My Favourite Sheaffer Id Please

brendonsie

Hi Guys

Below are a couple of my favourite Sheaffers. However i have never found out what they are / lost any info i had. After a quick google search i believe the black pen to be a 30's-40's Balance, I'm assuming by its shape the grey striped pen is a newer balance? One other question with the grey pen I'm not sure if the lever is working properly, the pen fills fine and has a new sac, however when i lift the lever instead of stoping upright at a 90 degree angle like my other black pen the lever bends completely backwards until its resting on the pen barrel at an almost 180 degree angle is this normal?

post-117240-0-82331200-1443996181_thumb.jpg

post-117240-0-50181100-1443996193_thumb.jpg

I really like the black pens nib i have not found another pen vintage or new that writes as smoothly for me as this one. So far i have never come across a two tone Sheaffer nib that i did not like. However i only have 2 two tone lifetime nibs the pen above and a Statesman with the cone shaped nib. The grey pen i just really like the colour, the nib is perfectly good just nothing extra special.

Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• Lazard 20

• brendonsie

• TimCasey13

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The gray pen is a Craftsman. You can find more info on it by searching "sheaffer craftsman" on Richard Binder's website.

Ernst Bitterman has a rather useful page showing the family of Sheaffer pens. Kirchheimer may be able to keep all of the models straight, but I can't. I can fix them very well thank you, but I still refer to Fred Plewa's Pen Clips in the old issues of Pen World* to identify what model Snorkel I have in front of me.

*Memebers of the Pen Collectors of America can view many of the old issues of Pen World in the PCA library.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

The first pen is probably a 1946 Cadet II, model 23W, as it appears to have a plain 14 karat gold nib. If the nib is stamped 23, then it is a Cadet. The 1946 Admiral has a Triumph nib. The 1947 Admiral has an open two-tone Feather Touch nib. If the pen has a plain 14 karat 33 nib, then it is a 1947 Craftsman, model 33T.

How long is the second pen? It looks like a c1938 Lady Sheaffer, considering the positioning of the White Dot and clip top and the proportion of the clip to cap.

Ernst Bitterman has a rather useful page showing the family of Sheaffer pens. Kirchheimer may be able to keep all of the models straight, but I can't. I can fix them very well thank you, but I still refer to Fred Plewa's Pen Clips in the old issues of Pen World* to identify what model Snorkel I have in front of me.

*Memebers of the Pen Collectors of America can view many of the old issues of Pen World in the PCA library.

Thanks for the links Ernst's site is one of the best ive seen for Sheaffers. I can't tell them apart either about the best i can do is say that pens a flat top or that pens a snorkel. And know to avoid those lever snorkels on eBay LOL

The first pen is probably a 1946 Cadet II, model 23W, as it appears to have a plain 14 karat gold nib. If the nib is stamped 23, then it is a Cadet. The 1946 Admiral has a Triumph nib. The 1947 Admiral has an open two-tone Feather Touch nib. If the pen has a plain 14 karat 33 nib, then it is a 1947 Craftsman, model 33T.

How long is the second pen? It looks like a c1938 Lady Sheaffer, considering the positioning of the White Dot and clip top and the proportion of the clip to cap.

The Grey Pen has the 14k 33 Nib so will be the 47 Craftsman 33T.

The black pen is 5 inchs capped, 6.2 Inches posted. and has an 875 price code.

i tried having a look at Ernst's Site i agree it could easily be a Lady Sheaffer, I feel i need to go by more pens so i can see the smaller differences ...... next week a new thread appears with Sheaffer pens matched to the wrong models LOL.

Thanks

Thanks for the links Ernst's site is one of the best ive seen for Sheaffers. I can't tell them apart either about the best i can do is say that pens a flat top or that pens a snorkel. And know to avoid those lever snorkels on eBay LOL

The Grey Pen has the 14k 33 Nib so will be the 47 Craftsman 33T.

The black pen is 5 inchs capped, 6.2 Inches posted. and has an 875 price code.

i tried having a look at Ernst's Site i agree it could easily be a Lady Sheaffer, I feel i need to go by more pens so i can see the smaller differences ...... next week a new thread appears with Sheaffer pens matched to the wrong models LOL.

Thanks

The Black pen is a Lady Sheaffer with 58/59 mm long cap. (Sovereign of this time, with equal nib and $8.75 too, have a 5/6 mm longer cap)

On the otther hand the Grey -Gray Pearl- pen can not be 33T.

Edited by Lazard 20

The Black pen is a Lady Sheaffer with 58/59 mm long cap. (Sovereign of this time, with equal nib and $8.75 too, have a 5/6 mm longer cap)

Thanks for your reply. Can you please explain why The Grey Pearl can not be a 33T as others have suggested?

33 = the nib number

T = Lever Fill

The model number is 33T

post-225-0-55485800-1444127997_thumb.jpg

Sheaffer began the use of injection molded plastics in 1948.

That combination on a thin cap band grey stripe lever fill non-White Dot small Sheaffer pen with a Sheaffer's stamped clip narrows it down to 1947 Craftsman.

A length of 5" capped is in between Lady and Sovereign, so are you saying this is a Lady with a Sovereign cap?

A length of 5" capped is in between Lady and Sovereign, so are you saying this is a Lady with a Sovereign cap?

No Robert, not, I´m saying what I'm saying, namely: The Black pen is a Lady Sheaffer with 58/59 mm long cap (and as additional information I justify why it is a Lady Sheaffer and not a Sovereign; because have a 58/59 mm cap -I can measure proportions in the photo- and not a 65 mm cap)

33 = the nib number

T = Lever Fill

The model number is 33T

http://s24.postimg.org/42qbodryt/Sheaffer_1947_Catalog06.jpg

Sheaffer began the use of injection molded plastics in 1948.

That combination on a thin cap band grey stripe lever fill non-White Dot small Sheaffer pen with a Sheaffer's stamped clip narrows it down to 1947 Craftsman.

No, lamentably our Gray Pearl is not 33T model number.

On the otther hand "T" is not equal a "Lever type" but it, "T" suffix, is equal to "Regular Lever type"... and there are some Sheaffer´S "Irregular Lever type" cases.

Well, it's a unceremonious and informal differences game and we mustn´t take it seriously but precisely your image gives me reason:

Do you not see that model of your image is not the same as the fountain pen topic model? Regardless of color nor whether it was manufactured in Radite "I" or Forticel, there is another subtle difference between your 33T image and our fountain pen.

Addenda: By the way and marginally, our first fountain pen could not be 23W neither as you posted as probably yesterday at 15:59 because fountain pen topic is lever filler and 23W correspond to plunger type filler model.

Edited by Lazard 20

No, lamentably our Gray Pearl is not 33T model number.

On the otther hand "T" is not equal a "Lever type" but it, "T" suffix, is equal to "Regular Lever type"... and there are some Sheaffer´S "Irregular Lever type" cases.

Well, it's a unceremonious and informal differences game and we mustn´t take it seriously but precisely your image gives me reason:

Do you not see that model of your image is not the same as the fountain pen topic model? Regardless of color nor whether it was manufactured in Radite "I" or Forticel, there is another subtle difference between your 33T image and our fountain pen.

Addenda: By the way and marginally, our first fountain pen could not be 23W neither as you posted as probably yesterday at 15:59 because fountain pen topic is lever filler and 23W correspond to plunger type filler model.

First off, you are correct - I should have said 1946 Cadet II, model 23T as the pen with a #23 nib and lever-fill mechanism as a possibility, not knowing the nib type.

I used the 1938, 1940, 1941, 1946 and 1947 Sheaffer catalogs and the 1945, 1951 and 1962 repair manuals and parts lists to help identify the pens.

There are some very minor differences about what "T" means, but they are consistent in meaning a standard lever fill pen. The 1962 Repair Manual identifies T = Lever Fill. The 1945 just says "Lever." The 1951 Repair Manual uses both T = Regular Lever Fill or Long Lever Type Pen, as opposed to V = Short Lever Fill, all on the same page. T = Lever Fill works for me. I am not sure what you mean about irregular type. Perhaps you mean short.

I think what you mean by differences between the 33T image and the pen is the absence of a metal thread ring on the photographed pen. Technically, having a metal section thread makes a Craftsman a model 33T. Other than than that, based on the 1946 and 1947 catalogs and specifically the 1951 repair manual, I don't see how a bullet shaped pen with a #33 nib, Sheaffer stamped clip and 1/32 inch bead-like cap band could be anything other than a Craftsman 33T/33TAA. Do you have another source that would help? I should also have pointed out that the Craftsman is called a Craftsman II in 1946 and in the repair manual, but not in the 1947 catalog. As to specifically when 33T and 33TAA pens were made, beats me.

Based on a Sheaffer letter to dealers accompanying the 1945 parts list, there is a strong indication that the turnover to the more bullet shaped pens from the more pointy Triumph and prior Balance pens happened as of March 1, 1945, thus the designation of the new Triumph, as well as all other models, with a "II" after the model name. I would guess these pens, with striped celluloid, were made from 1945 to 1948, when Sheaffer switched to injection molded plastic.

Edited by PenHero
Corrected the 33T vs 33TAA error in my post.

Let see; Craftsman 33 -as some other Sheaffer'S model- is a "rare code" case because has two versions, namely:

- 33T with threaded ring, and

- 33TAA with threaded celluloid.

That said, our gray pearl pen, with threaded barrel celluloid, is not a 33T but a 33TAA.

http://s24.postimg.org/x6vho9obp/Sheaffer_Craftsman_33_TAA_Lazard.jpg

http://s11.postimg.org/ehwq17iyb/Sheaffer_Craftsman_33_T_vs_33_TAA_Lazard.jpg

Edited by Lazard 20