Advise For My Second Pen

ecologito

After using my first FP regularly at work I have found out that using the pen inverted was the best way to use this pen. As I got used to it I have been realized how little pressure I have to use vs ball point pens.

I really like the way this one os working out and now I am tempted to try another pen... I guess I caught the bug.

I have been looking online at a few reviews and I think I have a short list for my next FP purchase.

• Kaweco AL Sport
  • TWSBI 580
  • Lammy Studio

I have not decided on which one to pick but I am sure I will at one point soon. If any lefty could provide some input on this short list it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Pepe

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ecologito

• RudyR

• ac12

• benbot517

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as left handedness is concerned, they all have suited me fine.

I have a Kaweco Ice Sport which is plastic but really love how it can take being keep in my pant pocket without fear of breaking it. Works great at the gym and when I am going light when bicycling. I highly recommend the Kaweco.

I have the old series 540 TWSBI but it's essentially the same design as the 580. I have three and they are reliable writers. These pen are perfect when I want to carry a massive load of ink in my pen and not fear losing it.

I had a Lamy Studio. It was an excellent pen except for the section which was metal finished and shaped in a way that caused my fingers to slip closer to the nib as I used it. Which was a shame, because it was a really attractive pen, fit my hand well (except for the slippage) and had a very positive posting action and when used posted, was comfortable and balanced. I gave this one away.

Of the three, I would choose the Kaweco since I lead an active life.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

WARNING, the Lamy Studio is a HEAVY pen, especially compared to the TWSBI 580.

I was glad I tried it in the store, as the weight was too much for me. I prefer light pens, though I could use medium weight up to 25 or 30 grams.

Warning #2 (more in fun), the TWSBI, being a clear pen, allows you to see the ink inside the pen. If you are not careful, you can end up spending too much time watching the ink move to and fro inside the pen. Kinda like the old 'lava lamps' of the 60s.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

TWSBI Diamond 580 - their flagship pen, pretty diamond facet barrel.

Plus, in the unfortunate event you have issues, they have excellent customer service.

It being a piston filler, you'll have a good supply of ink and can just keep going!

Enjoy the new pen!

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

WARNING, the Lamy Studio is a HEAVY pen, especially compared to the TWSBI 580.

I was glad I tried it in the store, as the weight was too much for me. I prefer light pens, though I could use medium weight up to 25 or 30 grams.

Warning #2 (more in fun), the TWSBI, being a clear pen, allows you to see the ink inside the pen. If you are not careful, you can end up spending too much time watching the ink move to and fro inside the pen. Kinda like the old 'lava lamps' of the 60s.

Often times I would show people my TWSBI loaded with Iroshizuku Shin Ryoku (when I was working at a pen and stationery shop) and would dazzle people helplessly until they bought the pen for themselves. It was a very impressive display as the ink sloshed like a mini ocean, the miniature waves crashing against the walls of the barrel and piston. The subsiding waves would leave a beautiful translucent film of green blue ink that gave a promise of a wonderful writing experience.

For less than the cost of a Kaweco AL Sport, you could buy a Pilot Prera, which is also a small pen and would almost certainly have a nice, problem-free nib. The Prera comes in both opaque and transparent versions.

All of those are pretty awesome pens! Personally I'd probably go with the TWSBI just because of how cool those pens are.

<snip>

I had a Lamy Studio. It was an excellent pen except for the section which was metal finished and shaped in a way that caused my fingers to slip closer to the nib as I used it. Which was a shame, because it was a really attractive pen, fit my hand well (except for the slippage) and had a very positive posting action and when used posted, was comfortable and balanced. I gave this one away.

This is true, but the brushed steel version has a rubberised section, which means no slipping for me.

bayesianprior.png

The Kaweco al sport is what I'd recommend. It's built like a tank, and writes quite nicely in my experience. I had a TWSBI 580 al, and while it was nice while it lasted it cracked at the nib collar. Left me feeling rather cold. I understand that people like them, but they really need some more work.

"Oh deer."

I own both a Twsbi 580 and a Lamy Studio, I like both pens very much, both being fitted with steel nibs.

Word of caution on the Studio. I live in Queensland, Australia and during summer when hot and often humid I find the Studio a hard pen to use. The chrome grip on the pen becomes slippery in this weather when your hands are sweaty. The Studio as mentioned in another respose is a relatively heavy pen.

I cannot comment on the Kaweco, having never had one or used one.

For my two cents worth I would recommend the Twsbi as you next purchase. I have had no problems with my 580, especially the cracking of the pen often spoken about in other topics.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

I too, was worried worried about the shiny crip section of some Studios so I choose the silver-colored version that has a black rubbery feeling grip area. No problems with it at all. What did surprise me was how different the writing experience was from the Safari even thought I was using the same steel nibs. BTW, the 1.1 stub nib is a wonderful writer.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

TWSBI Diamond 580 - their flagship pen, pretty diamond facet barrel.

Plus, in the unfortunate event you have issues, they have excellent customer service.

It being a piston filler, you'll have a good supply of ink and can just keep going!

Enjoy the new pen!

~Epic

Agreed.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Thank you for the input, after reading about each pen and looking at them online I think I am going with the TWSBE 580. They seem to be around $50 so that is not too bad. Being new to this I have to get over the idea of spending $50 for a pen.

The next question is about ink. I am left handed and afraid to make a mess if the ink does not dry quickly. So far the only reference I have is what came with my Sheaffer VFM. The ink that came with it dries fast enough and looks pretty black to me (but again, what do I know).

My hand writing is small and most likely will buy the fine nib and go from there, I have also seen a video of somebody writing with the broad nib and it seems like a fun thing to play with.

Edited by ecologito

I would not get a 580. TWSBIs have cracking issue. Check FPN for this topic. I'm not saying all TWSBI 580s will crack, but many do. Don't let people fool you by saying, "But they have excellent customer service and will make it right." They do have a reputation for excellent service and will make it right. However, they should do something about the problem in the first place. If you are set on getting a TWSBI, I'd get the Eco. Thus far, I haven't heard about any cracking issues with that model.

You don't mention what your first pen is, but I'd recommend a Lamy. If you want a demonstrator where you can see the ink, get a Lamy Vista. The nibs are interchangeable. Other than that, I'd recommend an Italix Parson's Essential which is just slightly more than $50.00, sixty something when I last looked. But, it's a beautiful pen and writes like a dream! Again, check FPN for the Italix PE.

Edited by Blue_Moon

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Hi,

As you choose to use the pen inverted (feed upper-most) kindly consider a pen with a conical nib. Those pens are more likely to provide a more consistent supply of ink to the [inverted] nib than a conventional open nib.

Other than the magnificent Sheaffer conical duo-point nibs, which may breach your cost constraint, we have the Parker 25. Originally a student pen, it is plenty robust and can be had for a modest price. Somehow it gained a cult-ish following, so some models command a premium.

I consider its looks to be a built-in anti-theft device, but I adore them :wub:

See also http://parkerpens.net/parker25.html

Regardless of which pen you choose, judicious use of micromesh to hone the nib seems advantageous.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

If you're an underwriter, get used to writing on paper that is set at an angle that leans toward your right side. If your a hooked hand overwriter, the issue of smearing is even a bigger problem. As a fundamentalist Iron Gall ink User (and I firmly believe there IS NO better ink than iron gall ink) I find that iron gall inks dry fast on standard issue office paper.

Do not discount the joy of using a rocker blotter.

Hi,

As you choose to use the pen inverted (feed upper-most) kindly consider a pen with a conical nib. Those pens are more likely to provide a more consistent supply of ink to the [inverted] nib than a conventional open nib.

Other than the magnificent Sheaffer conical duo-point nibs, which may breach your cost constraint, we have the Parker 25. Originally a student pen, it is plenty robust and can be had for a modest price. Somehow it gained a cult-ish following, so some models command a premium.

I consider its looks to be a built-in anti-theft device, but I adore them :wub:

See also http://parkerpens.net/parker25.html

Regardless of which pen you choose, judicious use of micromesh to hone the nib seems advantageous.

Bye,

S1

Thank you,

I was now learning about tinkering FP, what the nib should look like and what are the symptoms of not having one tuned-up. the Sheaffer keeps skipping on me a lot if I write up right, when the ink actually flows it seems like too much in comes out of that medium nib. It seems like the tines are pretty even (parallel) but for some reason there is a lot of material missing between nibs.

After re-reading the comments and previous experiences with the TWSBI I am not sure if I want something with cracking issues. I trully want something better than what I have that I do not have to fiddle with since I am not a fiddler (yet).

I'd suggest you try something with a broader nib. I go back and forth between fines and broads...short attention span. But if you really like the inverted line, you may want a Japanese extra-fine.

Once again,

Thank you all for the great feedback and input. Sandy was spot on about honing the nib on my pen. I wasn't quite sureon how to this until I saw this video:

the series of three videos on adjusting the nib was very helpful to better understand what I was looking for.

Now the pen writes just fine holding it right side up. I guess the medium nib is a tad thick for my writing style (pretty small writing).

Now I feel like I am back on the drawing board (no pun intended) about picking a second pen since #1 (sheaffer VFM) is working as it should.

Edited by ecologito

Thank you,

I was now learning about tinkering FP, what the nib should look like and what are the symptoms of not having one tuned-up. the Sheaffer keeps skipping on me a lot if I write up right, when the ink actually flows it seems like too much in comes out of that medium nib. It seems like the tines are pretty even (parallel) but for some reason there is a lot of material missing between nibs.

After re-reading the comments and previous experiences with the TWSBI I am not sure if I want something with cracking issues. I trully want something better than what I have that I do not have to fiddle with since I am not a fiddler (yet).

Hi,

You're welcome!

If using the pen inverted, few current day manufacturers pay much attention to the tipping at the top side of the nib, hence the likelihood of needing to hone that bit of tipping material to achieve a pleasant writing experience.

But now that you've found a way forward to using your pen/s in the conventional feed down orientation, and are willing to undertake minor adjustments, the Notes for Richard Binder's Nib Smoothing Workshop should be even more helpful: http://www.richardspens.com/pdf/workshop_notes.pdf

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.