Why Does Diamine Registrar's Carry Such A High Premium For Cost?

Flaxmoore

If anyone's been following my saga over the last year, you'd know how happy I am to have had an interview working as a doc up in Metro Detroit last Friday. I'm waiting for contract details. :cloud9:

I was going to celebrate with an ink I was meaning to try- Diamine Registrar's. Problem is, it's really expensive by the ml. A 30ml for $17? That's 56 cents a milliliter, up in Iroshizuku territory. Why does such a humble ink carry such a premium? :huh:

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flaxmoore

• lapis

• amarjit

• katerchen

Top Posters In This Topic

because it is a iron gall ink which can last for decades on paper. no worry of writing getting disappeared.

because it is a iron gall ink which can last for decades on paper. no worry of writing getting disappeared.

True, but Salix is as well and is nowhere near as costly. Archival-class Noodler's and Aurora are in the same boat.

True, but Salix is as well and is nowhere near as costly. Archival-class Noodler's and Aurora are in the same boat.

yeah, true but each co. decide their product rate and since this is a permanent ink hence priced higher by diamine.

I'll have to look into it when I have a few dollars under my belt.

Not quite the prices you mention here. Diamine inks being imported from the UK are more expensive in the USA than in UK and EU.

Ordering straight from Diamine you can get:

30ml glass bottle for £7.31 or about 11$

100ml plastic bottle for £13.04 or about 20$

Of course the glass bottle is more expensive as the plastic bottle is meant for refilling it.

Now getting the $/ml, we have:

0.37 $/ml for the 30ml bottle

0.2 $/ml for the 100ml bottle

Not that terrible considering you are buying a full strength IG ink formulated for use with fountain pens (the other one I am aware of is ESSRI).

Salix isn't in the same category as it is a much lighter IG ink.

Maybe I'll put one of my 1670s for trade. Not like I'm using the Stormy Grey or gold-less Bleu Ocean.

Just get the Chesterfield version, which is the exact same thing repackaged. It's called Archival Vault.

http://www.xfountainpens.com/collections/ink-bottles/products/chesterfield-archival-vault-permanent-black-ink

-k

+1

Great stuff! Well worth seeking out given its pedigree.

Edited by Biber

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Archive ink is a "niche product for a niche market". Usually that's enough justification for companies to command a premium on a product.

Don't mind me, I like to ramble... A LOT

Not quite the prices you mention here. Diamine inks being imported from the UK are more expensive in the USA than in UK and EU.

Ordering straight from Diamine you can get:

30ml glass bottle for £7.31 or about 11$

100ml plastic bottle for £13.04 or about 20$

Of course the glass bottle is more expensive as the plastic bottle is meant for refilling it.

Now getting the $/ml, we have:

0.37 $/ml for the 30ml bottle

0.2 $/ml for the 100ml bottle

Not that terrible considering you are buying a full strength IG ink formulated for use with fountain pens (the other one I am aware of is ESSRI).

Salix isn't in the same category as it is a much lighter IG ink.

ESSRI is similar to Diamine (I'm tempted to say identical) and cheaper.

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

ESSRI is similar to Diamine (I'm tempted to say identical) and cheaper.

I would have to say that ESSRI is not that similar to Diamine but is better. Diamine to me, is the driest writing fluid I have on hand and I have quite a number of iron gall inks on hand.

Plus the magic act that happens when one uses ESSRI is far more eventful and enjoyable than writing with Diamines Registrar's ink. What is similar is that these two inks are bar brawling, fist busting, full strength iron gall inks and take no lip from water.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

I would have to say that ESSRI is not that similar to Diamine but is better. Diamine to me, is the driest writing fluid I have on hand and I have quite a number of iron gall inks on Hand.

Yes, I have to agree. I've said that myself quite often. At least that it (Diamine's IG) is the driest of all of my dozen or so IGs. Likely the reason why I never use it anymore. As to any dye-like similarities (or not) between ESS's and D's RI, we'll soon see what my paper chromatography strips have to say (as soon as they are finished running)....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Paper chromatographically seen, the two are apparently very similar (maybe even "practically" identical) but only as regards the constitution of dye materials. But -- as is often the case here -- there may still be a big enough difference between the two, substantiating the finding that e.g. ESSRI is much less dry than Diamine's RI is, due to the fact that the ESSRI variant has a good deal of surfactant (tenside, non-ionic detergent) added which was "missing" or at least present at an insufficient concentration. These compounds are unfortunately not observable in this type of chromatography.

To the left: ESS 01440 703303 Registrars Ink; to the right; Diamine Registrar's Ink.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/ESSRI_DRI.jpg

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Paper chromatographically seen, the two are apparently very similar (maybe even "practically" identical) but only as regards the constitution of dye materials. But -- as is often the case here -- there may still be a big enough difference between the two, substantiating the finding that e.g. ESSRI is much less dry than Diamine's RI is, due to the fact that the ESSRI variant has a good deal of surfactant (tenside, non-ionic detergent) added which was "missing" or at least present at an insufficient concentration. These compounds are unfortunately not observable in this type of chromatography.

To the left: ESS 01440 703303 Registrars Ink; to the right; Diamine Registrar's Ink.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/ESSRI_DRI.jpg

Mike

Neat! The Bio major, near-minor in Chemistry in me likes to see this sort of thing.

I just put my Stormy Grey up for trade.

Agree on the Chesterfield. Much cheaper than Diamine, great service from Xfountainpens, available in 30ml nalgene bottles that are cute, free shipping for orders over $25 I think. Yes ESSRI (not to be confused with SSRI anti-depressants, but hey I like I.G. inks) is better, but I rate it as 3rd on my I.G. List behind KWZI and the discontinued MB midnight blue. I haven't tried R&G yet. Best of luck.