Danitrio Sho-Genkai Review

mk2579

Danitrio Sho-Genkai

Here is my Danitrio Sho Genkai in the Tame- nuri finish.

I managed to get a good price on the Sho-Genkai after purchasing the cheaper Hakkaku model, in Kuro- keshi (matte black) finish, from a US distributer. The Sho-Genkai is the “smaller” version of the big Genkai. Similarly there is a Sho-Hakkaku, which is a smaller version of the big Hakkaku I bought…although this is still nothing in comparison to the size of a Genkai!

My original intension was actually to buy the Sho-Hakkaku or short octagon as it is commonly referred, in the Ki-dame (yellow) finish. With a crispy stub nib.

I already have four Nakaya’s; the Deskpen, 17mm portable, Piccolo and Deccapod Twist, but the flat- top style of the Danitrio’s always appealed. Of course thay are twice the price of standard- model Nakaya’s.

dsc00588.jpg?w=736

My Sho-Genkai has a firm Fine nib, but it actually writes like a slightly springy Western medium. The Danitrio nibs are made by Bock in Germany, which may explain the “fatness” of the Fine. Contrast this to Nakaya, who’s Fine nib’s are very fine indeed.

I managed to snag two of the last remaining Ao- Tamenuri Nakaya’s in the 17mm Portable Cigar with a soft-fine nib with added flex, and a Deccapod Twist with a firm Fine nib. I actually prefer the firm Fine nib as its very wet and smooth with a touch of feedback. Perfect for journalling in my Hobonichi Techo’s Planner

I actually find the Fine nib of the Danitrio too broad to use for journalling. The section is also much wider than I’m used to, but the pen still manages to stay light due to its ebonite material. Also important to note is the pen uses an eye- dropper filling system, and has a shut-off valve to control ink- flow. A great idea, but takes some getting used to.

img_0036.jpg?w=736

Here is the Sho-Genkai with my leather Nakaya pouch. It happens to be an exact fit for it. I used to keep my Nakaya Desk pen in there but it was always rattling around (due to its tapered end and slimmer profile). I do not believe Danitrio make dedicated leather pouches for their pens, but given their quirky shapes and sizes, they probably should.

dsc00587.jpg?w=736

People used to Nakaya pens may expect Danitrio to be similar in terms of nibs and style. However, I find Danitrio to be quite different- far more western. The Tame- nuri finish isn’t quite as slick as Nakaya’s either. Also, Nakaya nibs are typically Asian, on the finer side and with a nice amount of feedback. These German bock nibs remind me more of Pelikan- and this pen did feel similar to the Fine-nibbed Pelikan M1000 I used to have.

dsc00601.jpg?w=736

However, overall I am pleased with this Danitrio purchase and glad I finally got a Genkai, even if it is the smaller one. Unfortuntely, I am now already circling in on my next pen…the long awaited Sho-Hakkaku in Ki-dame finish!

Edited by mk2579

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mk2579

• Namo

• hari317

• Azura

Top Posters In This Topic

A really beautiful aka-tamenuri fp. I have a Danitrio Genkai and it's equally beautiful. Nice pics.

Thank you :)

Great review! Do you think that Danitrio it's worth the extra bucks, compared to Nakaya?

Thanks for reading!

The price difference is what had been deterring me from Danitrio in the past. If you already have a few Nakaya's then I think it's worth getting at least one Danitrio, just to see the difference.

But if you don't yet have a Nakaya OR Danitrio, I would definitely recommend Nakaya first. I bought the Desk pen in the basic black Urushi model, which is the cheapest urushi Nakaya set- up you can get. That then frees up some funds to get a customisation- or even 2 customisations as I did- a medium oblique cursive italic ground from a SM, with added flex. It has a lot of flex and an almost vintage feel. Also, the Nakaya nibs are very Japanese, whereas the Danitrio nibs are very Western- German, in fact.

Danitrio pens are MUCH bigger, so thats something to consider if you have smaller hands.

Also, if you are willing to go without customisation you can get good deals on Danitrio if you ask at Chatterleys Luxuries.

So in conclusion (apologies for rambling reply), is Danitrio worth the extra bucks? For me, no if you don't yet have a Nakaya, and yes if you already have a few Nakaya's and want something different.

Your photography is amazing!!!

Would you mind showing us more...(:

Thank you!

Those were actually my best shots...I always think Urushi pens photograph best outside and amongst nature. I think indoor shots always make the pens look too dark- maybe the high shine of the Urushi.

A bright sunny day also helps!

I found a couple more similar shots...

Nib shot: Nakaya and Danitrio

http://s8.postimg.org/96j5kr0ut/Nib_shots_Nakaya_and_Danitrio.jpg

Close-up of Danitrio Urushi finish...

http://s14.postimg.org/54t0m8q6p/DSC00590.jpg

...and lastly a boring indoor shot

http://s7.postimg.org/xexxfcgq3/DSC00580.jpg

All of these pictures were taken with the Sony RX100, and I still haven't figured out how to get everything in focus, the bokeh means the nibs always come out blurry- will have to find the manual...and then read it!

A really beautiful aka-tamenuri fp. I have a Danitrio Genkai and it's equally beautiful. Nice pics.

Would love to see a picture of your Genkai, if you have it.

Your photography is amazing!!!

Would you mind showing us more...(:

Last ones- stuck an apple filter on there...

http://s24.postimg.org/7h3zvwaxh/DSC00596.jpg

http://s4.postimg.org/69t7eps4d/IMG_0025.jpg

Nice review and an awesome pen. Danitrio is simply a different beast from Nakaya. I am not 100% sure, but I think the bigger nibs (n°8?) of the Genkai and Mikado are not made by Bock, but made in Japan. If anyone could confirm?

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Thanks for reading!

The price difference is what had been deterring me from Danitrio in the past. If you already have a few Nakaya's then I think it's worth getting at least one Danitrio, just to see the difference.

But if you don't yet have a Nakaya OR Danitrio, I would definitely recommend Nakaya first. I bought the Desk pen in the basic black Urushi model, which is the cheapest urushi Nakaya set- up you can get. That then frees up some funds to get a customisation- or even 2 customisations as I did- a medium oblique cursive italic ground from a SM, with added flex. It has a lot of flex and an almost vintage feel. Also, the Nakaya nibs are very Japanese, whereas the Danitrio nibs are very Western- German, in fact.

Danitrio pens are MUCH bigger, so thats something to consider if you have smaller hands.

Also, if you are willing to go without customisation you can get good deals on Danitrio if you ask at Chatterleys Luxuries.

So in conclusion (apologies for rambling reply), is Danitrio worth the extra bucks? For me, no if you don't yet have a Nakaya, and yes if you already have a few Nakaya's and want something different.

Your answer makes me think again about Danitrio. I have 2 Nakayas, a Naka-ai with M nib and a Portablec with SF. I enjoy writing with them and consider them as a step before i get a fully customize pen from either Hakase or Manu Propria. I know they are more expensive than a basic Danitrio, but the pen is truly made for me, right?.

But after your review and answer, i might think Danitrio could be another step before the fully customized. It has a touch of western and the ED with controlling valve is quite interesting. Of course, spending more than $1000 for a pen is a hard decision, but it worths to be considered.

Thank you.

I have 3 Nakayas, and 6 Dani's including the Fellowship pen. I have a slight preference for the DT's and I attribute some of this to the fact that I am not crazy about Platinum nibs. Beautiful pens.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

Nice review and an awesome pen. Danitrio is simply a different beast from Nakaya. I am not 100% sure, but I think the bigger nibs (n°8?) of the Genkai and Mikado are not made by Bock, but made in Japan. If anyone could confirm?

They are Bock. Only the 24K nib for the Yokozuna pen is made in JP.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks for this--I am really enjoying your various Nakaya and Danitrio photos--in fact I spent an hour--thanks to your gorgeous review--looking at Danitrio pens!

One question about the weight of the Sho-Genkai: you mention that the Nakaya Piccolo is tiny. But I have one and find it a really great size. Do you think the Sho Genkai would be too heavy for someone who finds the piccolo comfortable?

I've heard that Danitrios are light--but the meaurements page at nibs.com gives the weight of the Sho Genkai as 33 grams.

Thanks for the luscious photos!