None Of The Starter Pens Cut It

J85909266

The Pilot Metropolitan has a step down to the section. Now, step downs are common and are often fine. That said, the step down on the Metropolitan is highlighted by a nearly razor sharp metal ring. I've been an advocate for this pen in the past. It performs well and is very sturdy. That said, the sharp step hurts when I write, and I no longer use this pen. Also, proprietary carts. No thanks.

12115767_1195649730452232_17024394999540

The Lamy Safari is not very pleasant either. The section does not suit me. The cap seal is friction fit and wore out very quickly in my pen. It doesn't come with a converter, and it is ugly.

The Pilot 78G is made of awful plastic and the section is #2 pencil thin.

The Jinhao X750 I has had a ton of issues.

The Faber Castell Loom is slippery and has an obnoxious cap.

Why is there not a standard, entry-level pen that costs less than $30 USD and is universally usable?

I have not tried the TWSBI ECO.

Edited by J85909266

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J85909266

• sirach

• Sailor Kenshin

• dogpoet

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is there not a standard, entry-level pen that costs less than $30 USD and is universally usable?

I don't think there's a pen at any price point that is universally usable.

FWIW, I own and use nearly every pen you mention and they work fine for me.

Edited by Danny Kaffee

I don't think there's any item on earth that's "universally usable." Add in something as obviously idiosyncratic as a fountain pen and that's even more so the case.

Saying that the Metropolitan has a "razor sharp" drop is a case in point. Objectively, I doubt it's razor sharp - I've never heard of anyone actually being cut on it - but if your point is that it's problematic for you, there's naught anyone can do about it. Section drops have rarely bothered me (TWSBI Vac700 as the only exception), but they're clearly a big deal to you, so if you choose to continue your interest in fountain pens, you'll just have to adjust your buying habits accordingly.

Here's hoping you find what you're looking for :)

I think there should be a sturdy, thick, round starter pen that takes standard international cartridges/converters and has decent build quality with no design hiccups.

Am I truly alone, here?

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I don't think there's any item on earth that's "universally usable." Add in something as obviously idiosyncratic as a fountain pen and that's even more so the case.

Saying that the Metropolitan has a "razor sharp" drop is a case in point. Objectively, I doubt it's razor sharp - I've never heard of anyone actually being cut on it - but if your point is that it's problematic for you, there's naught anyone can do about it. Section drops have rarely bothered me (TWSBI Vac700 as the only exception), but they're clearly a big deal to you, so if you choose to continue your interest in fountain pens, you'll just have to adjust your buying habits accordingly.

Here's hoping you find what you're looking for :)

I have found many pens that suit me. This thread is about the lack of an entry level pen that is more ambiguous.

Edited by J85909266

- Joe

I'd suggest you watch for an Esterbrook J. Vintage pens, if they have been refurbished are great as users and also often very attractive. You can pick up an Esterbrook for from $35-$55.00. Usually the price difference is because of the nib. I have four of them and if anything goes wrong it is among the easiest pens to repair and the nib units are interchangeable, so if you don't like one nib look for one you like better and just screw out the old one and in with the new. You will often see them in the classifieds here on FPN, such as this one; https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/33731-reduced-again-flexible-vintage-pens-inkvue-pencil/#overview.

Good luck

Edited by linearM

You could try the Sheaffer VFM. It's formed brass like the Metropolitan but it has a less extreme section step. The only downside these pens are they are cartridge only (they take standard international cartridges though) because they function like Skripsert pens of old, where you insert the cartridge into the barrel then screw on the section. But my VFM was my trusty sidearm before I got my Platinum 3776

Also like others have said a "universally useable" pen doesn't really exist.

Edited by Kiaxa

Don't mind me, I like to ramble... A LOT

The Pelikan school pens? A Twist, maybe? Or a Style? The Happy Pen?

I think the Happy Pen looks pretty okay: http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US_INTL.Store.displayStore.204511./happy-pen-fountain-pen

I have an Al-Star and while I dislike the triangular grip, I can live and work with it.

My Eco is a sturdy and reliable workhorse.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Seems to me there are lots of good choices for $30 or less, both currently made, and models no longer made but still widely available (Sheaffer School Pens can be a real bargain). Raise the ceiling to $50 and you can add quite a few more. I'd mention the Sheaffer 100, although that doesn't seem like a common recommendation for beginners around here.

I don't much care for the Metro myself, and like the Safari only a little better. On the other hand, I do like the slim, light, FP78G. Not sure what's "awful" about the plastic, although you can tell it's a cheap pen. I've moved on to more upscale models, admittedly, but then, we're talking about "starter" pens.

I think that's an indication of the problem, though. What's comfortable in my hand may not be comfortable in yours. Some people care more about appearance than others. I don't care if a pen takes "standard" cartridges or not, but would prefer that there be an available converter, or a built in filling system.

Maybe the frustration comes from buying five or six "starter" pens, not finding one that's quite right for you, and then realizing that you've already spent enough to have gotten something a bit more upscale, a Pelikan M200, say, or one of those deals on Pilot or Platinum pens that you find from Japanese eBay dealers. But then, no one model of those more expensive pens is going to suit everyone any more than the cheapies do.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Agree about the Prera. Great pens. Highly recommended.

Alternatively, if you don't mind a demonstrator, go for a Platinum Cool. Simple modern design, light but balanced, well made, no steps, shaped sections or other quirks. I have 2, a fine and a medium, and both have perfect (for me) ink flow, as I like wetter writers. The steel nibs are very decent indeed for the price; both have a soft springiness that's very pleasant to use. The fine needed a tiny amount of smoothing that took all of 1 minute. I've been using mine for 3 years without any problems.

I use an adapter in mine so I can use international cartridges. It cost $2.

I've just ordered another Cool for $19 from Japan.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I think there should be a sturdy, thick, round starter pen that takes standard international cartridges/converters and has decent build quality with no design hiccups.

Am I truly alone, here?

You are truly alone when it comes to your individual preferences. For example, I complely disagree about the Lamy entry level pens. I think they look unique and nice, not ugly at all. And I love the feel. The Lamy Safari, Al-Star, and Vista feel better to me than my most expensive pens - $200.00 level.. Funny - my wife was saying the same thing last night about Lamys, and we weren't even talking about this post. Preference is an individual thing.

I'm plenty satisfied with the Prera but I'm not sure about you. kakuno maybe? if it ever one day fancies your style

I concur. You might want to try the Pilot Kakuno.

Edited by Blue_Moon

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I've had good luck with Jinhao's, but they are heavy and sometimes have very odd balance. The TWSBI Eco is a great pen, but the grip narrows considerably down to the nib which may be an irritation to some.Completely agree with you about the Pilot Metro, but curiously I have tried a friends whose step is not nearly as sharp as mine. It would still be a bit of an irritant though. If you can get one at the right price, Esterbrook's are great little pens.

I have used all of the pens mention by the OP with the exception of the Loom. No complaints with any of them. They are what they are...cheap pens. I am not expecting them to behave like any of my "pricier" pens but anything is better than writing with a ballpoint!

Also, 500+ posts and you are looking for a starter pen?? Haven't bought a "starter" pen ( for myself) well, basically since I started using FP's again. I have bought several pens in the price range you mention but I would not consider them "starter" pens.

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the

domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which

no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

Am I truly alone, here?

It does seem strange that every starter pen seems to have some unique characteristic that causes problems for some users. I'd have thought a starter pen that just does everything the standard way with standard design shapes would clean up. But who knows, maybe it takes "quirky" to get noticed these days?

Alan

Please define 'standard design shapes' and 'does everything the standard way'. What do these things mean? Do they even have any meaning?

What the OP is asking for does not exist.

Am I truly alone, here?

Looks like you'd be happier if you'd started this hobby when you were younger:

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/kyotobunguya/cabinet/lamy/lamy-abcfp1.jpg?_ex=60x60

Could the Parker 51 be considered an entry level pen, given something as pricey as the TWSBI Eco has been mentioned? That's fairly idiot proof.

There is a reason starter pens are in the starter pen price. If they had more appeal or if more money was spent on design or build... they would be more expensive and they wouldn't be starter pens....

I feel I'm being misunderstood. I don't need a starter pen. I just think it's odd that all of the best starter pens are either made for children or have very specific design quirks like the sharp step on the MR or the triangular grip.

It has nothing to do with making them more expensive.

I'm inspired by the gentleman that modified a FC Loom and put a Vista cap on it. He took two starter pens and combined them to get one without design elements that are so divisive.

- Joe