Hero 100 nib...

bgray

I've googled around, and found conflicting answers. 14k gold or no?

I just received this pen, and I gotta say, I'm duly impressed.

I was expecting a cheapo to play with, but this pen writes very well so far.

The overall construction is obviously not top notch, but based on the nib alone, I love the pen.

Well worth the bucks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• kissing

• French

• superfly

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean the overall construction is not nice :o ?

It may actually be better than a lot of the other modern fountain pens on the western market that cost well over 3 times the cost of a Hero 100 ;)

There is no pen made nowadays that come as close to the legendary "Aerometric" filling system as the Hero 100 does.

(But I do admit, Hero 100s, being from China, may have quality control flaws, though mine has been excellent so far :) )

What do you mean the overall construction is not nice :o ?

It may actually be better than a lot of the other modern fountain pens on the western market that cost well over 3 times the cost of a Hero 100 ;)

There is no pen made nowadays that come as close to the legendary "Aerometric" filling system as the Hero 100 does.

(But I do admit, Hero 100s, being from China, may have quality control flaws, though mine has been excellent so far :) )

Yeah, ya know I think that you are right, now that I think more and take a closer look. I guess that I was looking for some flaw with this relatively cheap pen....maybe trying to justify the expense of my pricier pens, that are just as good, or perhaps worse :blush:

Hero 100's do have a 14K gold nib, truly amazing at the price point. When I got my first Hero 100, I was impressed, so impressed I decided to start collecting its inspiration, the Parker "51". Does the Hero meet Parker's fit and finish standard? No, but it comes close. Does the Hero 100 write well? Absolutely. Do I have a Hero 100 that is a regular carry? Yes.

For Christmas 2006 my kids gave me a Hero 100 flighter. The pen looks great and has been the sole resident of one slot of my 2 slot Piquadro case since then. It gives both of my children a kick when I pull out the pen case and ask them which pen to use for some paperwork. They love to pick "the one we gave you for Christmas." It makes me happy knowing they are jazzed about me always carrying the pen they gave me, I like letting them know I appreciate the gift.

I guess like Kissing and thegreenmanedlion, I happened to get a good one, but I'll take my luck and enjoy using the pen. As an added bonus, I fly a lot for my job, and the Hero 100 has never given me even a hint of trouble about flying. (of course, now that I write that down, I'll have a pocket full of Noodler's Red Black when I get to San Francisco :doh:

French

I didn't mean to bulldoze your opinion with mine :blush: Sorry if I seemed a li'l dogmatic up there :doh:

But it is true that in fountain pens - expensive does not necessarily mean better :)

What a wonderfully civil forum we belong to (not sarcasm).

I didn't take your response as being dogmatic at all. I took your comment kindly...it made me think twice about less expensive pens, and I appreciate it.

Very refreshing that you even bothered to say something about the possibility of being assertive with your response. I go to lots of woodworking and penturning forums, and some of them drive me crazy.

There seems to always be 5-6 people with all the knowledge who purposefully make new people feel like chumps for asking basic questions. Either that, or they are just simply malicious.

Pretty unfortunate, because emails and forums can really be a poor medium for expressing intent and emotion. Someone can type something, and the intent can be totally missed. If people would take the effort to be more open and take your lead, internet forums can be a much happier place.

That being said, I really haven't seen any of that kind of stuff here...(sighs happily)

I know that your response wasn't a real big deal, but it's just refreshing.

Thanks, Kissing. Have a great day.