Pilot Prera

KCat

Another one of those pens that make me think "If only I liked small pens..."but a P51 is about the smallest I want to go.

Very nice review though...

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• artaddict

• Taki

• liapuyat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Prera nib and feed is the same as that on the 78G - the difference in the stamp is because the Prera is newer, I think.

I find the Prera nib to be stiffer than the 78G nibs, probably because of the Rhodium plating, and my Prera nib is drier/finer than all four 78G F nibs I have. The Prera is an excellent XXF.

The Prera is slightly heavier than the M400 White Honey, and also slightly shorter - 5mm or so. The Prera is about 15mm shorter than the 78G.

I appreciate your saving me the $36 to Jpens. I have an M100, and it is really too short for me to write with comfortably, and seldom used. I think dryer would be a problem for me. Finer I could handle, as I have one needle point pen with a nail nib. But one of the things I really like about the 78Gs I have is that the nibs a a little soft, with just a hint of flex.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

The nib on this looks similar to that on an unknown model Pilot eyedropper I picked up recently. Looks something like the 78G, except it has a metal cap instead of a plastic one. Was really cheap too, the equivilent of US$5, but really buttery.

Looking to exchange ink samples! Available: Noodler's Bulletproof Black, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,call me stupid...

When I received my Prera,I was very happy with it:smooth ,fine lines.But I decided to change the cartrige with the converter and I switched to Pelikan brilliant black ink.The pen started to give dry,scratchy lines...at least in comparison with my black Pilot VP F. Is it the ink? Is it the pen?Is it the paper I use? Is it me? :headsmack:

What ink should I use?

Besides all this,the Prera is a small pen, with a small grip section.The only way I can write more than 5 minutes with is with the cap on (posted I think is the correct term).The nice thing about writing like this is that the nib gets a little flex.

Anyway,although I've been writing with fountain pens since I was seven,it is only now that I am realizing what a true pen is ,how it should write,the type of nib that I need,the type of ink and paper.

I am hoping that my problems with my Prera are going to stop as soon as I change the ink.

NO

Ok,call me stupid...

When I received my Prera,I was very happy with it:smooth ,fine lines.But I decided to change the cartrige with the converter and I switched to Pelikan brilliant black ink.The pen started to give dry,scratchy lines...at least in comparison with my black Pilot VP F. Is it the ink? Is it the pen?Is it the paper I use? Is it me? :headsmack:

probably the ink. I haven't used Pelikan black but I found Pelikan blue-black to be extremely dry-writing. So it wouldn't surprise me if other Pelikan inks were similarly stingy.

Many inks provided better flow and lubrication than Pelikan - Waterman, Noodler's, Private Reserve, Diamine.

Also - I noticed that the nib on my Prera is so fine that it sometimes picks up paper fibres more readily than broader nibs. Check it under a loupe/magnifier to make sure there are no fibres between the tines or that the flexibility you've taken advantage of (this is a slightly springy nib) hasn't resulted in misalignment.

Switching inks first is always the easiest diagnostic tool for a dry pen. Flushing it well before filling with the new ink could be important. If you flush, give it time to dry or push through fresh ink so that you aren't thrown off by water remaining in the feed that might give the impression of a writing problem.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Have to agree with the majority, great review! I'm quite happy I found this online forum as I'm just getting into Fountain Pens and am happy to see there are others with the same mindset as myself. Thanks to your review I've just ordered this pen (Royal Blue) for myself (36 dollars, no tax, free shipping) and I hope it'll be a nice addition to my slowly growing collection. The pictures were excellent and helped me decide to get the pen as I'm looking for one that writes in a very fine line.

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

Ok,call me stupid...

probably the ink. I haven't used Pelikan black but I found Pelikan blue-black to be extremely dry-writing. So it wouldn't surprise me if other Pelikan inks were similarly stingy.

Many inks provided better flow and lubrication than Pelikan - Waterman, Noodler's, Private Reserve, Diamine.

Also - I noticed that the nib on my Prera is so fine that it sometimes picks up paper fibres more readily than broader nibs. Check it under a loupe/magnifier to make sure there are no fibres between the tines or that the flexibility you've taken advantage of (this is a slightly springy nib) hasn't resulted in misalignment.

Switching inks first is always the easiest diagnostic tool for a dry pen. Flushing it well before filling with the new ink could be important. If you flush, give it time to dry or push through fresh ink so that you aren't thrown off by water remaining in the feed that might give the impression of a writing problem.

I tried Parker's Quink blue ink.A little bit of an improvement.Checked the nib for fibres as well.Nothing there.The tines are aligned.Probably it writes extremely smooth for a japanese fine,but I guess I have high standards after using pens such as Sailor Professional Gear,Pelikan 405,Lamy 2000 and Pilot VP.

So,"I hate to say it,I hate to say it...but it's probably me."

Thank you for your advice.

NO

Ok,call me stupid...

I tried Parker's Quink blue ink.A little bit of an improvement.Checked the nib for fibres as well.Nothing there.The tines are aligned.Probably it writes extremely smooth for a japanese fine,but I guess I have high standards after using pens such as Sailor Professional Gear,Pelikan 405,Lamy 2000 and Pilot VP.

Another possibility is that the tines are too close together. If you floss the tines, or use a thin sheet of mylar to open them up just a hair, it might solve your problem. I have a Pilot 78G F in black, which was a dry scratchy writer, until Danny Fudge at the Dallas Pen Show last month opened up the tines a hair with a mylar sheet. Now it writes just like my green 78G F. When I looked at the black one's nib prior to adjustment, the tines did look awfully close together, closer than those on the green one. Now they look identical under a 20X loupe, and write beautifully. What I call a Goldilocks nib. Not too wet, not too dry, not too smooth, not too toothy, not too fine, not too broad, but just right.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Ok,call me stupid...

Another possibility is that the tines are too close together. If you floss the tines, or use a thin sheet of mylar to open them up just a hair, it might solve your problem. I have a Pilot 78G F in black, which was a dry scratchy writer, until Danny Fudge at the Dallas Pen Show last month opened up the tines a hair with a mylar sheet. Now it writes just like my green 78G F. When I looked at the black one's nib prior to adjustment, the tines did look awfully close together, closer than those on the green one. Now they look identical under a 20X loupe, and write beautifully. What I call a Goldilocks nib. Not too wet, not too dry, not too smooth, not too toothy, not too fine, not too broad, but just right.

Donnie

Flossed the tines too.Improvement in wetness.But still the nib was toothy,so I did my very own version of the popular "brown paper bag trick".No paper bag though :thumbup:

Finally,this pen does what i expect from it: smooth,wet enough XF lines.Thank you all for your help! :thumbup:

NO

I'm rather glad that this thread came up, again. I received my Prera a few weeks ago and geez, do I love this pen! Just writing with it a few times and it felt like "home" to me. Thanks, KCat for writing the review that steered me toward this pen. This is the pen I reach for most of the time, writes right away, doesn't dry out quickly if I don't cap it. And if I do cap it I don't have to stop and unscrew it to use, again.

Only one wee, little bitty problem....now I want MORE of them, but of course, in a color that I like. I'm not a " medium blue" pen person and ivory is okay, but then I saw some pretty, pretty, light blue, pink and lime green Preras offered by Ujuku but only in a medium nib. :huh: AND, I'd like the con 50 converter, instead of the con 20. Will some one please offer this pen in some nice colors, with the nice converters, with a nice price (so I can afford more than one at a time?) and a finer nib than medium? Oh well, Christmas is coming and there still IS a Santa Claus, isn't there?

Cedar

I got my Prera today (Lime Green, F nib)! It came from the Ujuku Shop along with a delicious Pilot Legno 89s - lovely service from Mr Yamada as usual. :D

Hi Phthalo :)

I visited the Ujuku website, but couldn't find the Prera listed. Was it there before, or did you request it of Mr. Yamada? Also, how much did it cost?

Thanks and regards,

Jason

Edit: I didn't know about the eBay store of the same name. Found it there, and I just might order one when I get a Namiki Bamboo. Wish me luck!

Edited by alexanderino

Darn this place. I just had to go look- and now I am a proud owner of the pink M nib. I want to go back and by another one- either the light blue or gray.

AH HA!!! I just saw the Prera offered. Hehehehehehe!!! Santa Claus time!

I think that TWO are in order this time around. I think that an ivory and pink would like nice with my gray one or lime green and pink with gray would make a nice trio...but that pretty light blue one. :-( To many pens. Too little time. Too little moolah!

Cedar

Now I only have to choose which one to get :hmm1: :D
take two or three ... or more.

I was not able to make a decision and just ordered from Mr. Tadashi two preras: straight gray and ivory, both with medium nib.

And thank you for arranging that ujuku shop offer preras again :thumbup:

take two or three ... or more.

I was not able to make a decision and just ordered from Mr. Tadashi two preras: straight gray and ivory, both with medium nib.

And thank you for arranging that ujuku shop offer preras again :thumbup:

Haha, you’re welcome :meow: I’m glad you’re getting into the spirit of Preras. I chose the Slate Grey for the moment. Some of the others will make it onto my next order, and that won’t be too long now :P

About an hour ago, I brought home the Prera [and the Pilot Bamboo]. It's a superb writer. No skips, glides as if it's on silk, and feels best balanced with the cap posted.

Very nicely made pen and excellent value for money. Will write a review when time permits [and once I'm over the shock of how brilliant the Bamboo is :blush: ].

Edited by alexanderino

Only one wee, little bitty problem....now I want MORE of them, but of course, in a color that I like. I'm not a " medium blue" pen person and ivory is okay, but then I saw some pretty, pretty, light blue, pink and lime green Preras offered by Ujuku but only in a medium nib. :huh: AND, I'd like the con 50 converter, instead of the con 20. Will some one please offer this pen in some nice colors, with the nice converters, with a nice price (so I can afford more than one at a time?) and a finer nib than medium? Oh well, Christmas is coming and there still IS a Santa Claus, isn't there?

Cedar

I looked at jpens this a.m. and saw the Prera with a fine nib. Not the whole color range but saw the lime green, blue, and gray.

http://www.jpens.com/index.php?cPath=44_107

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Ujuku now seems to stock the entire range with fine nibs.

A quick update: I noticed my Prera's flow is rather stunted, and it skips when making a right-to-left downstroke. It's worse when writing words. Looks like a rare case of a faulty Pilot nib :(

A quick update: I noticed my Prera's flow is rather stunted, and it skips when making a right-to-left downstroke. It's worse when writing words. Looks like a rare case of a faulty Pilot nib :(

What ink are you using? Have you tried rinsing it? Prera nib and feed pull out easily so you might want to give it a good cleaning.