Adding Flex To A Nib

TassoBarbasso

Hi Guys,

I'm considering ordering an Aurora Talentum with nib customization from nibs.com. I'm interested in their "added flex" customization, and I wonder if anybody has any experience with a customized Aurora nib with added flex from this seller? The two things I'm mostly interested in are:

- Is there a lot of line variation?

- How more fragile does the nib become? Anyone had bad experiences?

I'm still undecided between the customization made via removal of material underneath the nib, or the one done by carving "holes" in the sides of the nib.

Feel free to share any experience with this seller, not necessarily with Aurora nib, of course. If any of you had a writing sample of an Aurora nib with added flex, that would be awesome!

best,

Fabio

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TassoBarbasso

• linearM

• Mauricio

• jar

Here's my guess -- The more a nib flexes, the greater the line variation. Every nib flexes. Believe me, I am 200 pounds. I can flex that piece of metal. (But, I won't.) I would suppose that somebody "softens" the metal by heat or acid.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Here's my guess -- The more a nib flexes, the greater the line variation.

Well, this goes without saying :)

As to "every nib flexes": sure, but it also needs to go back to the initial position!

Ok, looks like my initial post might not be very clear...

I'm not asking how flex can be added (I already know). Nor am I asking how flex works. What I want to know is if anyone had any nib customized by the guys at Nibs.com, and what your experience is (especially in terms of fragility of the nib)

:)

Thanks!

Ok, looks like my initial post might not be very clear...

I'm not asking how flex can be added (I already know). Nor am I asking how flex works. What I want to know is if anyone had any nib customized by the guys at Nibs.com, and what your experience is (especially in terms of fragility of the nib)

:)

Thanks!

Yes, I have had nib customization by the good folk at Nibs.com but certainly would not have or attempt to have flex added. It is not a matter of whether or not John could do anything but rather that I think it is silly to try to modify a nib to add flex.

If I want a pen with a flex nib I go to one of the dozen or so sellers that actually know anything about flex nibs and buy from them.

The nibs in Aurora Talentum pens are as rigid as nails. To attempt to modify those nibs for "added flex" would be the equivalent of modifying a military tank in attempts to convert it into a sports car.

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

I do own a Danitrio Densho that came, originally, from nibs.com -- and it had flex added by his good self, Mr. Mottishaw. I bought the pen (traded, actually) secondhand and can tell you that the flexibility in this particular (18kt) nib is really good -- almost to vintage standards. The nib is a fine and it can display a good deal of line variation and flexibility.

I don't think anything compares with my old Watermans, Swans or Pelikans; but this one is a pretty-good second...

Good luck if you do go this route!

PS: Here's a thought: why don't you look at an Omas with the extra-flexible nib? Or even (since I see that Mauricio has posted just ahead of me) a modified TWSBI or Pelikan from VintagePen.net?

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

Thank you all for the kind answers!

I should have also stated that I'm not looking for vintage type flex, the one that goes from EF to BBBB, which is of course unattainable (and I already have my good share of vintage Watermans and Omas with significant flex, btw :) ), but rather a bit of line variation to add character to my writing.

I'm planning to take an M nib and have some flex added, hoping that it would reach a BB at least; not sure if this is plausible, though?

If you are looking for line variation to add character to your writing, have you thought of having a pen ground to a cursive italic? Below are three writing samples; one done with a Pelikan M630 with a BB nib, one done with a Scriptorium pen with a JoWo #6 nib modified to cursive italic by Pendleton Brown, and the third sample is written with a Waterman 94 with a factory flex nib. I didn't list them in the order the sample was done. Can you tell which is which?

If you are looking for line variation to add character to your writing, have you thought of having a pen ground to a cursive italic? Below are three writing samples; one done with a Pelikan M630 with a BB nib, one done with a Scriptorium pen with a JoWo #6 nib modified to cursive italic by Pendleton Brown, and the third sample is written with a Waterman 94 with a factory flex nib. I didn't list them in the order the sample was done. Can you tell which is which?

Mmmmh let me guess: Scriptorium - Waterman - Pelikan?

I used to like italics and stubs, but not anymore. They don't fit my handwriting and it just looks messy. A bit of flex makes it brilliant, though. Besides, I want to use the nib of the Talentum on my Aurora 85th anniversary, so it has to be an Aurora nib.

Very good! You got the order correct! It sounds as if you have your mind made up so go with the Talentum nib and enjoy.

I have tried a lot of customizations by Mr. Mottishaw.

My advice is that if you want line variation in a flexible nib, its ok to add a bit more. But if the nib is rigid, better go for a cursive italic.

Why not get a pre 2004 or before Aurora, from back then they made semi-flex nibs.

I looked at an Arura 'Verdi' from that time, some 3-4 years ago...on sale of course. Decided on an MB Wolfe instead.

The Aurora was as flexible as my Geha 725, I'd taken as comparison pen, but not quite so smooth. The Aurora was narrower.

Aurora was once famous for narrow slightly toothy nibs with semi-flex.

If that is a Factory pen and nib, it could be possible they are offering their old flex in a limited basis, with out chopping out the side of the nib...like an Ahab Mod.

Check with Aurora themselves.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hi , I've had a 14 k Pelikan nib modified by John Mottishaw for extra flex and it's amazingly good . It provides extra "suspension" and softness to my writing experience as well as some line variation . I will certainly be doing this again with other nibs .

It requires a lighter and more subtle touch when writing ; however , I have quickly adjusted to that .

Thank you all for the kind answers!

I should have also stated that I'm not looking for vintage type flex, the one that goes from EF to BBBB, which is of course unattainable (and I already have my good share of vintage Watermans and Omas with significant flex, btw :) ), but rather a bit of line variation to add character to my writing.

I'm planning to take an M nib and have some flex added, hoping that it would reach a BB at least; not sure if this is plausible, though?

Tasso,

The issue is not only related with the nib capabilities, but also with what a nib was designed and manufactured for and its longevity. As I have posted in FPN before, you can see lots of videos of extreme things done out there, including 30+ people getting stuffed inside a Mini Cooper automobile to get included in the Guinness Book of Records. Since that Mini Copper was not designed and manufactured for those purposes, how long do you think that automobile will last? The same applies to nibs.

As stated in my previous post, the nib in an Aurora Talentum pen is a nail. The only way someone can attempt to transform that nib into offering some flexibility is to drastically alter the geometry of that nib, by cutting the shoulders of the nib and thinning out the nib in terms of thickness of its gold plate. Since this was a very rigid nib to start with, lots of gold will have to be trimmed from the nib so the tines can start to spread apart, severely compromising the nib from an structural standpoint. That nib will be so severely distressed and with a substantially reduced lifetime as well as very prone to over springing, to brake at once, prone to scratchiness, etc. This modification is irreversible. Auroras are wonderful (and expensive) pens. I would not do this to any of my high end pens.

If you are looking for a little or a lot of flex in your pens, your best avenue will be to consider pens and nibs that were designed and manufactured for flex purposes, and beware of lots of misrepresentation about flexible nib in the marketplace, including from pen manufacturers and pen sellers wanting to catch on the current popularity of flex nibs. If you want a little flex, all you have to do with a vintage flex nib is not push it hard, but just enough for your limited flex desires ... and this nib will last you for a lifetime!

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

I bought a Platinum Nice Pur (14kt) nib and paid for the Spencerian Customization. The nib is really thin which enables hairline fine lines. I get line variation, but at the xxf-f/fm scale. I wanted it for a specific purpose- lettering that requires really fine lines. That nib did not have notches on the side and I believe the times were thinned and the shoulders modified to allow the nib to flex easily.

I have played with pens that others have modified and I have always been able to achieve great line variation quite easily. I love the Pilot FA nibs for their easy flex and the Nakimi Falcon nib because it flexes when needed but still retains the ability to be used as a pen for writing. That being said, I still buy vintage flex pens to play with and I have a few on the way. There's a lot to be said for a Waterman with a beautiful, flexible nib. (Those will easily give you that variation with the right nib.)

the are ways to add springiness to the nib one is by narrowing the shoulders making a spear head the other one would be called the falcon mod which would be drilling holes similar to the falcon by exterbrook and by Pilot

or if your going to design a nib from scratch you can have a spear like points with added vertical cuts (when viewed top down) this design would look like the G pen nibs by Leonhardt, Nikko, Zebra and Tachikawa, also the rose nib and fine rose by J.Herbin

Edited by Algester