The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Kakuno Cap Issue

pilot kakuno cap airy cap

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:45

I've just gotten a Pilot Kakuno fountain pen. About the first thing I noticed was that there are three holes in the top of the cap. They're designed to be there. I'm concerned that these will pretty rapidly dry out the ink in the nib and feed, as I've had happen with other pens with airy caps.

Has anyone found a good way to plug up these holes?

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Sponsored Content

#2 shawndp

shawndp

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:33

Maybe try some clear silicon - get enough to plug the holes and then wipe the extra off - shouldn't be too noticeable.

#3 catbert

catbert

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:04

I've just gotten a Pilot Kakuno fountain pen. About the first thing I noticed was that there are three holes in the top of the cap. They're designed to be there. I'm concerned that these will pretty rapidly dry out the ink in the nib and feed, as I've had happen with other pens with airy caps.

Has anyone found a good way to plug up these holes?

Yes, I believe the holes are to do with choking hazard regulations for products that might be swallowed by children. You could try plugging them with soft wax.

My unplugged Kakuno hasn't shown significant drying out. I think the inner cap presses against the end of the section to make it less airy around the nib and feed than those holes might suggest.

#4 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,110 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:49

Yes, I believe the holes are to do with choking hazard regulations for products that might be swallowed by children. You could try plugging them with soft wax.

My unplugged Kakuno hasn't shown significant drying out. I think the inner cap presses against the end of the section to make it less airy around the nib and feed than those holes might suggest.

Agreed. The inner cap is a tight seal. I have not had my Kakuno experience a hard start yet (one month of ownership). I wouldn't fill those holes with anything.

#5 dylim1

dylim1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2015 - 16:01

Agree. The Kakuno seals much better than my Lamy Vista. 

#6 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,354 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:12

Okay, thanks to all for the information. I think that when I get around to using the Kakuno I will give it a chance with the three cap holes unplugged.

Right now the pen is getting cleaned with dish detergent and an ultrasonic cleaner to get the manufacturing oils and debris out of it. It looks like it should be a very good fountain pen :thumbup: .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot kakuno, cap, airy cap

Sponsored Content

|