Art Of Art's Nibs - Is He Okay?

sidthecat

I wonder if anyone knows Art Van Haselen's whereabouts? I've emailed him a couple of times and gotten no reply...he's usually a reliable fellow so I worry.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8a4re

• Editionsteno

• overwriter

• sidthecat

Of course...I was more concerned for him than my pens. He mentioned that his real-world boss was giving him more work, for which I sympathize.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just about to post this same question. I've emailed him three times over the last couple of weeks about a couple of pens he's had since early September. He was always so responsive that I was becoming concerned. Here's hoping all is well with him!

• 2 weeks later...

I heard back from Art over the weekend. My pens are on their way back and he gave me a very generous discount because of the delay. I hope this means whatever challenges he's been facing the last couple of months are starting to ease up for him.

Glad to hear he's Ok. I contacted him a couple times late last month regarding sending a pen to him, but haven't heard back yet. Hope everything's going fine! I'd love to have him take a look at my pens.

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have a couple pens in his queue since July. I know he is busy and will get to them when he can just havnt heard anything for a few months.

• 5 months later...

Anyone have recent news? 2 Vintages Parker Lucky Curve sent last august and no news and no reply to my messages... I am getting really worried!

• 2 weeks later...

Having the same problem. What can we do to get our pens back? At this point, I just want them back... I don't care if the work is done or not. I've sent multiple emails and even mailed letters.

View his site in mobile. I see an integrated call option with an El Paso area code.

WHOA. Good find! I texted and it was delivered. We'll see if that gets him. Thanks!

I've had the same problem...I feel bad about it. He does nice work.

I feel badly too. I don't think he's a bad guy or deliberately swindling anyone. I have a feeling he's just overextended. All I have asked for so far is an update, though. It doesn't take long to send an email explaining there's a delay.

Update! That phone number worked. I texted and he replied late last night. He said he's been super busy with work and would return my pens this weekend. (I am not expecting the work to be done -- I just want my pens back in my hands.) I'm just glad to have made some contact! I know from others who have used him in the past that he's said work got in the way of his nib grinding business... He seems like a nice, good guy so I can only assume he has repeatedly overextended himself. I don't think he is deliberately leading people on, and I don't get the sense that he's lying or making excuses. That said, if I had know this was an ongoing pattern I wouldn't have sent my pens.

To everyone else... go to his mobile site and call or text the number!

Update! That phone number worked. I texted and he replied late last night. He said he's been super busy with work and would return my pens this weekend. (I am not expecting the work to be done -- I just want my pens back in my hands.) I'm just glad to have made some contact! I know from others who have used him in the past that he's said work got in the way of his nib grinding business... He seems like a nice, good guy so I can only assume he has repeatedly overextended himself. I don't think he is deliberately leading people on, and I don't get the sense that he's lying or making excuses. That said, if I had know this was an ongoing pattern I wouldn't have sent my pens.

To everyone else... go to his mobile site and call or text the number!

Glad that number worked for you. Pity he's so overworked. I have a nib or two I'd like worked on.

Overwork at the job that pays the bills is often something a person has no choice about - and the conscientious people who know what they are doing are the most likely to be overworked. I hope things get a little easier for him!

• 3 weeks later...

No news for me on my side; look like he blocked me on facebook a couple of month ago and I don't get any reply to my e-mails... I guess my pens are now a total lost... The lost of my old "Big Red" is so painful for me, it was my most unique and favourite pen since I was able to track down the previous owner of it and had the full history and background of that pen (Its a personalized pen).
Nearly a year now, without any reply or info...
I am happy for those who got their pens back... You are lucky!

I texted the number on the mobile site (it's not visible on the desktop site) and it was his cell. I finally got a response and he returned my pens. Only one pen was done, but that's fine... I just wanted them back. He didn't charge me.

The guy seems to be overextending himself. It's no excuse to be completely uncommunicative, though. I encouraged him to stop with the nib work until he was sure he had the time.