What Is The Most Expensive Bottle Of Ink You Have Ever Bought?

Morwen

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morwen

• lapis

• Barkingpig

• BayesianPrior

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hakase Sepia looks interesting - is it real "old-fashined" sepia ink?

I believe that it is indeed. I know I like the way it "LOOKS" & have experienced NO issues with it's performance. I may have 30 "browns" & definitely like them each for different reasons. (Probably because they are NOT "Blue nor Black" since I associate those colors with the frequently used inks of my youth.) This ink is just "subtle" in comparison with Maruzen's Athena or any of the other Sepia's I have tried.

I do NOT regret spending nearly $100. for it. I have certainly consumed alcohol that cost more than that & did NOT have anything left to "use another day" that would provide added enjoyment. I have no desire to spend the money for NOR wait for a Hakase pen's production so this was my way to "sample the goods" & have found it to be a pleasure.

For its quantity (30 ml), Caran d'Ache Grand Canyon.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

So, I've been playing with my collection these days, and as I have more than 100 bottles, it has cost me quite bit, especially my full line of Iroshizuku (well, almost - could not bring myself to buy Kosumosu, pink, blyagh!).

But the single most expensive bottle I own is my Kingdom Note Sasakia Charonda - cost me around 45 USD off ebay. Yeah, I know, horrible - but I had to have at least one of those. Alas, it will remain the only one. The ink is good and color and a very good performer, but there are others who match it out there at a third of the price. So, which one is yours? Do you feel it was worth it?

I bought just about every Iro sample, and ended up buying three bottles only: Ku-Jaku, Tsuki-Yo and Kon-Peki. So that would be my Most Expensive.

Alas, I am also a complete sucker for MB LE inks. And Sailor inks.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I don't have any MB Limited editions, the colors available did not appeal to me, but I have Royal Blue, irish green, Toffee Brown, Lavender Purple and Corn Poppy red of the regular ones, and I love them all in terms of color and performance. I also have a few Kobe inks (Made by Sailor afaik), and I love them.

I bought just about every Iro sample, and ended up buying three bottles only: Ku-Jaku, Tsuki-Yo and Kon-Peki. So that would be my Most Expensive.

Alas, I am also a complete sucker for MB LE inks. And Sailor inks.

A bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire that I bought last year: $45.00 + $15.00 shipping from Europe. Totally worth it!!! :thumbup:

fpn_1444226675__sapphire.jpg

Edited by carlos.q

By the way, I am not complaining of the price of any inks, or judging or anything - indeed, any item is worth as much as a person is willing to pay for it, and its value is measured by the usefulness/enjoyment it brings the new owner. I was thinking - I paid 45 bucks for a bottle of ink, am I an outlier? Are there people who have paid even more and enjoyed what they got enough to feel happy with the purchase? I do not really regret my sasakia charonda, I had to have at least one Kingdom Note in my collection. Someday I might get a Hieronimus :).

I tell my partner constantly,"Aren't you glad I'm asking for bottles of inks instead of Hermès purses?"

Most expensive bottle of ink was Athena Maruzen Sepia at $39.00 and my first bottle of Iroshizuku ran me the same amount. On the whole, I've purchased most of my inks far below average sales price. I try to make my monthly ink budget stretch as far as it can. :P

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I don't have any MB Limited editions, the colors available did not appeal to me, but I have Royal Blue, irish green, Toffee Brown, Lavender Purple and Corn Poppy red of the regular ones, and I love them all in terms of color and performance. I also have a few Kobe inks (Made by Sailor afaik), and I love them.

Yes, the Kobe inks are from Sailor. Some of my all-time favorites, along with their regular Seasonals. And I have two new Kobe blues on the way, lol.

Regular MB inks...Toffee Brown, Corn Poppy Red, Oyster, a vintage black and blue, and Midnight Blue. Eek.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

$59.95 for Sailor Sky High, purchased two months ago.

Steve

I just bought a bottle of Sky High today for ~$18.80, including shipping.

Maybe I should have bought some more bottles...

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

I thought it was discontinued. I bought my bottle through Amazon. Where can you buy Sky High for $18.80? Sounds like a deal. With all the hoopla I had to give it a try.

Steve

I thought it was discontinued. I bought my bottle through Amazon. Where can you buy Sky High for $18.80? Sounds like a deal. With all the hoopla I had to give it a try.

Steve

It's discontinued as far as I know. I bought it from a Swedish retailer, I guess they have some left in stock they want to get rid off.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

For price per ounce, probably Caran d'Ache Grand Canyon, although I bought it on clearance at Bromfield Pen Shop last Christmas, so didn't pay full price.

For absolute price, the unopened 8 oz. bottle of vintage Quink Violet on Ebay, at $50.

For, well, whatever you want for criteria? My first bottle of Noodler's Kung Te Cheng. Knocked it off the bathroom counter after a single pen fill, and had to wait six weeks for the Goulets to get it back in stock. Not to mention having to clean up the ink and glass.... :crybaby:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Interesting topic. I think for me it's Iroshizuku...followed by ST Dupont (do they still make ink btw?).

I haven't found any ink line I like better than Iroshizuku so I haven't really been buying bottles of anything other than Iroshizuku and Waterman.

Most expensive ink? Easy.

It was a 30ml bottle of Diamine Eclipse. I opened it and then promptly dumped it all over a old desk whose finish was worn away, the ink soaking very nicely into the oak desktop. Not one drop of ink made it to a pen.