Twsbi Eco: Disassembly Gone Wrong?

Blazing

Hello,

I recently bought myself a TWSBI Eco and all was going well until I discovered upon trying to reink the pen that the piston was stuck. I disassembled it, however it seems that I've done that wrong and disassembled it with the piston not all the way down. As the picture shows, this means that I cannot screw the knob back in and so I can't reassemble the parts. I've watched Goulet's TWSBI 580 reassembly video and it doesn't seem to help me in this certain scenario.

Image [taken from my phone and brightened to make it clearer, apologies for the bad quality]:

http://www.imgur.com/bMkzS0e [piston is all the way up rather than all the way down]

http://www.imgur.com/DpJQP8M [once I get the piston down, I cannot screw the piston knob in or it will move the piston back up as I screw it]

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Blazing

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blazing

• Kiaxa

• welcmhm

Top Posters In This Topic

What you need to do is fiddle with the piston assembly. Assemble the piston assembly outside the pen such that the piston is fully retracted when you screw the blind cap all the way down. This can be done by screwing the blind cap onto the assembly and at a certain point insert the piston into the assembly and keep screwing the blind cap down. After a bit of experimentation you should be able to screw the blind cap down to the end of its travel and the piston should retract all the way (there should be a little tiny bit of space in-between the end of the piston and the assembly). Once the assembly is assembled and the piston is retracted, carefully unscrew the blind cap until you can fit your wrench. If you unscrew to far the piston will come out and you will have to start over. Once you can get your wrench around the assembly screw the assembly back into the barrel.

Sorry for this being so long winded but I hope it helps. The TWSBI Eco requires some trial and error to put back together

Don't mind me, I like to ramble... A LOT

What you need to do is fiddle with the piston assembly. Assemble the piston assembly outside the pen such that the piston is fully retracted when you screw the blind cap all the way down. This can be done by screwing the blind cap onto the assembly and at a certain point insert the piston into the assembly and keep screwing the blind cap down. After a bit of experimentation you should be able to screw the blind cap down to the end of its travel and the piston should retract all the way (there should be a little tiny bit of space in-between the end of the piston and the assembly). Once the assembly is assembled and the piston is retracted, carefully unscrew the blind cap until you can fit your wrench. If you unscrew to far the piston will come out and you will have to start over. Once you can get your wrench around the assembly screw the assembly back into the barrel.

Sorry for this being so long winded but I hope it helps. The TWSBI Eco requires some trial and error to put back together

Thing is, I can't seem to get the actual piston inside the barrel out of the pen, which is why I cannot even follow the stepsa on Goulet's video.

EDIT: I've managed to get the piston out now, but the method Goulet is showing doesn't seem to work for me. It's not progressing to the extra step like how he is doing it.

Edited by Blazing

It seems to be fixed now, but I'm unsure about a dirty ring of blue near the end of the piston butt. Uh, perhaps it's better to present it in a picture.

http://www.imgur.com/VaIlA5p

Is this anything to be worried about?

Edited by Blazing

It seems to be fixed now, but I'm unsure about a dirty ring of blue near the end of the piston butt. Uh, perhaps it's better to present it in a picture.

http://www.imgur.com/VaIlA5p

Is this anything to be worried about?

I'd say take the assembly out wash off the piston and apply some of the included silicon grease to it. But no its not something to be extremely worried about because the piston is double sealed.

But the blue around the first seal shows that ink is getting through the first seal

Don't mind me, I like to ramble... A LOT

I'd say take the assembly out wash off the piston and apply some of the included silicon grease to it. But no its not something to be extremely worried about because the piston is double sealed.

But the blue around the first seal shows that ink is getting through the first seal

Alright. Thank you for the help. I'll probably get round to that at another time.

• 3 months later...

Thing is, I can't seem to get the actual piston inside the barrel out of the pen, which is why I cannot even follow the stepsa on Goulet's video.

EDIT: I've managed to get the piston out now, but the method Goulet is showing doesn't seem to work for me. It's not progressing to the extra step like how he is doing it.

Could you let me know how you managed to get the piston out of the barrel? I seem to have gotten my piston stuck in the barrel and don't want to make things worse by forcing it out. Thanks for your help.

Edit: Somehow, I managed to get the piston out. Pulling didn't work, but somehow twisting the collar repeatedly managed to work. I wish I could explain it to those in the future that might run into the problem, but I'm not exactly sure how I managed to do it.

Edited by welcmhm