I recently fixed a crack in the cap of a Parker Big Red, but the repair work has left a rather unsightly blemish on it.
I've been an admirer of Japanese lacquer work and am thinking of using that pen to do a DIY faux Urushi pen similar to the methods used here with Edison's project:
In no way do I want to use actual Urushi, owing to its toxicity and price.
1) What kind of lacquer should I use? Or would it be easier to use enamel paint, like the ones by Testor's?
2) If I use lacquer, what's an inexpensive way to color it? Would using wood stains work?
3) How much time to let each layer cure?
4) What's a good hardener or thickener to create the random-seeming patterns like in the Edison project? Or should I just let the lacquer thicken over time?
5) What grades of grit are best to get for this?
Thanks in advance for your guidance.
Edited by spaceink, 05 October 2015 - 05:31.