A Melange Of Writing Styles

caliken

I was searching through some of my files of previous work, and on impulse. with the aid of Photoshop, I decided to do this compilation, just for fun. It turned out quite well, so I thought that I'd post it here.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/melange%201000.jpg

Edited by Ken Fraser

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intellidepth

• Anne-Sophie

• caliken

• T4TEXAS

Very impressive, Ken.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Ken, your art is, as always, the most astonishing.

Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Wow, an art that is appreciated. I dream to write only as your one word "artistic". So readable and simple, and difficult. i would love to be artistic but I am not blessed. But I am stubborn like most and try to learn and squeeze as much as possible from the universal power readily available to everyone.

Your writing talent is beautiful to look at.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Ken. I am always amazed at the variety of styles you can produce so beautifully. A sampler like this is wonderful to help choose a style. For example, in your sampler I can see my first calligraphic style I might like to learn after I do better at freehanding Spencerian-ish writing (which has kind of morphed from its purer version into a weighted version at present. Exploring my personal preferences.)

What is the style called please that is represented by the word 'calligraphy' just under the centre of the page, beneath the word 'handwriting'? It's the word with sharp ends to some letters that sometimes join the next letter and sometimes don't. Am I correct in guessing it is achieved with a pointed pen in an oblique holder please? Thanks.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Thank you Ken. I am always amazed at the variety of styles you can produce so beautifully. A sampler like this is wonderful to help choose a style. For example, in your sampler I can see my first calligraphic style I might like to learn after I do better at freehanding Spencerian-ish writing (which has kind of morphed from its purer version into a weighted version at present. Exploring my personal preferences.)

What is the style called please that is represented by the word 'calligraphy' just under the centre of the page, beneath the word 'handwriting'? It's the word with sharp ends to some letters that sometimes join the next letter and sometimes don't. Am I correct in guessing it is achieved with a pointed pen in an oblique holder please? Thanks.

The style is one devised by calligrapher Mike Kecseg. The complete alphabet is available in a portfolio "Pointed Pen Variations" which is available from John Neal Booksellers.

This example was written with a Esterbrook 357 nib in an oblique penholder in Higgins Eternal ink.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Kecseglettering800-3.jpg

Edited by Ken Fraser

Thank you Ken!

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

:( Pointed Pen Variations by Mike Kecseg is out of print at John Neals. Have asked if it's avail as a download for a fee from somewhere that I may have overlooked on their site. I like the look of it for small sets of words and would love it to become my fancy style for short notecards etc.

• 3 months later...

The style is one devised by calligrapher Mike Kecseg. The complete alphabet is available in a portfolio "Pointed Pen Variations" which is available from John Neal Booksellers.

This example was written with a Esterbrook 357 nib in an oblique penholder in Higgins Eternal ink.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Kecseglettering800-3.jpg

Such a beautiful and unusual hand!

Your rendition is flawless, as always.

Thank you for sharing!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Thanks again, Ken. Inspiring.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png