A Question For The Moderators.

Lorna Reed

I have been approached by a pen manufacturer/supplier who would like to send me a new model of pen to review on FPN in exchange for keeping the pen. They have stipulated that they would expect me to write an impartial review, stating what I like and don't like about the pen.

I don't know if this would be allowed under FPN rules, so am asking for clarification. I don't want to fall foul of the FPN rules and regulations. :unsure:

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• Lorna Reed

• TheGreatRoe

• DaveBj

If you check out my reviews, you'll find quite a few of the pens were provided to me on that basis (not all complimentary either!) - while other reviews are for pens I purchased with my own money. The "rules" of FPN permit this, as long as you make it clear whenever you're reviewing a "free" pen. I usually do so up-front, so there's no ambiguity from the outset.

If the moderators of thus forum have a contrary view, I'm also like to know - but I'm pretty sure you'll be ok, as long as you acknowledge the source of the pen, and try to ensure your review is indeed fair and impartial!

I review only those pens which I buy.. I never accept free pens...

Its like bribing...

I disagree. Bribery by its very nature is dishonest and underhanded. Openly acknowledging the source of a pen I believe avoids the worst of this. Being prepared to say negative things about pens that have been given to you, and not just the positive, and making sure you are clear about this with anyone who offers you a pen, is also important - the original poster was offered the pen for an impartial review, and I think that's fair. I've accepted the same offer on the past - mostly for low- to mid-priced pens (sub-$20),though a couple were pricier.

If you feel uncomfortable about reviewing a pen you haven't paid for, or are concerned you may not be able to be brutally honest, that's fine - better to say no than do something that doesn't feel right to you! But please don't use language like "bribery" to describe the practice, that sounds like an accusation - and it risks hurting people's feelings :bawl: .

Edited by Jamerelbe

Thanks Jamerelbe for your input on this. I hadn't thought of it as bribery in any way, as I know my review will be honest and impartial, and not at all swayed by the fact that I haven't bought the pen.

I will make it quite clear at the outset that the pen has been given me to test and review.

I just wanted clarification that I am not breaking any FPN rules by doing this.

Many thanks again. :thumbup:

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

I always felt wrong doing a review on something I had not purchased myself and through a normal retail channel. I did make an exception once when I agreed to do a review of the Tassimo Single Serve Coffee/Espresso system.

I was writing at the time for a home use audience and all the other machines and systems I had reviewed were smaller home type systems from Bunn and Grindmaster and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf and Lavazza and Illy and Dolce Gusto and Nespresso but what the folk at Tassimo sent was their T-300 Commercial machine designed for the Coffee Service market. It used non-standard bar coded capsules so even the very same coffee pods sold in stores would not work in it. And it was BIG, held well over a gallon of water, was a couple feet deep and almost a foot and a half high.

Well, the review was posted but I could never get the Tassimo folk to send me a shipping label to send the sucker back so now it sits in its box and pretends it is a side table.

Well, the review was posted but I could never get the Tassimo folk to send me a shipping label to send the sucker back so now it sits in its box and pretends it is a side table.

Reminds of one local rouse of supplying "free" pod machine for your office with a handshake agreement to keep buying proprietary pods from them. Couldn't ever get them to take back the machine... and it sat around taking so much space, might as well keep reordering some pods to brew.

I like my Rancilio.

Certainly respect the fact that there are multiple points of view on this - not just limited to pens. The major auto magazines receive free cars to try/review and accept ads from the car makers; Consumer Reports buys all their cars and never takes ads. Readers of each swear by the analysis of their favorite.

With this said, sounds like no rules broken, full disclosure will be made upfront and the standard refrain of caveat emptor applies. I look forward to the review!

As you're going to be upfront about it and won't shy away from any negative points, I really can't see a problem here.

Anyone suspicious of the fact that you got the pen for free will be alerted at the start of your review and can then choose to simply not read it.

As you're going to be upfront about it and won't shy away from any negative points, I really can't see a problem here.

Anyone suspicious of the fact that you got the pen for free will be alerted at the start of your review and can then choose to simply not read it.

+1 - I do understand the concern about potential bias, which is why I carefully differentiate between pens I've purchased and pens I've received (not that it happens often, mind you - and never at my request!). But if there's full disclosure, readers can decide for themselves whether that affects their willingness to trust the review...

• 2 weeks later...

@Lorna, you're welcome - will look forward to seeing your review!

I have received the pen, and have been using it for a few days. I will be writing and posting my review within the next few days.

Philippians 4.8

I would be very happy to write impartial reviews of any free pens that manufacturers would like to send me :D

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

I have been approached by a pen manufacturer/supplier who would like to send me a new model of pen to review on FPN in exchange for keeping the pen. They have stipulated that they would expect me to write an impartial review, stating what I like and don't like about the pen.

I don't know if this would be allowed under FPN rules, so am asking for clarification. I don't want to fall foul of the FPN rules and regulations. :unsure:

Sorry that neither myself or any of the other mods answered here. We don't read every topic, so this one slipped through.

As for rules, I don't believe there are any rules against it. Ethically, if you clearly state in the review that you were given the pen in exchange for an impartial review, I think you've done better than some of the others reviewers.

You could always drop a PM to watch_art, the Mod for this forum....just to be sure.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

Some reviewers accept the free pen, but then give it away after they finish reviewing it. If you are concerned about bias, this may be an option to consider.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!