Suggestions For "in Your Face" Blue?

pkek91

Ive recently got into fountain pens and been only using the lamy blue (the ones that are in by default with the pens) but they tend to dry out into a greyish blue...

I would like suggestions for a blue that stands out really well that are closer to the gel/ballpoint inks something like this when it dries out

Noodler's are out of the question since they are discontinnued in Australia

Iroshizuku line are also out of the question since its so expensive here ($40~50)

something with a low maintanence and water resistance would be prefered

other inks im currently using are

Pelikan 4001 Blue black

Lamy Copper orange (soon to be changed into Diamine Havana Brown or Rustic Brown)

MB Irish Green (getting alongside with brown)

Currently using Lamy Safari with 2 Fine Nibs (Orange and Blue) and 1.1 Italic (Blue Black)

Thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pkek91

• lapis

• migo984

• PaperQueen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quink Permanent Blue?

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I would look at the Diamine web-site:

Diamine Sapphire

Diamine Blue Velvet (150th anniversary)

Diamine Cornflower (flowers set)

spring to mind, but there are plenty of blues to choose from.

PR do Naples Blue and Daphne Blue, which are also quite bright.

Maybe check out some Ink reviews on FPN to see which you like the look of.

Here are some of the 'in-your-face' blues I've tried in the past and enjoyed - all of them have easy maintenance and I noted which ones have some water-resistance:

- Visconti Blue

- Private Reserve Electric DC Blue

- Private Reserve American Blue

- Diamine Sargasso Sea

- Diamine Blue Velvet

- Platinum Pigmented Blue (high water resistance)

If you haven't already, check out the Swap Shop on the Goulet Pens website (http://www.gouletpens.com/Swab-Shop-Blue). I've used this tool extensively to find ink colors, shades, and values I wanted - an amazing tool!

Good luck with your searching and welcome to the addiction :)

b

+1 for Diamine Blue Velvet from their 1864 Anniversary line

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

You can buy Iroshizuku from Japan (Rakuten) for a decent price. I payed EUR 17, including shipping to Europe.

My suggestion is Asa-gao.

Also Sailor Jentle Souten will fit into you spec.

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

+? Diamine Blue Velvet, PR American Blue and Diamine Mr Pen Radiant Blue.

Rohrer & Klingner's Konigsblau may also qualify.

Thanks for the replies im now currently debating between

Diamine Blue Velvet or Visconti Blue

or

PR DC supershow or electric (for that purple sheen(?))

Most likely Diamine since its one of the more regularly seen in stores (offline)

Thanks once more

A possibility...?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This is the one I would suggest too. Along with some of the other Diamine ones mentioned earlier.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I love the Akkerman ink bottles they're pretty unique reminds me of Ramune (the japanese drinks), would sheening inks work as a regular use inks (notes,exams etc.) just dont think it'll be exam appropriate/practical enough although i would love to get one in my collection

Edited by pkek91

Note that some ballpoint inks can have surprising amount of sheen on cheap copy paper while same paper may not show sheen from fountain pen inks.

On 80 gram Canon copy paper Diamine Majestic blue and Private reserve Electric DC blue has slight red sheen from a very wet glass dip pen, and direct sunlight. (Well, what sunlight we get in Finland at this point of year.)

Ofcourse YMMV, BBQ, BMW and so on.

Edited by aeba

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

Montblanc Royal Blue. A nice neutral or "pure" blue. A lot of those mentioned above are much darker IMO.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

A possibility...?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Where the heck does one find Mr. Pen Radiant Blue??? (Guessing not here in the States, drats.)

pkek91, I just peeked at the Akkerman website---looks like Akkerman Blue might be a contender:

http://www.vulpennen.nl/en/inkt-and-vullingen/AkkInkt000.html

Of all their blues, that one seems to be the "knock-you-out-est" of the bunch (Passage Blue is a bit brighter, but isn't a true a blue as your description).

Edited by PaperQueen

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

"Where the heck does one find Mr. Pen Radiant Blue??? (Guessing not here in the States, drats.)"

@PaperQueen

You can get it from Peter Ford's site (Mr Pen). He's the guy who sells Italix Parson's Essential pens etc. He is based in the UK.

http://www.mrpen.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d76.html

If you'd like to try Radiant Blue I'd be happy to send you a sample :-) PM me your address.

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

If you'd like to try Radiant Blue I'd be happy to send you a sample :-) PM me your address.

Ooh, ooh, ooh, yes please! Am PM'ing you now. (Thank you!)

(I'm planning a trip to Scotland and Ireland next spring; if this wins my heart, might be bringing some back from my visit.)

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

:W2FPN:

Hi,

You have a great selection of inks from which to choose! (We are spoiled by having so many fine choices.)

To my eye for a Blue to have 'snap' it should lean toward Sapphire-Indigo rather than Green-Aqua, and not have too too much Purple.*

Even though I very often reach for inks with a bit of shading, to be snappy the ink should have low shading potential.

As indicated by member lapis, some inks have an appropriate colour, but are rather dark (low Value), which tends to submerge the colour. My work-around to that situation is to dilute the ink a bit. Increasing the Value will also bring the ink closer to the visual plane of the paper - a bit more 'in your face'. The extend of dilution will depend on pen wetness (flow) and the paper's absorbency.†

Other aspects of the paper may be considered:

> Base-tints that are warm/dirty have less simultaneous [colour] contrast to the ink, which lessens the amount of inky snap.

> Optical brightening agents can be a bit overpowering, especially if using a narrow nib and/or writing in a compact hand.

> Smooth [coated] papers will also promote snap to a greater extend than those with a soft hand.

Bye,

S1

__ __

* Wiki International Klein Blue https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Klein_Blue

Private Reserve American Blue - Dilution: 100, 80, 66 & 40% https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/180919-dilution-private-reserve-americam-blue/&do=findComment&comment=1820459

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.