Converting A Fifth Ave. Ca

dmmay

I have two Fifth Ave. CAs that I am wanting to convert to use with modern refills. I have seen Richard Binder's excellent example of how to do this conversion, but there are a couple of things I have questions about. In one of the pens, I do not know how to get the old refill out. In the second pen, I got the refill out, but I do not know how to get the cone tip out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have attached pictures.

post-89248-0-22031400-1443126588.png

post-89248-0-66335900-1443126607.png

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greenie

• dmmay

I have converted two Eversharp CA pens a la Binder. His instructions are quite good. Even without a lathe, I was able to cut the cone/nozzle with a dremel cutting disc and use the flat part of a cutting disc to make the nozzle just right. The hole can actually be (very carefully) opened with the recommended sized bit without a lathe. Buy EXACTLY that size bit. The result is a really cool and useful vintage pen that otherwise is just a display piece.

For your top pen, hold the plastic part of the gripping section, and turn the metal rod. It should be one piece with the metal nozzle and unscrew our the nozzle end. A tiny bit of heat or soaking could be useful if it is stuck.

fpn_1443239503__eversharp_ca.jpg

For the second pen, it looks like you broke the rod off the nozzle.You should still be able to unscrew the metal nozzle from the plastic gripping section, but it will be hard to get a grip without marring the metal. The question is if enough of the inside part remains to do the conversion as described. Otherwise, you will need an inner spacer. You can save part of the rod from the first pen, drill out the channel to the correct size, and trim a piece bit by bit to use in place of what is missing on the second pen. I also have a short version of the pen with the original spiral ink refill still in the pen. It does not seem to have the metal rod. Your second pen might be this other design. Same advice as above, but in that case, you didn't break anything, It is just a different version of the pen. The top pen is what is shown on the conversion instructions.

Edited by Greenie

Thanks so much for this information. Using a dremel is a great idea. I was able to get the one refill out. In the other pen, it did not break off. It had a different type of refill. I have attached the picture. It actually screwed out. Interestingly, it still had some 70 year old ink in it.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

David

post-89248-0-98782200-1443402751_thumb.png

post-89248-0-63936800-1443402771_thumb.png

I seem to have one unconverted Eversharp CA pen like the one in your second post. I hadn't really looked that hard before. Not sure if anything can be done with that type. Thanks - you taught me something too.

• 5 months later...

Closing the loop/completing the "circle of pens"....

Here is the thread showing what to do with your CA if you don't want to convert it formally. And also what you can do with the CA pens without the inside tube.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/303711-fitting-a-vintage-eversharp-ca-ballpoint-with-a-modern-refill/