Italic Vs Stub From M. Masuyama In F-C Site

menganito

I like to thick, smooth nibs that writes wet & I write cursive.

I went to a local Pen show last week. After trying several, I picked up Masuyama Broad Stub.

It was still a bit rough for me & provided some feedback. Jim patiently grinded for me after watching my writing style.

Edited by hitsofmisses

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• menganito

• NinthSphere

• mmg122

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went straight to broad cursive italic by Masuyama without having used stub before. It took me a few weeks to get fully used to it. But now that I know how to use it, it's so much fun. It gets much more use that round nibs now.

+1 for the broad cursive italic. I have two, both 14k. Got the first (in a model 20) at the Baltimore show this spring, and just got a model 31 (ordered online). Both are on the sharp side (very narrow horizontal stroke), but write beautifully once you get used to them. That said, there's no substitute for actually trying the different nibs in person; I had originally intended to get a steel medium CI, but liked the feel of the gold broad CI much better... YMMV

• 7 months later...

Franklin Christoph somehow remained under my radar until I went to my first pen club meeting. Now I want the solid ice color in a Stabilis 65.

I have nib size down to Broad, but after reading this thread I still don’t know if I want the stub or cursive italic.

I have experience with a wide range: Visconti stub, Delta stub, Lamy Italic, Pilot calligraphy M, Nemosine 0.8, TWSBI 1.1, Karas 1.1, Edison 1.1 and 1.5.

What I value is the line width variation, easy to write cursive with. Any advice from Franklin Christoph users?

Posted Image

Franklin Christoph somehow remained under my radar until I went to my first pen club meeting. Now I want the solid ice color in a Stabilis 65.

I have nib size down to Broad, but after reading this thread I still don’t know if I want the stub or cursive italic.

I have experience with a wide range: Visconti stub, Delta stub, Lamy Italic, Pilot calligraphy M, Nemosine 0.8, TWSBI 1.1, Karas 1.1, Edison 1.1 and 1.5.

What I value is the line width variation, easy to write cursive with. Any advice from Franklin Christoph users?

Some writing samples from a bit back.

f_c_broad_comp_by_voidelemental-daffdxb.

Printing was done on a ~45 deg angle from the line, which was stupid in hindsight.

iro_samples_by_voidelemental-da0dh0p.jpg

Title/Syo-ro/Kon-peki from the stub, Tsukushi/Yama-guri from the italic, Tsuki-yo from a Bexley 14k stub pre-adjustment.

Both are great & have remained as staples of my inked line-up sine the day I got them. If line variation is your priority though, the italic is the clear winner.

edit: Clairefontaine, 8mm line spacing btw

Edited by NinthSphere

Thank you for the sample photos NinthSphere.

I was just using an Edison 1.1 mm italic, and actually felt feedback on Clairefontaine from it. I think this is a first or second for me (feeling feedback). So I started thinking I should get the stub. But after seeing your photos, now Im thinking the italic.

I wrote a message to Franklin Christoph about this. Its hardly an easy question to ask the penmaker, but I acknowledged that.

I had the same problem choosing a nib for the Italix Parsons Essential. The nib that came on that pen wouldnt write well, skipped. Suggestions here were to get an Edison nib. Edisons Brian Gray refered me to their meisternibs site. That means an unmarked Edison nib is installed in The Italix.

Usually I dont struggle with a nib choice because most penmakers offer the stub or the italic. At any rate, I truly appreciate your photos and suggestion.

Edited to add that your Bexley looks like it has a nice nib on it.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

I am using an old IPhone 5S to look at FPN. I swear I type apostrophes, but they do not show up in the submitted post above.

I wonder why.

Posted Image

I was just using an Edison 1.1 mm italic, and actually felt feedback on Clairefontaine from it. I think this is a first or second for me (feeling feedback). So I started thinking I should get the stub. But after seeing your photos, now Im thinking the italic.

Both nibs will, or at least do in my examples, exhibit a sort of pencil-like feedback, even with Iros. The stub is a bit wetter, so the feedback is less so, but still present if that bothers you.

Usually I dont struggle with a nib choice because most penmakers offer the stub or the italic.

That's how I ended up with both. Had the italic, loved it, but kept getting this nagging feeling that I was missing out on something not having tried the stub. Also why I ended up with a SIG. :D

Edited to add that your Bexley looks like it has a nice nib on it.

:wub: Tied for fav nib with the Masuyama italic. The adjustment was actually fixing my under-correction of the misaligned tines it arrived with. Got rid of the position sensitivity it was causing, dialed back the wetness a bit, & improved the line variation.

Hi NinthSphere. F-C replied to my email, and suggested what you suggested. I let them know about liking line width variation, and F-C suggested the italic nib for that reason. The email was written by Mandy, and she wrote about their 30-day guarantee.

I’m thinking Franklin Christoph deserves all the praise I’ve read here on FPN for customer service. I would like to support American pen makers, so I expect I will order from them.

Posted Image

• 3 months later...

Wouldn’t you know after trying a pen club friend’s F-Cs, I thought her stub nib pen was smoother, so ordered it in a broad. Now the pen is in the mail to get the broad italic. I think I knew that I made a mistake once I ordered the pen.

But I had to give it a chance. Compared to the broad italic I got to try, there was not enough line variation to suit me. The pen is supposed to reach F-C on Monday, so hopefully the pen will return with the Masuyama broad italic before Friday.

I have plans to go to the St. Louis Pen Show, and might buy a 1.1 italic nib, maybe a broad SIG. Not sure if a pen will be part of this.

Posted Image

:thumbup:

If I had looked at your photos before ordering, I would have ordered the broad italic. That and the folks at F-C answered with broad italic after I sent that email question. Doh!

Posted Image

:lticaptd: Oh well. Hope you like the italic when it gets back to you.

Edited by NinthSphere

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks NinthSphere. I do like the broad cursive italic much better than the stub. I love the thicks and thins of the italic.

What gets confusing for more than me I suspect is having pens with stub nibs, or named that way, that give good line variation. Like the Visconti HS in my avatar photo, which has a stub 1.3mm nib that gives really good line variation.

Maybe that width is the difference. Seems F-C’s broad stub is a 0.9mm.

Posted Image