Pilot Prera

KCat

The Preras do have a tendency to dry out a bit, but for me it's never translated into a hard starter. I do notice though that my inks get darker over time due to evaporative loss.

I've got one of the new Brown Prera and I've not had a problem with it being a hard starter or it evaporating in the least. I actually find it a rather wet and smooth writer for being such a fine nib (writes like an extra fine to me). I've used Noodler's Dragon's Napalm, Diamine Monaco Red, and Iroshizuku Yama-Budo. The pen hasn't skipped a beat.

Those of you who find it dry might try widening the nib slit just a touch using a thin blade, 35mm film or similar.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• artaddict

• Taki

• liapuyat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My brown Prera also has no problem starting. It is a F nib. I haven't noticed any evaporation issue. It is inked with Noodler's bulletproof black ink.

• 2 weeks later...

Other Particulars:

The Prera uses cartridges. I haven't tried either of the Pilot converters in the pen but will do so and update on that. Edit: The Piston converter does fit. I assume the bladder converter will as well but have not checked it.

(edit: typos)

KCat, thank you for the excellent review! (I know you have written this quite awhile ago, but nonetheless its still of value.) I have been considering this pen as another (although unneeded) purchase, so I was glad to find it in the Fountain Pen Reviews. I prefer fine points and it was good to learn that Pilot's Prera's nibs are smooth, good writers straight from the box. I have seen these pens on Ebay going fairly cheaply, but of course one must note the shipping charges (which at times are more than the cost of the item!).

Again thank you for taking the time to review this nice little pen - and thanks for enflaming my desire even more. I just want to add that the converter with the piston type fill mechanism, (Con-50?). is what I most definitely would rather have, (not fond of the bladder style at all, and I don't want to use cartirges either).

Lou

• 3 months later...

Last week I received an Ash Grey Prera. When I opened it, I was a little disappointed by the length. It was my own fault, I had not checked before I purchased online. I was looking for something a little more substantial than the 78G. The Prera is 12cm and the 78G is 13.5cm.

However, in use the F nib really shines and the pen is still usable for me with the cap posted. It also feel more solid than the 78G

Edited by vans4444

• 5 months later...

Thanks for such a great review and replies :thumbup:

I have ordered a Clear Body Fine from JetPens and am anxiously awaiting the mail person :rolleyes:

If I like this pen as much as the reviews suggest then I will order the light blue robin's egg blue solid color asap... :meow:

I am also curious about the Pilot Custom Heritage 92 Piston fill....I have never used this type of filling system before..

Inked

Sailor Sapporo MF Rhodium nib by John Mottishaw - Noodler's Heart of Darkness
- Ink changes often

KCat, great review! You got the same color I did, but mine has an M nib.

I love the finish and feel of this pen, but alas, I can't get it to write well.

After struggling through part of a black Pilot cart, I switched it to my cheaper 78G (B/stub).

I would love to use this pen more often. It's one of the prettiest I own. I had even considered buying a couple more of those purdy colors.

And yes, I've soaked it, et cetera. Maybe it just needs a wetter ink. I believe Pilot black may write dry.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I really like how my Pilot 78G M nib pens write.

Is the Prera all that different than the 78G, other than being a bit shorter and possibly a bit wider?

I do like the look of the Prera and it keeps showing up on my "next pen" radar, sort of taunting me :)

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

• 1 month later...

My first Prera was the hot Pink one, in F. I loved it so much I later got one in happy Yellow, also in F. I use a CON-50 converter in the pink one, and a CON-20 in the yellow one. I have no problems with either converter. They're easy to clean and a pleasure to write with. I like using them for note-taking and for highlighting (underlining, using bright ink)/marginalia. (Of course I use my 78G's for the same purposes, but the colors of my Preras are so cheery they get used pretty often...)

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

• 2 years later...

The Prera is now available with a Calligraphy Medium nib at JetPens. Previously this pen was only available with a F and a M nib.

The Prera can be had on sale for $35.00 U.S. at stationeryart.com and the solid colors $25. Shipping is $5. Ships from Hong Kong. Payment is PayPal.

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Prera-Clear-Body-Fountain-Pen-Calligraphy-Medium-Nib-Clear-Black-Accent/pd/10718

Edited by thag

-----------------------------------

I am but a simple caveman

• 1 year later...

I just got this exact pen and it feels pretty nice.

I really like the ivory finish, it looks so elegant and goes well with any ink color. I'm looking forward to using it with Asa-gao ink!

I was wondering if your Prera's have a an easily removable nib and feed. I thought my 78G was too easy (more than I would desire) to remove, but the Prera is even easier. i tried the nib and feed from the 78G in the Prera and it wouldn't hold. It is a bit strange, I hope it doesn't get looser with time.

• 9 months later...

Bought the Orange Demonstrator, waiting for it to reach me. I guess I will buy the Noodler's Apache Sunset or Pilot Burnt orange to go with it. Any advice which one is better ink to go with it?

Bought the Orange Demonstrator, waiting for it to reach me. I guess I will buy the Noodler's Apache Sunset or Pilot Burnt orange to go with it. Any advice which one is better ink to go with it?

Of the two I prefer the Pilot ink. Also, how about CultPens (UK) Deep Dark Orange as an alternative?

Enjoy your Prera. Really great, under-appreciated pens. I love all mine, especially my demonstrators with the "solid" coloured ends & the 2 from Oeste (West Japan Stationers' Circle).

Verba volant, scripta manent

• 1 year later...

I got a Prera from a friend who had chosen to let go of part of her pen collection, and it's a really fantastic pen. I gravitate toward stubs, but I've been writing away cheerfully with the Prera fine for the past few days. I'm already thinking of picking up a Prera in a medium nib, and I've got a Plumix (which I really didn't like the shape of) that's going to donate its italic nib to the Prera cause.

It's weird to admit, but the way the cap closes really impressed me. It's ... oddly refined, I guess you could say. Not the stiff *clack* you get with a lot of pens, but a gentle increase in pressure until there's a quiet but firm *click*. It somehow contrives to make other pens feel cheap when I close them.

I got a Prera from a friend who had chosen to let go of part of her pen collection, and it's a really fantastic pen. I gravitate toward stubs, but I've been writing away cheerfully with the Prera fine for the past few days. I'm already thinking of picking up a Prera in a medium nib, and I've got a Plumix (which I really didn't like the shape of) that's going to donate its italic nib to the Prera cause.

It's weird to admit, but the way the cap closes really impressed me. It's ... oddly refined, I guess you could say. Not the stiff *clack* you get with a lot of pens, but a gentle increase in pressure until there's a quiet but firm *click*. It somehow contrives to make other pens feel cheap when I close them.

A decade of Prera love in one thread! Wonderful. I have one with a factory stub and really like it. It is a bit narrower than a 1.1 and perfect for daily writing. Edited by displacermoose

Yet another Sarah.

A decade of Prera love in one thread! Wonderful. I have one with a factory stub and really like it. It is a bit narrower than a 1.1 and perfect for daily writing.

I'm going to swap the stub from my Plumix onto my Prera as part of the next flush'n'fill.