Fc Basic Mother Of Pearl

subbu68

The story how I got it

Not a long story to bore you all :-) . In my search for pens in Dubai landed on FC pens and got a FC pen along with my other hauls. Only after a search on the net on reaching home that I found it is called FC Basic Mother Of Pearl.

How it came

The pen came in an attractive dark brown plastic case like my e-Motion that flips open.

21074109473_8de18d537c_c.jpg

The pen came with just a standard international cartridge.

How it Looks

It’s a normal length pen with taper on cap end and a cylindrical barrel. Looks like a cross breed of e-Motion and Ambition.

21599724880_acde8111cb_c.jpg

The cap is shiny black , cigar shape and with speckles of ‘star dust’ - looks like a portion of Milky Way. The barrel is a black cylinder with specks of Mother Of Pearl. The chrome finial at the bottom. The cap is click fit type.

Cap has a metal clip that is tight and springy. The FC logo and name is engraved on the cap but is not easily visible. At the top it ends with a concave surface and is chopped off a bit just above the clip.

21599397950_2224dca309_c.jpg

21796893351_7feffb95ac_c.jpg

The section is black and speckled again finished straight with grooves and is “slip free” to hold.

The pen came with a steel F nib that I wanted. FC logo and nib size on the nib elegantly engraved as usual with the plastic feed.

21166386623_23093ed862_c.jpg

In between the cap and the barrel is an ink window!! I never noticed it in the shop. Is it that this pen can be used as ED too?

21761306356_54b0a2804e_c.jpg

The pen barrel is metal as I can hear a metallic sound when I drop it on the table.The whole barrel seems to have a plastic insert in it as I can see it black till the end.

The cap seem to be of black plastic and is click fit. The ink window is not ‘shut’ when the cap is on. Nice thought on the part of FC that you can see the ink without opening the cap.

Overall I like the look of the pen. Any would look at it if you take out of your pocket!!

How it weighs and how long and fat it is

It is a light pen. Capped it is 25gm and uncapped it is 18gm. I weighed in the ‘use’ mode with FC converter fitted and ink filled.

It has the length of Lamy Studio when capped. When uncapped Studio reaches the ‘shoulder’ of FC Basic MOP.

It is 14 cm end to end capped and is pocketable. 13.5cm uncapped and posted it is 19.2cm long!!!. Posting it makes it too long to comfortably use.

Barrel diameter is 12.98mm, diameter of the grip section is 11.20mm. Grip is uniform diameter through out.

Writing with Basic MOP

I used the converter from my e-Motion with Pilot blue ink. With F nib the line is decently wet and like the fineness. Nib makes noise while writing but is smooth. It is similar to the F nib on my e-motion but I found it a little broad to start. May be the pen was not under lock and key in the store and someone mishandled it. I squeezed the nib a little and it became the same F nib as on my e-Motion.

21512771059_e0f2429d3b_c.jpg

Without posting the pen is comfortable to write with. The rear finial is well above the joint of my thumb and forefinger when I hold it. Very comfortable grip with no undue pain due to the grooves. I used it for a while at work today and was not tiring to use.

It is very elegant looking or should I say quirky looking? Any would look at it at least once if you have it out writing.

Thank you for reading my somewhat a long review. Hope it would be of use to someone.

Edited by subbu68

Regards

Subramoniam

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• subbu68

• creedo

• sannidh

• Alma

Top Posters In This Topic

That is quite a collection you have! Thanks for the nice writeup :)

Thanks ... my collection is just about 50 only including those from some 20 yrs. There are many on FPN with hundreds or even a thousand pens :yikes: .

I used this pen for a day now and found it a pretty good writer. It's a VFM.

Regards

Subramoniam

Thanks ... my collection is just about 50 only including those from some 20 yrs. There are many on FPN with hundreds or even a thousand pens :yikes: .

I used this pen for a day now and found it a pretty good writer. It's a VFM.

Too many pens, too little time. :P

Too many pens, too little time. :P

Hehehe... my collection was only 10 or so about 16 months back!! My daughter's is separate 45 or so!

Regards

Subramoniam

Thank you for the nice review Subbu :)

Who is using it btw, you or your daughter?

Thanks for reading it :) . Daughter is a fan of Lamy. She found FCs heavy for her and did not want to settle on the typical school pen from FC. She picked up that Nexx M she reviewed.

Regards

Subramoniam