Help With Verifying Retailer?

Morgoth

Hello everyone.

I wish to purchase a Sailor Profit pen as both my first Sailor pen and my first pen with a gold nib. I was linked this retailer by someone who owns one, but I've been hearing some very mixed reviews about them.

Could you all weigh in here to help me out?

Is this pen even a good choice for my first gold nib pen?

Is it actually a gold nib pen? The reviews I've heard on this guy's advertising were also... mixed.

My spending limit is about $120USD.

Thanks for your time. My apologies if this thread is in the wrong section.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mmg122

• ScienceChick

• PabloAU

• Morgoth

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Morgoth...can't help you with the question about the Sailor pen as I don't own one. Have you checked the pen reviews on the forum to see if one of the members has reviewed it?

As for the retailer, I have done business with them on several occasions and have had all positive experiences...reasonable prices, product delivered as advertised, prompt shipping, good communication. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Hope this helps. Other members experiences may vary.

Mary

I've bought from Engeika several times and have had good experiences. I usually get the shipping notification a week or so after ordering, but their range and prices are good, and Japan Post is very quick.

I've also bought from Engeika several times, all positive experiences. I had the pens in hand within two weeks and at much better prices than I could find in the US.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

The retailer is solid - I've purchased from him on a few occasions and have never been disappointed. I have a couple of Sailor pens purchased from him - Sailor's gold nibs are 14k and 21K - I have the 14K in EF and several F and an M in 21K but am hard pressed to tell you the functional difference. If you like F nibs in general they are extremely good. All the best!

I have very positive experience from them. The shipping to usa was reasonably fast and reasonably priced. They occasionally have special deals (recently free shipping). I have ordered items that were not immediately in stock (knowing in advance) and they got them out in about two weeks. Very well packed and no customs charges to usa.

The Japanese big 3 (Sailor, Platinum, and Pilot) make excellent pens. They all provide a range of options across all price points, and the one consistent factor is a good quality pen. So if you are interested in purchasing a Sailor, you're making a good choice.

People make a great deal about the gold nib on pens. If you find a good pen with all of the characteristics that you like with a nib you enjoy, you'll find that the material of the nib doesn't matter. 14k gold is common for a host of good reasons, but a modern steel nib will give you decades of incredible performance that will be unnoticeable in your hands.

If you are picking a Sailor Profit because you like how it feels and how the nib performs, don't worry too much about the nib material.

You've gotten many good responses about the retailer.

Buzz

Two buys from engeika and no complaints. Very accommodating seller. Only caveat, sometimes pens may be out of stock. Better to mail him first to confirm availability and then place order...

A lifelong FP user...

I have purchased from Taizo San of Engeika a number of times. Every time the pen came through - eventually. You have to be patient sometimes. Communication from the seller is sporadic (in my opinion) and sometimes you have to wait quite a while before the pen ships. Much depends on whether the pen is in-stock or whether Engeika must order the pen from the manufacturer. Prices are good though and shipping via EMS with tracking is relatively cheap also. If you don't see the pen you want on the Engeika Web site, send an Email. Often the pen can be had. Many complain that you have to make an account and log-in to see all the prices and pens on the Engeika Web site. I can understand this reluctance, but the seller has not been spamming me or selling my Email address (AFAIK).

TL;DR: I have bought from Engeika. I will likely buy from Engeika again.