Waiting-For-A-Pen Coping Mechanisms

requiescat

Hi,

No doubt that your mum is most correct, and that you are among friends on FPN.

A dozen pens and a dozen inks seems just a bit de trop, but I reckon vagaries of delivery in your region tend to make one put all their eggs in one basket, then watch that basket very carefully. FedEx to a GPS coordinate can be done, though a Diplomatic Pouch is a hair more reliable. :)

Bye,

S1

Hello,

With no doubt I am among great and most respected friends here at FPN.

And yes mum also taught me about the eggs and baskets thing, and this time I did listen to her, the pens and inks are actually in three batches with difference of a week for each order, the first one expected on Wednesday.

Let's hope all eggs arrive safely.

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erasmus

• northstar

• Sandy1

• requiescat

I tend to obsessively check the tracking information if it's provided, which stood me in good stead on my last tv purchase. UPS lost it for awhile, but Amazon got on the case and they found it right away. If I'm ordering from China then I try to order something else closer to home so the wait doesn't seem so long. It's like Christmas! Only not just in December.

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

Well, i still remember myself keep tracking the packages everyday to make sure it is on the move. And usually i have 2-3 packages in transfer at the same time. Yes, i purchased another pen because it is boring to wait for the previous pen :D

After my first touch to Nakaya and other custom pens, the waiting suddenly becomes irrelevant. I know i won't get my pen for at least half of year, so no point tracking it. I just ignore it totally.

compulsive package tracking ...... there should be a support group for that... hold on... I need to go check on a package shipping from Germany to see if it has cleared customs in NY....

Hello,

fly_us you wait for half a year??? I can't do that, if I know something will take that long, I will just not get it.

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello,

fly_us you wait for half a year??? I can't do that, if I know something will take that long, I will just not get it.

Best regards.

Half of year is typical estimation for custom pens. That is the pen that made only for you, by your request, then it takes time. The more difficult the request is, the longer the wait.

I'm not sure about other people, but since i get into custom pen, i consider this waiting period is a "learning" time when i learn how to appreciate the current one and develop a bond with it, rather than just keep rotation like when i have 40+ pens. Even when the pen is made for my request, i think it is only truly mine when i use it extensively and get a feel with it after a long time.

Current coping methods seem to include browsing FPN and eBay, as well as habitually checking tracking info, as others have said. Shockingly, this also seems to be making my bank account very unhappy, so I need to find something that doesn't end with me waiting on something else to come in the mail! :P

Currently, there's a baking competition show from the BBC on Netflix that's helping do the trick, though it makes me hungry, so perhaps that will be bad for my waistline instead of bad for my wallet? ;)

This may seem dull in comparison to the Great British Baking Competition (I'm a fan) but I like to flush out and clean a pen and put a different ink

in it. Taking a different pen into rotation, or putting one back in the drawer also works!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I feel that as long as you have a pen in the mail, you will always keep fantasizing about that pen. It doesn't matter what pens you already have.

That's why I try to never have more than 1 thing in the mail, because if one arrives, you are just waiting for the second one to arrive and can't really be happy with what arrived first.

Right now I kind of have to cope with a "huge wait", as I want to save up for 2-3 months without any major buys and then get a more high-end pen for myself.