The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Chicago Pen Show

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kenny

kenny

All Hail Caffeine!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:33

I have never been to a Pen Show. I am getting psyched about the idea of going to the Chicago Pen Show. I need to work out the particulars with Mrs. Kenny, but I really want to go.

I haven't seen the kind of enthusiasm for the Chicago Pen Show as I have seen for, say, L.A. Is anyone else planning to go and maybe blow their tax refund?

Sponsored Content

#2 O'Hare

O'Hare

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2007 - 21:15

I'll be there on Sunday looking for a few things smile.gif I'm surprised to not see more discussion about it too, but I'm excited! bunny01.gif

#3 obmike

obmike

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:03

i was going to go to pick up a waterman overlay. however, i think i'm just going to stay home and order a nakaya online.

#4 petra

petra

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 886 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:37

I'll be at the Chicago Show. I've never been and am wondering if it's mostly vintage, or are there reps form modern pen vendors / manufacturers? What's the main attraction at the Chicago show? I've only been to the Ohio show.

Somehow I have a feeling that I better only take along a specific and limited amount of cash...

Petra

#5 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:10

I wish that I could, but with the state of things right now in my life, it's not the best thing to do from a financial perspective. Someone please take copius pictures and post them, please.

Ah...to witness a company's implosion...what a ride. If I make it out the other side of this one without a heart attack, I'll be amazed.blink.gif

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#6 kenny

kenny

All Hail Caffeine!

• Member - Gold

• 811 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 17:03

QUOTE(O @ Apr 17 2007, 04:15 PM) View Post
I'll be there on Sunday looking for a few things smile.gif I'm surprised to not see more discussion about it too, but I'm excited! bunny01.gif

Yes, I wonder if it is not as popular as other shows for some reason.

#7 david i

david i

Museum Piece

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 20:39

QUOTE(kenny @ Apr 20 2007, 09:03 AM) View Post

Chicago is the original pen show. One of the two-three largest by table count. Lots of vintage. Growing amount of modern. (bleep) (me) will be there five days. If you have not gone to pen show and believe you experience pendom via ebay and web boards... you truly don't know what you are missing.

Join us for beer n' cheese in the evening.

david

#8 steersbylitning

steersbylitning

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:51

QUOTE(kenny @ Apr 16 2007, 01:33 AM) View Post
I have never been to a Pen Show. I am getting psyched about the idea of going to the Chicago Pen Show. I need to work out the particulars with Mrs. Kenny, but I really want to go.

I haven't seen the kind of enthusiasm for the Chicago Pen Show as I have seen for, say, L.A. Is anyone else planning to go and maybe blow their tax refund?

If I had the money, I'd be there, so I highly recommend going if you can.

I went last year for the first time, just for one day (I was visiting my daughter who lives in Chicago) and had a great time.

But going to a pen show without money to spend is torture. I'll just stay home and enjoy the pens I already have this year.

Debbie

#9 kenny

kenny

All Hail Caffeine!

• Member - Gold

• 811 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 13:12

QUOTE(david i @ Apr 20 2007, 03:39 PM) View Post
QUOTE(kenny @ Apr 20 2007, 09:03 AM) View Post

Chicago is the original pen show. One of the two-three largest by table count. Lots of vintage. Growing amount of modern. (bleep) (me) will be there five days. If you have not gone to pen show and believe you experience pendom via ebay and web boards... you truly don't know what you are missing.

Join us for beer n' cheese in the evening.

david

Which evening?

I was planning to be there just Saturday and Sunday, as I cannot get the time off work to go Thursday and Friday.

#10 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2007 - 00:02

Count me in too. I'll probably make it Saturday for sure, possibly Sunday, maybe friday night too. Depends really.

Looking for the usual stuff, wierd esterbrook, hard rubber, etc.

My rule of thumb is to plan your budget, then multiply by 2.5x and that's how much money you take. biggrin.gif I actually have direct deposit set up on my paycheck to go towards the Chicago pen show fund every year. roller1.gif

If no other reason, go to meet the people. I often times think we go to a show to meet new people and the pens are a side result of that, not the other way around.

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#11 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2007 - 00:07

QUOTE(obmike @ Apr 17 2007, 10:03 PM) View Post
i was going to go to pick up a waterman overlay. however, i think i'm just going to stay home and order a nakaya online.

Your selection of waterman overlays will be quite good in Chicago. I was looking for a 452 last year, and there were plenty to choose from, not to mention all the other more expensive silver, GF, and Gold options and variations out there.

You could go to the show, look around, then if you don't find the pen you want, order the nakaya. smile.gif

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#12 david i

david i

Museum Piece

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:36

catch up to me in the show room. Middle area. (bleep) Banner probably in front of table. We do hang out in evenings. Lots fun.

david

#13 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 14:13

Wish I could be there, but sadly, I don't believe it's happening for me this year.

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#14 kenny

kenny

All Hail Caffeine!

• Member - Gold

• 811 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 00:12

It's coming up fast!

Sponsored Content

|