Grail Writing Pen

parnesh

There have been a quite a few threads about grail pens so I thought I would put a bit of a twist on it. I seem to have, atleast for now, found my grail writing pen. The Pilot 912 SFM. The pen is a good size and weight, the con-70 holds a fair amount of ink and the nib is just springy enough. The fact the the pen costs ~$120 and comes in a huge array of nibs is also a big selling point for me (also have a SU). A very close second is Lamy 2000.

Aesthetics aside, what are your grail writing pens?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• parnesh

• Mulrich

• benbot517

• figboot

I have a second tier (no white dot) Sheaffer Touchdown-filling desk pen with a Feather Touch medium nib. I think it is a frankenpen because the feed and nib are way too short for the cavity in the section. Anyway, the nib is smooth with just a hint of tooth and the balance is perfect for me. It is a superb writer.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

Every time I set my sights on a grail pen and end up getting it, I'm disappointed by the way it writes. However, I've always wanted a nice vintage hard rubber Waterman or Wahl pen with a wet, flexy nib. Perhaps I won't be disappointed by one of those. I often find myself less let down by vintage pens than I am with newer pens.

Edited by ThirdeYe

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

I'm trying to decide exactly how I like my nibs so I can buy whatever pen I like and then spend $60 to have a nibmeister make the nib work just how I like it. I probably already own my grail pen but I plan on having the nib worked on once I decide how I want to write with it.

I'm trying to decide exactly how I like my nibs so I can buy whatever pen I like and then spend $60 to have a nibmeister make the nib work just how I like it. I probably already own my grail pen but I plan on having the nib worked on once I decide how I want to write with it.

Yes I agree. I tend to prefer stubs and springy nibs. While I don't have a nibmeister ground nib yet, it is something I have considered in the past but ended up buying new pens instead. Now I think I am getting to the stage where I know what I like and what I need so fewer new pens hopefully and possibly one or two nib mesiter ground nibs.

It is difficult to get soft/springy nibs outside of a few manufacturers however, hence my very strong preference for Pilot.

Every time I set my sights on a grail pen and end up getting it, I'm disappointed by the way it writes. However, I've always wanted a nice vintage hard rubber Waterman or Wahl pen with a wet, flexy nib. Perhaps I won't be disappointed by one of those. I often find myself less let down by vintage pens than I am with newer pens.

I have always wanted a hard rubber pen as well and I ended up getting a Mabie Todd Swan. While it is a nice pen, I can't say it will ever become an everyday carry. I practice some calligraphy with it once in a while.

Good luck with these nibmeisters. They are not all that good from my experience.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

Good luck with these nibmeisters. They are not all that good from my experience.

Have you had problems with specific people or just nibmeisters in general? Reading through the forums there seems to be 5-6 that are generally respected.

Some of my perfect pens, which performed perfectly with no tinkering are:

Pelikan M800

Pilot Custom 823

Pilot Vanishing Point

Duke D2 ($8)

Jinhao 159 ($7)

Rosetta Coronado

But I also enjoy tinkering and have turned many scratchy pens into sweethearts with a few minutes of fine abrasive polishing.

Edited by Precise

My daily writer grail is an 80s Pelikan M400. It came to me for $20 missing it's cap. A new cap and a period medium nib later and it's probably my favorite pen. Makes taking class notes a breeze.

"Oh deer."

My grail pen is the Montblanc Hitchcock. I'm a big film buff and love the work of Hitchcock. On top of that, it's a really cool looking pen by one of my favorite manufacturers.

I have been blessed with some very nice-writing pens. I like the fat ones.

Bexley Corona

Vintage Parker Duofold Sr.

Parker 51

Pelikan M1000

LAMY 2000

However, " Grail " has the connotation of " find-of-a-lifetime ". I aint there, yet.

I hope, someday, to find a Parker Trench Pen.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

My grail pen is the Aurora Optima Mare. However, like they say in Dutch:"'t bezit van de zaak is 't einde van 't vermaak."

Would you be happy with a plain optima as a writer? They are very nice pens and writers. I have a auroloid blue one and I love the writing qualities and balance of the pen. Not such a fan of the hidden reservoir, a pain to clean.

Agree with you sentiments about the chase however.

I have been blessed with some very nice-writing pens. I like the fat ones.

Bexley Corona

Vintage Parker Duofold Sr.

Parker 51

Pelikan M1000

LAMY 2000

However, " Grail " has the connotation of " find-of-a-lifetime ". I aint there, yet.

I hope, someday, to find a Parker Trench Pen.

We do have similar tastes. I don't have a corona nor the parkers but I do have a Magnum 2. Very nice writer.

I guess the question can be framed as :

"Have you found a pen whose writing qualities (nib, filling system, balance, weight) leave not much to be desired, looks or prestige aside?"

My favorite current pen is Pilot Custom 845. It is perfectly balanced and ideal size (M800 like).

My grail is to buy one a Namiki Emperor or Sailor KOP

I think of my FPs as my children.

I'd love a Pilot Bamboo. Those just don't seem to be turning up anywhere since Pilot stopped making them.

IIRC......Pen Boutique just got Red and Black Bamboo in......looks like Medium nib only.......Good luck!!

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!