The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nakaya Desk Pen

nakaya

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kunju123

kunju123

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2015 - 14:08

Nakaya Deskpen (Basic black urushi)

This is the basic black urushi edition of the Nakaya Deskpen.  I actually prefer this to the more popular Aka Temenuri red I used to have on the Piccolo Cigar.  It is currently the cheapest Nakaya finish/ fountain pen combination you can buy.  I’m not sure why this is as the Nakaya Desk Pen is an extremely substantial fountain pen and very well balanced…much more so than the tiny Piccolo.

This is a clipless fountain pen.  I do not believe clips look right on Nakayas, except for the Neo- Standard or the Naka- Ai.

Nib:

This was the first Nakaya I bought and would highly recommend it.  It is very well- balanced and the cheaper base price means I was able to get 2 modifications- a medium oblique cursive italic (from a soft-medium nib), plus added flex.  This is an excellent customisation giving a lot of flex and a vintage feel.  It really brings out the best in shading inks- like this Ama- Iro pictured below. 

I also believe it improves my handwriting no end.

*All of these photos were shot with the excellent Sony RX100iii

dsc00307.jpg?w=736&h=491Soft- Medium nib ground to a Medium Oblique with added flex…shading!dsc00312.jpg?w=736&h=491Unlike most other premium fountain pens in this price bracket, it uses a cartridge converter. It somehow doesn’t detract from the quality of the pen.dsc00311.jpg?w=736&h=491Shiny black urushi finish; shiny but not cheap!dsc00315.jpg?w=736&h=491

I ordered this Nakaya leather pen case directly from Nakaya in Japan. Super fast shipping and great customer service

Overall, a great purchase!

Edited by mk2579, 05 October 2015 - 14:12.

Sponsored Content

#2 thiago

thiago

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2015 - 14:50

Hmmm... I really need one Nakaya. Thanks for review..

#3 Dhruv_Sood

Dhruv_Sood

Gimme Inks

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 14:59

Thanks for the review. I should have bought this instead of a piccolo long.
Can you update the post with another picture of the capped pen?

#4 kunju123

kunju123

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2015 - 16:01

Thanks for the review. I should have bought this instead of a piccolo long.
Can you update the post with another picture of the capped pen?

Here you go!

This was the only pic I could find- but it gives a good size comparison with 17mm Portable and Decapod Twist.

dsc00479.jpg

#5 kunju123

kunju123

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2015 - 16:06

Hmmm... I really need one Nakaya. Thanks for review..

Thats what I thought when I bought this and now I have 4!

#6 Dhruv_Sood

Dhruv_Sood

Gimme Inks

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:50

Here you go!

This was the only pic I could find- but it gives a good size comparison with 17mm Portable and Decapod Twist.

dsc00479.jpg

Thank you. :)

#7 thiago

thiago

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2015 - 21:38

Thats what I thought when I bought this and now I have 4!

:lticaptd:

Indeed, it is the path  :D

#8 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:59

Thanks for the review, and particularly the comparison picture which is most informative. Your handwriting looks wonderful with this nib!

Given that this is a desk pen, do you feel the urge to buy a stand with the "trumpet" to keep it in on your writing space?

Also nice gridded notepad - what do you use?

#9 kunju123

kunju123

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:01

Thanks for the review, and particularly the comparison picture which is most informative. Your handwriting looks wonderful with this nib!

Given that this is a desk pen, do you feel the urge to buy a stand with the "trumpet" to keep it in on your writing space?

Also nice gridded notepad - what do you use?

I write on a tiny wooden Muji desk which is already crammed full of notebooks and inks...so I'm afraid I do not for-see a desk stand making an appearance any time soon.  

I just keep the Deskpen in a drawer in its Komono.  It used to be in my leather Nakaya case, but now my Danitrio Sho-Genkai goes in there (perfect fit).

I always stock up on Rhodia Reverse pad- it has a nice big square area to write, is spiral bound so lays flat, and you can keep swivelling it around as you write so you don't smear ink everywhere.  I also like writing and doodling across squares, for some reason.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nakaya

Sponsored Content

|