Waterman Carene Sea Shimmer (Green) - Anyone Seen Fountain Pen In The Wild?

Maine Vintner

So I attended the Commonwealth pen show in Boston today (great event, well attended) and saw three Carenes in this finish but ALL were rollerballs. I've always coveted this pen in this finish (I have 4 others but none in Sea Green) but have never seen one in the wild or for sale as a fountain pen.

Seeing THREE today and NONE as a fountain pen made me wonder - does anyone have one?

John

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maine Vintner

• Left FPN

• pen2paper

• pajaro

I have one :)

Actually, it is my husband's. He purchased it about from a pen store in Chicago 5 or 10 years ago.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

Cool! Hold onto it. I love the finish (I have black with good trim, amber shimmer, Prussian blue) but cannot seem to find Sea Green. Such a great finish and such a tease to uncap three pens and find no nib :-(

Force, I could be mistaken but I think John is referring to the Island LE which is a soft light turquoise color? The soft sand color is the one I have. Out of production for quite a while now. Though I readily defer to your knowledge in all things Carene : )

Force, I could be mistaken but I think John is referring to the Island LE which is a soft light turquoise color? The soft sand color is the one I have. Out of production for quite a while now. Though I readily defer to your knowledge in all things Carene : )

Without a picture and the term Sea Green I assumed Sea Garden (as bracketed) and the title say Sea Shimmer which the SG is sometimes referred as.

I have acquired and sold a couple of Island Lagoons in the last year,

Perhaps John can tell us which it is from this

fpn_1442839250__dscn8399.jpg

Edited by Force

Ironically I have been thinking of turning my Sea Garden L fountain pen into a rollerball. I acquired the inner cap for it and the rollerball section. Sloth intervenes.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Force,

Thank you for all of your efforts to bring clarity to the Carene finish question and I apologize for any pain in your finger tips due to all the tapping (I was out of pocket on travel the past few days) :-)

The two pens on the far left of the photo you provided is the color to which I'm referencing (beautiful collection, by the way!).

Thank you for the links and information.

Best regards,

John

oops. I'm afraid I added to the intensity of the "tapping" :blush: ; )

I should inquire if there's any interest in adding an LE Sand? I was planning on taking it to our local upcoming pen show to rehome, but will elsewhere at a 75th anniversary.

If so I could list it (appropriately) in FPN classifieds.

It's been hard to let this one go. I liked everything about its style, and still do. But it's too heavy for me use comfortably. It's silly to have it linger only to admire when others would put it to good use.

I should inquire if there's any interest in adding an LE Sand? I was planning on taking it to our local upcoming pen show to rehome, but will elsewhere at a 75th anniversary.

It's been hard to let this one go. I liked everything about its style, and still do. But it's too heavy for me use comfortably. It's silly to have it linger only to admire when others would put it to good use.

Sorry, the Sand is one colour I am not keen on. You should be able to sell it in the Classifieds without much problem.

Sorry, the Sand is one colour I am not keen on. You should be able to sell it in the Classifieds without much problem.

Yes, recall something about Sand not being your choice, but then some of your Carene finds were changing colors ; ) ; ) ; ) I like the sand color and was reluctant to see an LE become a horse of another color ; ) so to speak.

Ironically I have been thinking of turning my Sea Garden L fountain pen into a rollerball. I acquired the inner cap for it and the rollerball section. Sloth intervenes.

You don't need a roller ball! Keep it as a fountain. Or sell it to me :-)

Yes, recall something about Sand not being your choice, but then some of your Carene finds were changing colors ; ) ; ) ; ) I like the sand color and was reluctant to see an LE become a horse of another color ; ) so to speak.

I only re painted damaged lacquer pens. What does LE refer to.

I only re painted damaged lacquer pens. What does LE refer to.

Yes LE.. Thanks MV. The Island Series? I'd have to look in the booklet. I think it's still in the box.

I didn't realize the lacquer was damaged. I thought you were straightening nibs that were askew, and the color change was merely being playful with color while it was disassembled.

I believe LE means Limited Edition.

I have a brochure that is with my IL RB and it says in French, L'edition Speciale (Special Edition). I think the confusion also lies in the phrase used, Le design Carene. The pen is not numbered so it cannot be limited. In the Waterman range I only know of the Edson having LE models.

Sorry if we are taking this off topic as we are now clear it meant Sea Garden.

Edited by Force

I have had trouble getting up the will to rehome my Amber Marine and Sea Garden . . . and the ultramarine blue one . . .or the Laureat IIs . . .or the extra Phileas pens. Makes me feel like Silas Marner fingering coins. Made a rollerball out of a matte blue Carene. It is a bit scraped up, good for the supermarket list.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have had trouble getting up the will to rehome my Amber Marine and Sea Garden . . . and the ultramarine blue one . . .or the Laureat IIs . . .or the extra Phileas pens. Makes me feel like Silas Marner fingering coins. Made a rollerball out of a matte blue Carene. It is a bit scraped up, good for the supermarket list.

And this is what makes you a true fountain pen lover and FPNer!

Thank you to everyone for the sharing of your beautiful pens, and all of your great assistance. I will continue my search for my Moby :-)

Best,

John