• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bklyn

• TheRealScubaSteve

• Scribblesoften

• Bounce792

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Plastic feels cheap. Generally, plastic IS cheap. However, "demonstrator" usually means

" transparent " . In place of transparent plastic, do you prefer "transparent wood" or "transparent aluminum" ? As improvement, what would you change about your TWSBI to make it better for you ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Lots of good suggestions. One thing,however - if you are determined to get a demonstrator,it will likely be some sort of plastic. Regardless of what the manufacturer calls it.

This is true. I never thought of it that way.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

The Lamy 2000 is being offered for USD 119,40 at massdrop for the next few days. I don't own the pen, but it's a piston filler that definitively doesn't look cheap.

Yes, that is a nice looking pen.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Just spent a few minutes feeling up my pens, uhh, I mean touching my pens to ascertain the difference in feeling between plastic, ebonite, acrylic, metal, etc.

Any how, think maybe one of the reasons you don't like the 580 is that the barrel is not smooth and circular, rather it is shaped into many different planes. Giving a very different feel than a circular barrel would. So perhaps the Eco demonstrater by TWSBI would be a good choice. Or an inexpensive alternative would be the Nemosine Singularity.

If the coolness of the plastic turns you off, maybe you would enjoy the slightly warmer feel of an ebonite barrel. Many different choices for ebonite, starting at around $40.00. Suggest Fountain Pen Revolution for a start, then try Ranga listings at Peyton Street Pens. Of course, with ebonite you are going to lose the demonstrator aspect. However, you will get a classic look that screams elegance to replace it. I have a green-black ebonite with an Eversharp nib from Peyton Street Pens that is a real pleasure to write with. And a Sheaffer Inlaid nib in a Ranga brown-black ebonite barrel that looks very impressive. A great writer with a lovely broad nib worked into an italic.

Best of luck,

Randal, this is GREAT info and insight. I thank you sir.

I do not believe that anyone has yet mentioned the Pilot Custom Heritage 92. Piston fill - yes, demonstrator - yes, not plastic - well two out of three. I cannot say if the plastic feels cheaper, that is a perception thing.

Wow. A bit pricy but that is a NICE pen.

Agreed. Plastic feels cheap. Generally, plastic IS cheap. However, "demonstrator" usually means

" transparent " . In place of transparent plastic, do you prefer "transparent wood" or "transparent aluminum" ? As improvement, what would you change about your TWSBI to make it better for you ?

I would say that if I could make one improvement, it would be create a grip that was made of a different material. Perhaps a design that would have a grip that was ebonite with a contrasting color. I can see that being incorporated not the design.

I would say that if I could make one improvement, it would be create a grip that was made of a different material. Perhaps a design that would have a grip that was ebonite with a contrasting color. I can see that being incorporated not the design.

If a new section would make you happy, I'd be shocked if one of the turners on FPN could not make you a section to fit onto your TWSBI. If not, feel free to send me your 580. :D

Certainly you are not the only one that dislikes plastic. Strangely enough, the 580 is my favorite pen. Mostly for comfort, but I do not get the feel of cheap plastic with it. The Preppies and many acrylic pens, on the other hand, drive me nuts. They feel too hard. I would not be surprised if there are some nice ebonite pens (Indian) that could be made or are available with piston fillers.

Thank you, I'm in complete agreement. I've heard others say they thought the 580 felt cheap. I just don't get it. The 580 feels very durable to me

Thank you, I'm in complete agreement. I've heard others say they thought the 580 felt cheap. I just don't get it. The 580 feels very durable to me

Great minds think alike. Of the ridiculous number of pens I own (cost aside), my TWSBIs would easily be in the top 3 for durability. I do not baby most of my pens and I worry least about TWSBIs and, of course, my cheapies. It doesn't seem to scratch easily and feels very thick and rugged compared to other pens. I'm a big defender for TWSBI because I think they get a bad rap from people who assume that the known issues with the early 530s and 540s are still present.

Even if they were, from what I hear TWSBI has the best customer service of any pen company. Free parts shipped to your door with no questions asked. Not to name any names, but $500-$1,000+ pens that cost over $100 for a nib exchange or service to actually make it write out of the box is just a shame.

my TWSBIs would easily be in the top 3 for durability.

Polycarbonate was a plastic that was engineered with durability in mind. It's one of the components of bullet proof glass you know

I really like my TWSBI Eco, the high density polycarbonate that TWSBI uses really gives their pens a nice weight.

Don't mind me, I like to ramble... A LOT

I think they are going for about $110 on Amazon at this time.

$103 from Pisuke2005 + $10 shipping + free tea.

Same price as a Lamy 2000 plus free tea from Pisuke.

round-letter-exc.png

Even Pelikan pens are made of plastic... resin is a plastic.

Anyhow, I would recommend the Pelikan M205 Amethyst demonstrator... but that's over your budget.

Maybe a Pilot Prera? Or Platinum Cool?

~Epic

Platinum cool with piston?

I just got one, it's C/C . Prera the same

Platinum cool with piston?

I just got one, it's C/C . Prera the same

Oops, I forgot the piston part - pardon me, I was trying to fit the demo and below $100 requirement, but I neglected piston....

Well technically they are piston converters anyhow haha.

BTW: I have another recommendation for piston and below $100 (but not demo) - NOS Reform 1745. Heard lots of good things about it.

~Epic

Edited by Lord Epic
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Almost all pens are plastic. My Montblanc 149 is plastic. Ditto for my Pelikan M800 and my Omas 360.

I have some very cheap Duke Chinese pens which are painted brass. But they are typically about twice as heavy as the three high-end pens above. I like to use them at my desk, but don't like to carry them due to their weight.

Alan

Very durable, yes but they lack a sense of elegance. A sense of quality NIT in terms of them failing but in terms of them being a ting of beauty. (Yes, eye of the beholder of course) I am beginning to feel that some FPs are tools, some are toys and some are prestige. Perhaps the best are all three.