Lamy Studio A Good Buy?

BrittainPenz

So I am in the market for a new pen. I have been thinking that i might want a Lamy studio, however, I have also been looking at other pens like the

-Parker Urban Premium

-Delta Unica

-Faber Castell Loom

So is the Lamy studio a good deal? Or should i go with one of the other pens? Much Appreciated!

--Caleb

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrittainPenz

• Algester

• kpatters5274

• dasXFnib

I'm sure that other, more experienced voices will chime in, but my two cents.

I can't speak to the Faber Castell or the Delta, as I have no experience with either.

One of the first pens I got was an Urban premium. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but I only used it a few times-- it felt weird in my hand and I had other pens I liked a lot better. I don't post, but the size of the cap would seem to me to make it kind of back heavy if you did. YMMV, of course. It is currently slated to get sold/ PIF'd/ something, because I won't use it again.

I recently got a Studio, and love it. It is the first fountain pen I've yet encountered that lets me write like I feel a FP is supposed to-- the nib is smooth, has good flow, and I can hold the pen comfortably for extended periods without noticing I've resorted to the "ballpoint death grip"/ actually write just using the weight of the pen. Some people have commented that they find the metal section slippery, don't like the fingerprints on it, etc, but those don't bother me. I also like that the nibs are easily swappable. I'm considering getting another one!

I think it will depend on what you mean by "good deal," though. My Urban was cheaper than my Studio and was an OK pen, just IMO nothing spectacular and not for me.

Of three FP's i own......the Lamy Studio was the first -- Imperial Blue with EF nib....

It's filled with Waterman Serenity Blue ink.....and writes like a dream!!!:)

Until the Lamy came along I hadn't had a FP in my hands for nearly 50 YEARS (a long-since-departed Parker 45....:()...

Although it took a bit of getting used to.....the Studio is now in daily service. My 2 Pilots also see considerable use....

IMHO....you won't regret purchasing a Studio....Enjoy!

Always try to get the dibs......on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

I'm sure that other, more experienced voices will chime in, but my two cents.

I can't speak to the Faber Castell or the Delta, as I have no experience with either.

One of the first pens I got was an Urban premium. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but I only used it a few times-- it felt weird in my hand and I had other pens I liked a lot better. I don't post, but the size of the cap would seem to me to make it kind of back heavy if you did. YMMV, of course. It is currently slated to get sold/ PIF'd/ something, because I won't use it again.

I recently got a Studio, and love it. It is the first fountain pen I've yet encountered that lets me write like I feel a FP is supposed to-- the nib is smooth, has good flow, and I can hold the pen comfortably for extended periods without noticing I've resorted to the "ballpoint death grip"/ actually write just using the weight of the pen. Some people have commented that they find the metal section slippery, don't like the fingerprints on it, etc, but those don't bother me. I also like that the nibs are easily swappable. I'm considering getting another one!

I think it will depend on what you mean by "good deal," though. My Urban was cheaper than my Studio and was an OK pen, just IMO nothing spectacular and not for me.

I suppose what i meant by "good deal" was if the pen was a good bang for its buck. Thank you for the input! I believe the imperial blue lamy studio in broad will be my next purchase :D

Faber Castell nibs are the smoothest among all selection on your list. I'm very impressed with their nibs. Write amazing right out of the box. Even the fine nib is smooth and flows well. It's my everyday carry now.

Lamy Studio purchase reinstated me from BP camp to FP camp. I got my first Lamy of my life last year an Imperial Blue Studio. I found the nib extremely smooth but found my hand aching due to the weight. I changed the section from chrome to plastic and it's now my favourite pen. The main advantage is changing nibs. I have EF, F, M, 1.1 and 1.5. I can easily change nibs as I wish and use the pen. Nibs are available loose and cheap. All nibs except EF are smooth in my experience. Look wise it's truly great. Studio comes with converter.

I have two FC Loom too. They are equally heavy as Studio. The nib I have on them are M and B. One had F but switched it with my e-Motion that had a B nib. Nibs are very smooth but noisy when they write. Loom though looks rich (I have Orange and White) but I discovered the caps especially are bit flimsy being made of plastic. The clip looks shiny chrome but is plastic again. Hope it does not break soon. Switching nibs is costly affair as you need another FC Design pen to do it. I couldn't see loose nib units on the net yet. Loom does not come with converter. So you need to buy one. Loom is cheaper - may be 25-30% cost of Studio.

Now I got used to heavier pens so both are comfortable for me. My lean is towards Studio.

Hope this helps.

Edited by subbu68

Regards

Subramoniam

I have the studio and the urban. The biggest difference is that the Studio posts a lot better and is lighter. But the Parker IMHO looks a lot classier.

I think of my FPs as my children.

I have 3 studios inked viz Matt black F, Imperial Blue F, Brushed steel (with stainless steel section in EF) and all write ultra smooth and wet. I have no gripping issue with stainless steel section and write without posting. Studio has perfect weight and balance for tireless writing IMO. So I think Lamy Studio is a good choice

The Lamy is a good choice, as is the Faber Castell, actually. My Studio has a Fine nib and it's very smooth -- Safari-like smooth, which is to be expected since they share the same type of nib. I also have a Faber Castell Basic Anthracite with a Fine nib, which is very similar to the Loom version. The nib is phenomenal but the pen is quite heavy, heavier than the Studio which is not a light pen itself. In long writing sessions the weight of the pen taxes the hand. Between the two I find I use more often the Faber Castell but that's mainly because I have it inked with black ink (Pelikan Edelstein Onyx) which is the most usueful ink colour to me, while the Studio is inked with blue-black (Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite). They are both very good pens, definitely value for money pens, you can't go wrong with either, and yes, I know that doesn't help much in deciding :D .

I haven't used the other two pens but I have some experience with other current Parker models and based on that (nothing wrong with them but nothing to get excited about either) I'd go with either the Lamy or the Faber Castell.

Edited by Grafeus

The Studio is underrated as far as I'm concerned. It has beautiful sleek styling (love the propellor inspired clip) and writes like a dream. I bought the gold nib, and my goodness, it is just buttery smooth.

If you want to upgrade your experience you can easily switch in a Lamy gold nib too. One important point I'd make here however is that the steel Lamy nibs write considerably finer and drier than the gold versions; this is fine if you don't mind a chubby line, but this EF user is having some trouble adjusting to the frankly medium line of her deliciously smooth new gold EF nib.... :S

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze