Review - Writers Edition, Friedrich Schiller Fountain Pen

Sharookh

Writers Edition - FRIEDRICH SCHILLER

Launch - 2000

I guess I was lucky to have located a brand new, old stock - Friedrich Schiller fountain pen after 15 years of its manufacture! The closest I'd got to it other than pictures in Montblanc's catalogue was Amir's (Goodguy) super review. The search for this pen took me on a journey from pen suppliers, to eBay, to Amazon and finally to where it rightly belonged - a MontBlanc boutique. In this case, in Dubai! At the time, I was informed it was the only remaining pen in the eastern gulf area. Being a 'fine' nib user my only disappointment was discovering the pen came with a 'broad' nib. But then beggars can't be choosers, and I for one was not going to let this opportunity pass.

The pen came with all its papers, the book-box, it's outer packaging with relevant serial numbers and barcode. 15 years had taken its toll on the packaging, having been shifted from perhaps one store to another and one shelf to the next in the boutique store rooms. But once the box was slipped out of its outer sleeve and opened, I couldn't help being mesmerised by the amber cap. I was sold. This is a beautiful, beautiful pen...!

The Schiller, to touch, wreaks of quality. It's light when you lift it, smooth to uncap, and its nib with a gorgeous cross-bow imprinted into it just gleams when you rotate the pen in your hand. The clip is stunning, and classic in design. On the underside of it, I think I can read -'GERMANY Pix'. There is a three-ring gold plated collar with two tiny gold plated rivets attaching the clip to the rest of the domed cap which reveals the number of the pen: xxxxx/18000 inscribed on the left of the clip. On the right side of the clip is Schillers' signature, finely inscribed and filled in gold ( or at least that's what it looks like). A large Montblanc snow cap sits prominently on the top, very reminiscent of the early twentieth century domed cap designs. The bottom of the Amber portion of the cap is separated from the black chamfered end by another thin gold plated ring offering an elegant contrast. It appears that a lot is happening with the cap design, but when you see it all put together, the cap is stunning. And of course, in my opinion the design of the pen is its cap!!

The barrel itself is rather understated, separated from the piston end by two prominent gold ridged rings, which are impeccably finished. This is the only decoration which adorns the barrel, in a way discreetly complimenting the writing end which houses the gold nib. The piston is relatively stiff to start up but then smoothens out as you turn it to empty and fill the barrel. But I guess this will open out for sure. The writing end of the barrel has a ridged lip, so if you hold the pen low (I don't), your fingers rest comfortably. The barrel in black is polished to a superb high gloss, finishes of the design, which in a way appears almost minimalistic when compared to the decorated specimens in the POA and other WE ranges. When posted ( I don't - for the exception of my 100 years Anniversary), the pen looks simply stunning and somehow appears to right smoother...... But I love holding the cap and running my fingers along it in my left hand!

How is it to write? I've inked the pen with 'Leonardo' which I felt matched well with the overall avatar of the pen. And frankly, what a gorgeous ink it is!! As I mentioned earlier, I am a 'fine' nib user and this pen came in an 18k 'broad' nib. Although I easily adjust to 'medium' nibs, the 'broad' nib has taken me some time to get used to. For starters, my writing (which is bad anyway) looks different to normal. Perhaps with the ink flow being fuller, I need to make subtle changes to my writing so it's readable. But I'm getting there. I normally angle the pen slightly to the left, when I write. Unfortunately, the nib needs to be written with the pen straight for a super smooth writing experience. So more adjustment needs to be made here in my writing methods! In any case, if it becomes tedious, I might just consider getting it ground to a 'left oblique' by John Mottishaw or another reputed nib meister. But the thought of sending it across and the time it takes, appears daunting. So it's more a case of - 'I'll just wait and see how I adjust'. The nib is a bit squarish and not as elegant as the nib on my 146, but then I guess it's a question of taste. Otherwise, it's an excellent writing experience.

The pen in size is very comfortable. It's neither too large nor too small. But it's considerably smaller in length when capped, compared to a 146. It's identical to a 146 in length when uncapped and marginally shorter than the Brahms.

So how do I summarise?

This pen oozes class. I love showing it off as the design is simply gorgeous. It has a classic look, the domed cap gives it good heft and of course discerning people have a tendency of commenting on the clip design. Amongst all my pens, the Schiller definitely stands out, without a doubt. Sometimes I feel that when you want something, it's the chase that's the exciting part! But here, it's the final reward that more than makes up for all the effort in trying to locate it. Like all WE pens, it's expensive, but for a fountain pen lover, worth it!

Great pen, super design, and I love it!

'Nuff said!!!

post-124546-0-28719900-1443275796_thumb.jpg

post-124546-0-23754600-1443275964_thumb.jpg

post-124546-0-48343800-1443275982_thumb.jpg

post-124546-0-27416200-1443276002_thumb.jpg

post-124546-0-96557400-1443276071_thumb.jpg

post-124546-0-77605900-1443276088_thumb.jpg

post-124546-0-06737100-1443276107_thumb.jpg

post-124546-0-85331800-1443276128_thumb.jpg

post-124546-0-67204300-1443276147_thumb.jpg

post-124546-0-37884100-1443276163_thumb.jpg

Best//Sharookh

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sharookh

• rube1

• Maine Vintner

• Mainecoon

Beautiful pictures, enjoy!

BTW, since it was purchased at an authorized MB seller, you are entitled to send it for a nib exchange, if they still have them in stock after 15 years. I recently exchanged my Faulkner nib bought NOS.

Edited by rube1

Excellent pictures. Well done on your find. :)

I always thought it a very beautiful pen, because I love the amber cap. The thing is that I never post any of my pens, and once that cap is off the pen, it just becomes another black Montblanc pen, albeit a beautiful black pen, but that was the reason that I persuaded myself to not buy it.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you share the same feelings for this pen.

@rube1 - thanks for the heads up. Let me check to see if they can do a nib exchange for me. Does this imply that I need to get it done through the boutique it was bought from only? Or would any MB boutique be obliged to carry out the exchange?

@rayoski1- it wasn't cheap......

@chrissy & @classics - the Amber cap is just gorgeous. Montblanc advertises the material is widely used during Schillers time. Hence the association with this pen. That was an interesting observation, I felt.......

Best//Sharookh

@rube1 - thanks for the heads up. Let me check to see if they can do a nib exchange for me. Does this imply that I need to get it done through the boutique it was bought from only? Or would any MB boutique be obliged to carry out the exchange?

Any MB boutique would be able to send it off to Hamburg for the switch

Thank you for this review. Very nice pictures as well. Cap and nib are beautifully made. The pen itself is the reason I didn't buy it; I don't really like black pens. But that cap ...

May you write with it with pleasure for a long time!

Happy Writing!, Mainecoon

Dreams are presentiments of what you are able to accomplish (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)

Great pen; my favorite WE. I purchased it new when it first became available and will never part with it. I agree with other posters that it's a simple black pen without the cap but that's what I love about it - simple, graceful, classic. Not overwrought like some later Montblanc WEs with which you can't write due to heft/bling.

Best,

John

@Mainecoon - as John mentions, although the black barrel is discreet and for the exception of the two gold rings as the only decoration, it is the cap that makes the pen.

@John - I quite agree and as I have mentioned in my review, this is one of the classiest WE pens, purely because it doesn't come with - as you describe it: 'bling'! But then again - many would argue that decoration and bling is the idea behind the Limited Edition pens............... worthy of being collected.

Although there are beauties like the Hemingway, which many consider the holy grail of WE pens, I feel pens such as the Schiller, Hemingway demand to be inked and used.

Best//Sharookh

I just sold one with an F last week. If I had a B it would have stayed in the rotation. It's is a classic looking pen still subtle enough to be used in business situations unposted.

Congrats on the find.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks folks...! Still getting used to the "B" nib. As the pen is in rotation haven't broken into it yet. Will have to keep it going for a week or so without rotating........!

Best//Sharookh

• 2 years later...

~ Sharookh:

This is one of the most enjoyable pen reviews that I've read.

Your style is comprehensive and fun!

The enthusiasm that you felt for the pen comes through.

Unlike lackluster, blasé posts, yours is effervescent.

Thank you for writing, photographing and posting this two years ago.

If I ever write another pen review, I hope that it will approach the quality of yours.

Tom K.

Thanks for the review! awesome find, I absolutely love the cap, that vintage look similar to the Heritage 1912 which I like a lot. Congratulations, enjoy it.

Cheers,

Luis A.

• 2 weeks later...