Dip Nibs That Will Forgive Lefties

Houston

Seeking wisdom from the dip-pen gurus:

I'm a lefty. I've been searching for dip nibs that can handle a lot of "pushing" across the page -- given a lefty's need to push the nib, from behind.

Pretty much all of the dip nibs I've tried are too sharp, at the tip, and catch on even smooth papers, unless I use the most feather-light touch. Now, I don't man-handle the pen; my grip and my pressure are pretty light. But I'm finding that the dip nibs -- untipped as they are -- still often act as paper daggers.

Are there any dip nibs out there that have a tip made in a way that is less likely to catch when pushed?

Many thanks, in advance.

--h

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randal6393

• pajaro

• Houston

• cattar

Top Posters In This Topic

Might try a naganata nib, one with the upturned tip. Wouldn't be nearly as easy to catch, can be found on a variety of Chinese and Japanese pens.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Go with the lighter touch.

I push write and I like a bit of flex in fine, so I like the blue pumpkin.

I also use wide italics and the cartooning nibs that lay flat on the page and draw wide lines.

For most writing and drawing I prefer fountain pens.

edited to add

For most writing and drawing I prefer fountain pens - for their constant ink supply.

Edited by cattar

I am left handed, and I remember dip nibs as being reasonably smooth when I was in grade school in the 1950s. A few years ago I got a box of Esterbrook dip nibs in a lot of stuff on ebay. These nibs were OK when I put them in a holder.

You could smooth the nibs.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I found, way back when, that it just took time. When I first started with a dip nib, it would always stick and jab into the paper on certain strokes, but after while it would stop doing that.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Nothing is forgiving. My only advantage is a very light hand: my pens don't skip especially, but I can't really take advantage of the full potential of a flexible nib.