Newbie With A Fountain Pen Needs Advice For Paper And Accessories

mvaro2002

Dear All,

I recently got my first fountain pen, the second one will be ordered soon and now I would like to explore the world of papers and other accessories.

My first and main inquiry: I need anlarge good notebook, spiral, 80 pages or more for studying and taking notes where ink/writing does not shine through much. Any standard recommendations?

Second, I travel a lot and would like a pen case for two pens, obvipusly every manufacturer has something to offer, mostly leather, but I thought if someone has something more unique to offer as a suggestion

Third, A regular notebook similar to moleskine, but just trying something new. I recently came accross the midori traveller notebook. Indeed very nice. If someone has an alternative, I am grateful, since I am still in the exploration phase.

Thank you

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mvaro2002

• BigBuddha76

• shea2812

• AnneLyle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Black 'n Red Notebooks are inexpensive and FP friendly and in a variety of sizes.

Curnow Backpocket journals are FP friendly. Baron Fig are also good Moleskin alternatives.

Nock Co makes very nice pen and notebook cases (non leather) for reasonable price and nice quality and in wide selection of colors.

post-36725-0-10770800-1443914212_thumb.jpeg

post-36725-0-10355800-1443914224_thumb.jpeg

post-36725-0-46822800-1443914233_thumb.jpeg

The next step down from Black and Red is Staples, single subject, wire bound, Made in BRAZIL. I use these for my daily journals. The paper is not up to the B&R notebook, but it is a heck of a lot cheaper. So for me it is adequate for my purposes.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

The Black N Red is quality paper and a good notebook.

Another thing you could do is buy a ream of HP24 LASER paper and have it punched/bound in the size you want. I assume you want A4/letter size.

Made in Brazil notebooks are decent paper and inexpensive as ac12 indicated. (including composition books) I use a Brazilian comp book at work for notes rather than a more expensive paper most of the time. Although at any given time I might have one or more of the following with me in addition to the comp book

:

HP 24 Laser, a casebound BNR notebook/journal, a Leuchtturm1917 A5 notebook and at least one size of Rhodia - usually both an A4 and an A5. (different papers for different purposes)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thank you, I will probably start with the Black n Red. One by one. I am also close to buying a Midori Traveller Notebook, just to see whats the hype all about. Regarding the case, I will first try to create smthg by myself, more fun. Thanks for all the suggestions

As others have said Black n' Red or seeing as you live in Europe you can probably get other notebooks with Oxford Optik paper (the same paper is used in Black n' Red) as well. Optik paper is what you want to look for, its great paper for its price.

Don't mind me, I like to ramble... A LOT

In regards of cases I still have not made up my mind.

My pens are not super expensive but I really want to use them a lot therefore some protection may be smart.

However I feel saving money for additional ink or so makes more sense than to pay a lot of money for a case.

I would love to see some more suggestions besides the one above.

THX

Eyeglass cases very sturdy and could be adapted to pens

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Do you have access to Clairefontaine books? I have a lot of the staplebound books but have seen a spiral version too. The paper is excellent As is Rhodia - the dot pages are very versatile... Both comes in the usual sizes (well, not usual in a country where 8.5x11" paper is the norm).

My latest fourite paper is Life Vermillion - switched to that from a Moleskine book and it is just a massive improvement in quality. The cream and red thing is most likely not everyone's cup of tea but it makes certain inks take on another life...

• 1 month later...

Got a decent pencase than can fit 3-4 from Daiso. Good enuff for me shove them in my riding jacket pocket. Real leather just cost too much for me. Its about the ratio of cost over utility for me.

like Alton Brown I prefer things that do double duty. Take a look at a cigar holder or pheasant to transport pens.

Edited by BigBuddha76

Rev. Zack

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

F. Scott Fitzgerald

• 1 month later...

Third, A regular notebook similar to moleskine, but just trying something new. I recently came accross the midori traveller notebook. Indeed very nice. If someone has an alternative, I am grateful, since I am still in the exploration phase.

FWIW, I've found MTN insert paper varies a lot in how it takes fp ink. Don't get me wrong, it's good quality stuff that doesn't feather or bleed, but the standard paper has a very slightly waxy-feeling surface that doesn't take drier pens too well. I was using a Kaweco brown cartridge in my Kaweco Lilliput (F nib) and it was often a real effort to get the ink onto the paper. I switched to another Lilliput inked with Diamine Teal and it wrote like a dream. It could be a difference in the two pens, but nonetheless it's worth experimenting with different pen and ink combos if you want the smoothest writing experience.