What "standard" Ink Is Closest To Bung-Box 4B?

AndyYNWA

What "Standard" ink is closest to Bung-Box 4B? Especially when it comes to color, but also in shading and other properties.

Since Bung-Box inks are both quite tricky to get hold of and and rather expenseive, I'm curious if there is an alternative that comes close.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• AndyYNWA

• benborgmeyer

• thrillhouse847

I'm reviving this thread because I would really like to know this, too. I'm totally in love with the BungBox 4B and a more readily available, (and hopefully) cheaper option would be great to have.

Edited by thrillhouse847

Interesting topic.

Hmmm... I can't say that I've ever come across an ink similar to 4B.

The only ink that comes to mind is a rather weak substitute, but can be found for $10 to $15 on Rakuten: Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo. However, it doesn't sheen as readily as 4B nor is the color as saturated. Both inks feel different when putting pen to paper, though the performance of both are excellent.

I love Tsuki-yo, but it was never meant to replace an ink such as this. :/

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

4B is totally unique, IMO because if it's sheen. You won't get sheen like that from most other inks.

Now, if you want an ink that's got some sheen, some water resistance and is a great dark blue, get Blue Manhattan from Fountain Pen Hospital. (It used to be Manhattan Blue). I also really like Midnight blue from Noodler's. What I like about these inks as that like 4B, they are BLUE blacks not teal. I will try and post up my quick comparisons.

If you want amazing sheen and a dark almost black ink, then you want Mirau from Sailor. It's a green black with sheen.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/20140619_124154.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/20140619_124142.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/20140619_124146.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/20140619_124154.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/20140619_124304.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/20140619_124308.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/20140619_124312.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/20140619_124333.jpg

Okay, so I have Manhattan Blue, Midnight Blue, 4B, 4B in a different pen, and then Mirau.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/20140619_124344.jpg

I received a sample of 4B from migo, and I find it quite teal. Or maybe it's the sheen that tricks the eye to think it's more teal than it is...

But I really love that ink!

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Glad you are enjoying it!

Thanks for the comparisons. Looks like maybe that Midnight Blue or Manhattan Blue would be closest (depending on the wetness/size of the nib). Unfortunately, none really nail it. I'll just have to make an effort to conserve my bottle of 4B and make it last.

Thanks for the comparisons. Looks like maybe that Midnight Blue or Manhattan Blue would be closest (depending on the wetness/size of the nib). Unfortunately, none really nail it. I'll just have to make an effort to conserve my bottle of 4B and make it last.

Use it, enjoy it. Don't hoard it.

Hmm, that Noodler's midnight looks different than the bottle I purchased December 2013, so I guess there is batch to batch variance, my bottle also seems to have shifted to a lighter color over the course of two years.

Hopefully these two photos show it, bad light source right now.......

TWSBI Vac 700 fine nib with Midnight Blue circa december 2013

post-106631-0-55034900-1451875686_thumb.jpg

Sheaffer 300 fine nib with Midnight Blue from yesterday

post-106631-0-85135100-1451875692_thumb.jpg

Edited by zchen

I think it's a bigger difference with paper. The paper that shows the sheen is Tomoe River which is not absorbent. Your paper actually absorbed the ink. Compare your images to the ones at the top - no sheen.

• 3 months later...

I have found no substitute for the 4B. The color, shading, flow and sheen are unmatched, so while I cringe at the price, I continue to buy it.

YD is beautiful and sheens like crazy but it is a much more turquoise color than 4B.

Here is YD compared to J Herbin Emerald of Chivor.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/03-March/slides/2016-03-24_06.jpg

In my limited experience, I would say the closest I have seen are Shin-kai and Sherlock Holmes, both of which I find attractive and well-behaved. That said, 4B seems to be as close as you can get to a unique ink within the seemingly constrained world of blue-black. I bought a bottle in large part because of the raves by people here. When it arrived, and I used it a little bit, my first reaction was: I paid $XX for that? But every time I use it, it gets more interesting, and now it fascinates me as much as any other ink. It is, at the risk of sounding too ink-geeky, magic ink.