Danitrio Sho-Genkai Review

mk2579

Thanks for the review with nice pics. I have some Nakaya and some Danitrio. Don't think one is better than the other. Different yes, but quality in this rare air becomes quite subjective. I think Nakaya urushi finish is more perfect and the basic lines of the pen bodies crisper. Danitrio, however, has a different philosophy. They seem to embrace "imperfection" and let their craftsmen have a lot of freedom. At the very highest levels of finish it seems that Danitrio is superior. Their maki-e artwork is truly spectacular and has to be seen in person to be believed. Their large size pen bodies give the artist a relatively massive canvas to work with. Next purchase for me is a ishme finish nakaya, which one I've yet to decide.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mk2579

• Namo

• Doug C

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Your answer makes me think again about Danitrio. I have 2 Nakayas, a Naka-ai with M nib and a Portablec with SF. I enjoy writing with them and consider them as a step before i get a fully customize pen from either Hakase or Manu Propria. I know they are more expensive than a basic Danitrio, but the pen is truly made for me, right?.

But after your review and answer, i might think Danitrio could be another step before the fully customized. It has a touch of western and the ED with controlling valve is quite interesting. Of course, spending more than $1000 for a pen is a hard decision, but it worths to be considered.

Thank you.

Wow Manu Propria and Hakase are WELL out of my price range :yikes: - great looking pens though.

I would definitely go with a Danitrio then, and the Sho-Genkai is a great model- not too big, but substantially bigger than Nakaya. They also come in a range of different finishes If I remember correctly from nibs.com. The Sho-hakkaku is another nice one...I'm currently trying not to buy it!

Thanks for the review with nice pics. I have some Nakaya and some Danitrio. Don't think one is better than the other. Different yes, but quality in this rare air becomes quite subjective. I think Nakaya urushi finish is more perfect and the basic lines of the pen bodies crisper. Danitrio, however, has a different philosophy. They seem to embrace "imperfection" and let their craftsmen have a lot of freedom. At the very highest levels of finish it seems that Danitrio is superior. Their maki-e artwork is truly spectacular and has to be seen in person to be believed. Their large size pen bodies give the artist a relatively massive canvas to work with. Next purchase for me is a ishme finish nakaya, which one I've yet to decide.

Yes I definitely agree with your analysis of Nakaya vs Danitrio; Nakaya more classic, correct, and timeless (to me!), and Danitrio more modern and fun. Who can say what is best.

I too have spent time in the past browsing Danitrio's maki-e pens and they are quite stunning (and VERY correct)...unfortunately, well out of my price range. I also love their 21t Gold nib with the Sumo wrestler on it!

Re: Nakaya, I saw just yesterday a very nice spring green Ishme in the pre-owned section of nibs.com...

They are Bock. Only the 24K nib for the Yokozuna pen is made in JP.

Isn't that the one with the Sumo wrestler on it? I wish ALL Danitrio pens had a sumo wrestler on them- or at least the big ones like Genkai and Junnikaku.

I have 3 Nakayas, and 6 Dani's including the Fellowship pen. I have a slight preference for the DT's and I attribute some of this to the fact that I am not crazy about Platinum nibs. Beautiful pens.

Thanks. For some reason I don't like Platinum but do like Nakaya. I bought a Platinum music nib years ago and ended up sending it back because of the nib. But all bar one (firm fine- very nice, wet writer) of my Nakaya's have been customised by nibs.com, so maybe thats why the nibs seem good to me.

Thanks for this--I am really enjoying your various Nakaya and Danitrio photos--in fact I spent an hour--thanks to your gorgeous review--looking at Danitrio pens!

One question about the weight of the Sho-Genkai: you mention that the Nakaya Piccolo is tiny. But I have one and find it a really great size. Do you think the Sho Genkai would be too heavy for someone who finds the piccolo comfortable?

I've heard that Danitrios are light--but the meaurements page at nibs.com gives the weight of the Sho Genkai as 33 grams.

Thanks for the luscious photos!

Your welcome and thank you for reading!

I find the Sony RX100iii and bright sunlight is a great combination for shooting pens. And Urushi pens always look best photographed outside and amongst nature.

Re: Nakaya vs. Danitrio, if you find the Piccolo a comfortable size, the Sho-Genkai might be a bit big, but it is quite well balanced. I know everyone does seem to say how light the pen is...but then they might just have massive hands!

I really like the design and styling of the sho-genkai, its ED and shut-off valve, the Maki-ie signature thrown in for no extra cost, so I wouldn't want to discourage you from buying this pen.

The Sho-hakkaku is another good choice (I'm currently considering it), a smaller size and comes in some nice urushi finishes- I particularly like the Ki-dame and Midori...whatever you end up buying, would love to see some pics when you get it! :)

Thank you for the review. It's a very beautiful pen. I have looked through the Danitrio page on nibs.com many times but the size and shapes of Danitros always get me. I really want to try one in person.

They are big! I got a Danitrio Flat-top Mikado like a month ago. I knew it would be be big, but I was really taken aback. I believe the Sho-Genkai and Mikado are roughly the same size. The weight is manageable though - 30 grams or so when uncapped, I think. If you like thick grip sections, you should be fine. I think the cartridge-converter models are more in line with regular-size pens, though still on the large size.

Great review, kunju123! Really lovely pictures. I almost got a Sho-Genkai but I wanted a blue, green or red Roiro-Migaki finish. At the time I ordered my Mikado, nibs.com said Danitrio only had the Sho-Genkai in stock in solid black and red tamenuri, for the basic finishes. I think a Sho-Genkai will be my next Danitrio.