• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BobGast

• Algester

• rwilsonedn

• Luma

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It will probably take a little over a week before I get it. I am already looking forward to my next pen. I have a TWSBI 580 green pen on order and just got another Noodlers Ahab Jade Green (I think it is, I am hoping to have better luck with this one than my clear one which I will eventually get to work correctly. Maybe if I heat seat the nib one more time.

What your going to be after the shiki oriori pro gear slim is pretty much the finish on the barrel because this was one of those pens that never got out of japan until sailor decided that they should be selling it

I'm still waiting for the meigetsu to be available in my country because I think its the only pen they have contending to the takashimaya progear secret edition which was a see thru white progear with gold and rhodium trim to choose from yes see thru white...

Edited by Algester

hmmm so I read from your post that Sailor didn't think this pen was worthy of selling? -or- did I read you post all wrong? I bought this pen on an assumption that the nibs on Sailor pens are top notch. I did not know that this pen is available in the U.S. I bought it from a Japanese source. I was actually considering one of their demonstrator pens.

Then I take it this is going to be a good pen when I get it? Because I was eyeing a lot more Sailor pens that I am considering as time goes by and I can afford another one. I am a pretty much of a complete newbie with regard to fountain pens and to think it all started with a purchase of a Zebra cartridge pen, a Pilot Metropolitan and I became hooked completely. My nice pens I have a Pilot 3776 Century, a Lamy 2000 (and yes I am getting used to it, I now love it), and I am hoping that the Sailor will fit in nicely right next to them in my pen case.

Should I be investing in Sailor inks as well to use in my pen?

Dear BobGast,

Send it to me and I will try it out! No promises on returning it though.... Hahaha. Kidding.

LuMA

On a more serious note, I do not think you NEED to use just Sailor inks in your pen. It is a matter of choice. When you receive it, try it out and decide whether you would like it to write a bit more wet or dry and then go from there to decide your next step. Paper, ink and the pen all can be tweaked to suit your style of writing. Now if you WANT (as all normal people would want to try Sailor inks, right?) to use the same ink and pen combo, go for it!!! Have fun :D

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I think you will be delighted. IMHO the only pen you mention that will approach the Sailor in quality is the Platinum 3776. Fit, finish, and the overall feel of the pen when you open it, fill it, and use it should be splendid, and rather uniquely a Sailor feel.

Based on my limited sample of these brands, I suspect you will find the Sailor nib is somewhat like the Platinum in having a very subtle level of feedback, but perhaps a bit more glide to it. Ink flow should be marvelous and consistent with Sailor or Pilot/Namiki inks in particular, but in general with any reputable fountain-pen ink.

Enjoy!

ron

Well inks are a YMMV case by case basis if you trully fancy sailor's color offering of which has a lot then feel free to invest as for the pen its also a YMMV base by case basis my good preference may not be your good preference I once tried sailor's cheaper offerings to know how the brand feels and well it wasnt a good experience really Im seriously not the type of guy who would like to pay 100+USD for a pen without loving the brand

The only exemption was Pilot because I love the brand but even then when I bought my custom heritage 91 it didnt costed me 100USD since i bought it during my trip to japan...

Edited by Algester

Theyr'e good, sturdy pens with a large variety of nibs...your anecdote suggests that Sailor simply realized there would be a bigger market for the pen than just Japan.

Thank you all for the replies. I look forward to receiving it. For the time being I might have to use American ink. I just went through my pen budget for a few weeks. Supposedly it comes with a cartridge so that will be a big help. When I do go to Sailor for ink, I will want the same color as the barrel.

Sailor pens are probably the best for that money. Even better than platinum 3776. If you do not like tooth in your mind I'd recommend going for a medium rather than SF.

A lifelong FP user...