Newbie W. Future Pelikan M200 And Some Questions

mvaro2002

Hello all,

I am slowly exploring the world of fountain pens and it is amazing how much is happening in this area.

In elementary and high school I wrote with a Pelikan Fountainpen and would like to go back to the roots by purchasing a M200 or M215.

Where I struggle a little is the Nib size.

I recently got a Parker Urban (medium nib) and would like to have the Pelikan Nib either the same or slightly narrower.

Recently I read the Pelikan Steel Fine Nib has slightly more flex than the medium. Possible? I would prefer slightly more flexibility.

I watched several writing samples on youtube but feel that there is a lot of variation and a medium in one video looks different than in another.

Of course buying an additional Nib is not very costly but I would like to have a satisfying product from the start.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mvaro2002

• zuhandensein

• mmg122

• jmccarty3

Since Parker and Pelikan follow western nib sizes, going with a medium SHOULD give you the same line width as the Parker medium.

However, since each manufacturer has different standards, it may not be so. Since you are okay with a finer line, get the fine.

Here's a list to help you decide: http://nibs.com/TippingSizespage.htm

The steel nibs give line variation - but it's definitely not flex. Just be careful, you won't want to ruin a nib by putting too much pressure on it.

Enjoy the new pen.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I would not call a modern M200 nib "flexy" or even "semi-flex". They have a bit of spring to them in that they are not solid nails you could punch holes in leather with, but they don't give the line variation under light pressure like a true vintage flex nib would. My M205 medium nib puts down slightly more ink under light pressure and will give a bit of "spring", but that's it.

Sorry I can't help on the nib sizes question, I don't have any modern Parker nibs to compare. I'd get the medium to start with and look into the "one free nib swap" service Pelikan offers to know your options in case you want to swap later.

Pelikan medium should give finer line width than you Parker nib. Pelikan fine will definitely be finer.

The Pelikan nib should have more spring to it than a Parker nib.

Of course, the degree to which a nib flexes depends on the writing pressure of the individual, as does the width of the ink line. Still, the mediums of my Pelikan and Parker are about the same. FYI: The M215 is a "heftier" pen, for its metal body. I like my M215 a lot.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

My advise here is that you can buy with confidence: Pelikan has a free nib exchange policy during the first month, if I am not wrong... so if you find that the nib is not what you were expecting you can have it replaced for free.

I don't know if the nib replacement goes through the vendor or if you have to contact Pelikan directly, so it is probably a good idea —specially if you buy online— that you buy your pen from a seller that will send it to you with the warranty form properly filled and stamped (I bought my first Pelikan to Amazon and I received no warranty with it).

Anyway. Probably someone here knows better than me about how all this works....

Edited by zuhandensein

Pelikan M200 Cognac, EF + J. Herbin Perle Noire

Kaweco Sport Brass F (golden nib!) + Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris

I agree with the above comments. No flex in modern stainless steel nibs, just some nice spring. I love these stainless steel nibs. Good luck with the M2xx purchase.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Thank you for the several replies. I wish it was not too much about the nib flex. I don't worry too much about that. I guess I will then go with the fine nib, its certainly better to write, and I write a lot, but with the medium nib you enjoy more the ink you choose and its variation.

Most likely it is going to be the m215 with rings or the classic m200 with the green window. As a start ;-)

I guess I will then go with the fine nib, its certainly better to write, and I write a lot, but with the medium nib you enjoy more the ink you choose and its variation.

I have an extra-fine (probably broader than others EF) and I find it quite useable in many different situations. I usually write on A5 size sheets (Rhodia R). If I had to write on A4 paper I would probably prefer a fine nib, but I think I would not be very satisfied with a medium nib because even in an A4 size I like to keep my wiriting on the smallish size and leaving generous margins. But I agree that ink is more enjoyable on broader sizes. And I also prefer broader nibs for brief notes, signatures, etc. Good luck with your selection!

Pelikan M200 Cognac, EF + J. Herbin Perle Noire

Kaweco Sport Brass F (golden nib!) + Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris

Just to echo zunhandensein I also have an EF M805 and it just performs magnificently. I like the Parker M a lot especially on lesser quality paper but honestly even the EF is so fluid and smooth that I am happy using it on any paper. Enjoy your M215 if you go that route - beautiful with just the right weight.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Pelikan F nib, especially compared with a modern Parker.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Thx for all the replies, I am glad I got a little overview before my purchase. Now last but not least, any good suggestions where to buy it? I am currenly in New York for the next couple of months but also have family in Germany. Therefore the Us and German Market could be my source

Rolf Thiel at missing_pen.de is an excellent source for Pelikan pens. You can buy from his eBay shop but a better approach is to email him with the pen you want and you'll save shipping costs. He accepts PayPal and is a very reliable seller. His email address is missing-pen@te-online.de

He is located in Benjental, Deutschland.

Decided on a black M215 with Ring Design and a Fine Nib. Can't wait for it to arrive ;-) Very Happy, thank you all.