pen Shop is worth a visit even though they don't carry a particularly wide range of stock. The gallery it's in - Princes Square - is very pretty. 

It's on my Must Visit list; just being in a pen shop makes me happy. Besides, maybe I'll find something pretty to remember the trip by.  ;)

#9 Renfield

Renfield

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:25

Anyone have a pen shop or two (or twelve) to suggest I visit while in Glasgow next spring? Would love to find one that sells a broad selection of Akkerman inks, if possible (much easier to choose colors in person, not to mention more fun). 

I'm also making a run to Dumfries and Carlisle (both in Scotland), then Dublin (Ireland) and maybe---iffy---Belfast.

This happy, single malt, Scot-to-the-core chick plans to return home with a few treats.  ;)

Not sure about Glasgow's offerings, even though I lived there for 10 years, but The Pen Corner in Dublin is a really nice shop in Dublins City Centre. 

Great stock of pens, knowledgeable staff, and a good place to waste an hour or two

Posted Image Posted Image

#10 PaperQueen

PaperQueen

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:36

Not sure about Glasgow's offerings, even though I lived there for 10 years, but The Pen Corner in Dublin is a really nice shop in Dublins City Centre. 

Great stock of pens, knowledgeable staff, and a good place to waste an hour or two

Wonderful--I'll add it to my list. Thanks, Renfield

#11 Trail_Dog

Trail_Dog

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:03

Bring me back a chip buttie, black pudding, broon sauce and a bottle of Irn Bru please....lol.

Oh great, well now this exiled Scot is hungry. Thanks a lot.  ;)

Life is too short to hurry through.

~ Kenny Salwey - The Last River Rat

#12 Kyrina

Kyrina

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2015 - 20:05

I only get to add that the in person fountain pen shopping is really bad. The Pen Shop is sort of underwhelming, overpriced, and just sad. I do wish I had some nice options to add, even if too late to apply for the question here. It does make me want to go to The Pen Shop anyway to just play with pens I can't justify really buying. 

#13 PaperQueen

PaperQueen

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2015 - 16:08

I only get to add that the in person fountain pen shopping is really bad. The Pen Shop is sort of underwhelming, overpriced, and just sad. I do wish I had some nice options to add, even if too late to apply for the question here. It does make me want to go to The Pen Shop anyway to just play with pens I can't justify really buying. 

Thanks for chiming in, Kyrina. Sounds like my pen lurking will need to hold off until the second week of the trip (Dublin)---better to spend the time in Scotland researching, looking for good chip buttie (my carb lovin' heart, be still!), and sipping whisky. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scotland

Sponsored Content

|