Pilot Vs Pelikan For A Daily Carry

sirach

My Pilot VP M became my daily carry. Obviously it has push button convenience, but it also writes very, very, well. About two months ago I bought a Pilot VP F and that has become my daily carry because the finer line bleeds less on the cheap paper that I encounter in the course of my day. If a carpet of Rhodia were rolled out before me, I'd carry the M.

My only Pelikan, an M800 F, is my most perfect pen. But the Pilot VP is "quicker on the draw". Despite the M800's perfection, I often write with cheaper pens at my desk because I've been tinkering with them and like to check my work. The M800 is too perfect to tinker with. I don't dare.

The original poster signs documents in black ink. I've encountered documents with instructions to sign in blue. I think it's an effort to prevent photocopied signatures.

Alan

Edited by Precise

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirach

• Precise

• prf5

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

I think many of my own feeling have been echoed here. I have looked at buying a VP for years, but every time I pick one up, it just doesn't do it for me. I don't know if it is the placement of the clip. or something else.

What I really want is a workhorse pen.... which sounds like the Pelikan M205.

I sign important documents and purchase orders in Blue or Green. Student work, agendas, discipline cards, etc I sign in whatever color is not used yet... so when they use blue, I use black. In the day of color copiers/scanners I really feel comfortable using whatever color I want, if someone really wants to scan and copy, they are going to do it whether my signature is in blue or black.

Edited by sirach

Something's fishy about that first picture.... ;)

The M205 is great, though if you're o.k with gold appointments the vintage 400 is even better (more ink capacity, more characterful nibs....).

Good luck!

I've got both, and as an EDC, I'd recommend the VP. For me, the constant screwing and unscrewing of the Pelikan cap makes it less than ideal for the quick draw needs. If I'm sitting down to write at length, the Pelikan wins hands-down every time, but for brief interludes of writing where convenience is the key factor, nothing beats the VP for me.

I would pick the Pelikan - cause it's my favourite brand :P

Just kidding - I would pick Pelikan because it holds more ink (I don't like to refill my pen every day!)! Plus, since it holds more ink, it fits in with your criterion of using black on a regular basis.

Yes, it takes more time to remove the cap on the Pelikan, but not much more time.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I'm sure I disagree with many others, but I don't like the VP look. I prefer the more classic styling of the Pelikan and would choose it every time. :)

My next choice for daily carry after the Pilot VP would be a pen with a push-pull cap or very fast threads. I've posted elsewhere the number of turns to open or close. Most of my quality pens require one turn. A few take only one-half turn.

I would choose the Pelikan - only because 1) I don't own a VP 2) I do own a Pelikan (and it is one of two that is in my pocket most days - the other is a TWSBI 580)

I am not one for heavier pens. I have one at 30 grams that gets used regularly, but everything else is lighter.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

As I previously said, I like push caps. I also like light weight for carry. I bought a Franklin-Christoph model 20 because it weighs 23 grams and has a push cap. But the cap didn't "click" or "snap" and opened when it shouldn't have. So I returned it. To bad, because they are very nice people.

I also bought a Lamy Safari because it's light weight (22g full) and has a snap cap. It's also good for daily carry. I rotated the nib. See

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/193310-lamy-safari-grip-problem/?p=3462987

With the rotated nib it is super smooth. It also has an O-ring cap seal, so I'll bet it resists dry-out. It's a great pen!

Edited by Precise

I have both a Pilot Decimo (the lighter, thinner version of the VP) and a Pelikan M205. Love them both. They absolutely are apples to oranges, so it might be hard to decide...maybe just get both, lol.

Also, yes the converter for the Pilot is tiny, but I've been using a cartridge refilled with Asa-Gao and it works great. I've refilled it 5 or 6 times I guess and it still seals nicely and hasn't leaked.

Perhaps VP for the convenience factor?

Unless of course you don't mind having to uncap and deal the the cap in the other hand while writing.

And yes! VP is a serious pen!

+1

I've been using both as my EDC for my college classes. In terms of needing a pen right there and now or for long note taking sessions, I prefer a Pilot VP over my Pelikan M205. placing the cap on and off makes me lose some time when I need to take notes right here and now. The click system for the VP just makes it faster in general. My Pilot VP is scratched and beat up but it hasn't broke yet. The tines were even sprung once due to my stupidity on a train and I was able to fix that issue. I personally think the Pelikan M205 is a more precious item to me than my Pilot VP.

As for filling mechanisms, a piston filler is just plain better than a cartridge converter. Holds more ink. In my Pilot VP, I ended up not using the Con-50 converter due to the incredibly low ink it holds and just syringe filled a spare cartridge and placed in my VP. Holds a ton more ink and it has lasted me a while now.

For writing experience, I enjoy the smooth as butter nib on my Pelikan M205. But the Fine line on my Pilot VP works better on cheap paper than the Fine/Medium nib on my Pelikan.

Those who hurt me were not only someone else,

but also those who pretended not to notice. It was my friend.

Pelikan M200s (and a dome-top M150) have been my "daily carry" pens for decades, ever since I got fed up with leaky Osmiroids.

--

James H. H. Lampert

Professional Dilettante

Posted Image was once a bottle of ink

Inky, Dinky, Thinky, Inky,

Blacky minky, Bottle of ink! -- Edward Lear

I have a Pelikan P200 and a Namiki Vanishing Point, and I carry both of them around for regular use. The VP offers some convenience in not having a cap to deal with, as long as the position of the clip doesn't bother you (it never really did for me, but I've read that some people hate it). An advantage of the P200, which I understand is just the cartridge/converter version of Pelikan's 200 series, is that the long cartridges I use (Pelikan Edelstein) last quite a long time. I realize the M205 might be different in that respect though. Also, the P200 is borderline too short for me -- I can use it unposted, but it's generally more comfortable for me posted. Either pen would probably be a good choice for a daily carry. I think it's mainly down to personal preference. Good luck with your decision!

Some great perspectives here to consider about BOTH pens...

I own both, and enjoy them both for different reasons. When I'm in meetings and need the convenience of the one-hand click button fountain pen, I use the VP. For anything else, I reach for my Pelikans.

It would be quite easy for you to find a used M215 for around the same price as the VP, if not cheaper. Since it has a metal barrel, it is far superior in durability and heft (if you like those things) and adds an extra level of durability. My first Pelikan was the M215 - it made me a Pelikan fan for life and sparked my interest in their larger pens (the M800 is my all-time favorite pen).

The VP and M2xx are excellent pens. If I HAD to choose between the two, I'd go with the Pelikan every time.

With the VP there is the convenience thing, and if you want a fine line Pilot nibs will get you there far better than Pelikan nibs. There is a certain elegance of feel to the fine, soft VP nibs. But the VP is considerably heavier, and will deform your jacket or shirt line when clipped into a pocket. You will need a regular regimen for refilling it (although a fine nib reduces the capacity problem greatly.) And some people just don't like the rapidly tapering grip with a clip in the middle of it. I don't think you get used to it: it bothers you or it doesn't.

If your application were taking lecture notes--little bursts of writing during an extended period--I would suggest the VP anyway. But for the application you describe, I think you might be happier with the Pelikan. Those steel nibs are wonderful, and uncapping can become just part of the gesture of pulling out the pen--a miniature bit of ceremony.

ron

I just ordered a pen!

I can't get over the clip on the pilot. It is in the way.

I am used to the capping and un-capping of pens, I have been using Fountain Pens exclusively for about 17 years.

I want large in capacity.

I bought a Black and Silver Pelikan 205 with a Medium nib.

Thank you all for the great responses! This really is a great community, even if you ARE all enablers :-)

Edited by sirach

I think you made the right choice. I have a vp and an m400 (same size as m200), and even though the vp is very useful and had a great nib the pelikan sees far more daily use, and having tried those steel nibs they put on them I came away impressed.

"Oh deer."

I don't own either of the two you mentioned in post #1, but the VP just doesn't ring my chime cosmetically. I think you made the right choice with the Pelikan. Just today I made a deal to purchase my first Pelikan, a vintage 140. It will be a gift, but I'll get to check it out and learn something about Pelikans to go with my beginner acquaintaince with Parkers. And following up on an earlier poster's recommendation for italic nibs, I really like the Parker 75 fine italic nib. So much I sought out a broad italic to be its companion. Nice nibs, nice pens, presently EDC and reliable writers for me.

But for pizzazz, style, and all that jazz, a little '30s Parker Debutante button-fill with a tiny bit of flex in its F nib makes a lovely black-inked signature reliably with very little weight in hand or pocket (it fits between the two 75s in my pocket). The little bit of flex in the tines provides a little bit of flair for my hand. I've read it can be had in Pelikans, too. I don't know enough to say whether it's the rule or the exception. I'll bet something like that would be great for a grading pen -- so light it would provoke little to no hand fatigue, enough ink to do the job although the Pelikan might put it to shame for capacity. Someday I'll make that comparison myself.