Monteverde Prima Vs Conklin Duragraph?

FireDingo20

Hi, I'm new to this forum :). So I own two fountain pens-a Lamy Safari and the Lamy Al-Star blue-green (2014 special edition I think). I've recently been saving up (well, I've agreed to buy myself a fountain pen that is up to $60 if I go through with an operation). I've been looking at some reviews for these two pens, and apparently there's been some quality issues with them? How common is this? How do these compare in writing, as they look very similar? Thanks! :D

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thunderpants

• erpe

• OCArt

• cobalt

I would not recommend either of these brands. Quality is sketchy at best.

At that price point you would be better going with another Lamy like the Studio or maybe an Aurora Ipsilon. Infinitely better pens.

I have a Conklin Duragraph and I picked up some model Monteverde used from Amazon. I like the Conklin more, but I can't vocalize why. Both have 1.1 stubs, a nib size that i like.

I also have a Lamy Studio and I use it much, much more. Even though I use the same steel nibs as the Safari it feels and writes like a much nicer pen--certainly a pen you should consider.

If you can save up a bit more a vintage Pelikan 140 would be my first choice. A nice flexible nib and a piston filler.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I just received a Prima about two weeks ago and have been using it quite a bit. There are no quality issues for me. Compared with the already mentioned pens, I would prefer the Prima over the Safari's (I have a regular and the Al-star) anytime, the Lamy Studio is nice but it's quite a boring office pen. I don't have the Conklin yet but will get one as soon as they are available on the European market.

In the $60 range are also some Pilot's and Kaweco's, all preferable over the Lamy. Don't limit yourself too much ;)

I have the Conklin you mention, bought recently in London, UK. Quality is good and the nib writes well on Clairefontaine paper with note-taking in client meetings for hours of steady writing. It is also forgiving on cartridge paper. For me it has proved a production pen. No complaints, apart from minor design issues -- why did they put white lettering on the end...., tacky. I blacked out the date, a bit silly actually and I think cheapened the design. Can't comment on the other you're looking at but I had considered it but didn't like the aesthetics.

I have also used Lamy Safari's for years for production writing and they stand up well to sustained use across various paper types.

That both take cartridges and converters is a plus when you run out in mid word.

Neither, though, has sufficiently flexible nibs to allow you to have expressive writing. For that you'll need to explore other options, such as an old and authentic pen with flexible nib.

As you're based in the UK, there are some very good dealers here with new and used pens that would fit into your budget and perhaps give you more excitement. No need to buy from abroad, too.

My go-to pens though are older pens with flexible nibs.

p.s. 4 Oct 2015 is the pen show at Holiday Inn Bloomsbury if you're local and mobile you could test ride some nibs.

...be like the ocean...

• 2 months later...

Conklin and Monteverde are both owned/distributed by Yafa. I have a Conklin Duragraph and a Monteverde Impressa, both with fine nibs. They are wet and smooth, which many people prefer. The only quality issues of which I am aware pertain to the finish on the Impressa flaking. Both pens seem fairly well built to me. YMMV.

I've got a few Monteverdes and they're all fantastic. My Conklin Duragraph experience, on the other hand, has been very frustrating - I bought three and all have very shabby threading on the caps. I was really looking forward to getting one but I now regret wasting my time with them. Also, I don't find the acrylic patterns anywhere near as attractive as the swirls on the various Primas. The Prima is a really solid pen which I don't regret buying. (Twice - Orange tiger or whatever it's called and green. If I could find a cheap turquoise....)

There's another Monteverde you don't mention which is my absolute favourite. I have an Intima in glacier blue. The design is fantastic. Less chrome than the Prima, perhaps less ideal for posting (theoretically you could whack the cap on so hard it cracks) but it's absolutely stunning to look at and writes beautifully. If I could only keep one of my Yafa brand pens, that's the one I would pick.

I have the Conklin Duragraph with a 1.1 stub nib. It has been a great pen. It is built quite well, and is not too heavy.

I have owned Monteverde pens in the past, and have found them to be of a lesser quality. In fact, the last two the I purchased were defective. I returned them.

Another great pen in your price range is the Faber Castell Loom. I have two and have been impressed with both. I can also recommend the Lamy Studio which is just a little more. Lamy is a great pen for the price.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

There's another Monteverde you don't mention which is my absolute favourite. I have an Intima in glacier blue. The design is fantastic. Less chrome than the Prima, perhaps less ideal for posting (theoretically you could whack the cap on so hard it cracks) but it's absolutely stunning to look at and writes beautifully. If I could only keep one of my Yafa brand pens, that's the one I would pick.

I have (and love) the Intima in neon pink with a broad nib. It writes as good as it looks. I smile every time I pick it up.

I have (and love) the Intima in neon pink with a broad nib. It writes as good as it looks. I smile every time I pick it up.

I am seriously considering getting the pink... or the green... or the volcano gray... I am trying to move away from Monteverdes as I have more than anyone actually needs, but on a good day they are gorgeous pens and very hard to ignore!

Another great pen in your price range is the Faber Castell Loom. I have two and have been impressed with both. I can also recommend the Lamy Studio which is just a little more. Lamy is a great pen for the price.

Ooh, this is one I need to try.