Newbie Here From Texas

KKay

Hi everyone. I am new here. I am waiting on my new pen to arrive. It is a Pilot Prera. Demonstrator pen with green accents. I decided I needed to join a fountain pen forum, and this looks like a really good one. I hope this pen works out well for me. I have high hopes for it. I should get it tomorrow, or maybe Monday. I just bought cartridges to go with it for now. If I love the pen, I will order some ink for it. I already have my eye on another pen. I have several types of pens, but the fountain pen has always been something I wanted to try again. I bought one many many years ago. It was scratchy, and it leaked. I don't even remember what happened to it. But after hearing about fountain pens on the internet, I've decided to try it again. Fingers crossed!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KKay

• Fuzzy_Bear

• PAKMAN

• ReacherCreature

A warm welcome to FPN from northern California. It's great to have you here with us.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome, Kkay !

A converter will allow you to fill the pen from an ink bottle. If your pen does not come with one, it will cost extra. If you like using this pen, a converter is worthwhile. Do save the ink cartridges. They are refillable with your favorite bottle ink.

Remember that a fountain pen is NOT a ballpoint pen, and should not be used the same way. While a ballpoint pen rolls paste ink onto paper, and you have to bear down to make the ball track on the paper, the liquid ink of a fountain pen is attracted to paper. Liquid ink will flow with slightest contact. You have to grip a ballpoint pen tightly, so it does not slip, as you bear down.

The easy flow of a fountain pen allows a fingers-extended, relaxed grip. Hold the pen lightly at a 45 to 50 degree slant. You won't suffer hand cramps.

When not writing, keep the fountain pen nib-up, and away from heat. An undamaged pen should not leak.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Thanks again for the welcomes! Sasha I did not get my pen today, but I did get the ink cartridges. I did not know you could reuse them! A CON-50 comes with the pen, so I am good there. Thank you for the tips. It is very much appreciated! :D

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Thank you for the extra welcomes. Last night I was looking at fountain pens. I came across the Edison line. I should not have looked at that! The Collier line has snagged me. I must resist!

Thanks again for more warm welcomes! You folks won't believe it. My box was on my doorstep this afternoon. I've never had a package delivered on Sunday before. I was not expecting it until tomorrow. So, I got the pen out, put the cartridge in, and it works very well. I put in a blue ink cartridge, just to see what I thought. It was nothing like the pen I had before. This thing wrote very well indeed. If you center the nib point, it is perfect. If you are a slight bit to the left, it is perfect. If your right slightly with a right tilt, and bring down a stroke, it is not perfect. But I think once I use it more, that part will break in okay. I looked closely at the nib, and saw nothing wrong with it. The pen is much lighter than I expected it to be. The length is fine. The lightness of the pen will definitely take some getting used to for me. I have the fine nib on this pen. I am so relieved it wrote well, right out of the box. I am going to use it on other types of paper today, and see the differences. I just used it on a cheap notepad first. I was surprised it wrote so well, on paper that was not so hot. I am very pleased so far. :D

Well I made an order for bottled ink. I wanted a turquoise, but I didn't have quite enough money to swing it. I bought the J. Herbin- Bleu Pervenche, Diamine-Kelly Green, and Iroshizuku- Rigor of Winter aka fuyu-syogun. This ought to start me off in good shape.

From Texas? The Dallas Pen Show comes to pass this coming weekend! If you are new to pens, it would be a great education for you. If you are near Dallas, let me know, and I will give you more information. C. Skinner

Yes, I am not THAT far from Dallas. I don't like driving there myself. What part of Dallas is it in? I have a friend who also likes fountain pens. Maybe we can go there, if HE drives. :D

Welcome! I love driving, so much so I now drive a school bus in East Texas.

Enjoy the fun, sorry, the obsession. I started with a gift pen and black ink. I now have over 20 pens and an just about out of black ink. But I have 30 other colors!

Peace and Understanding

KKay, check out Noodlers. They have turquoise, my birth stone, for $12.50, usually, a 3 oz. bottle. Dromgooles in Houston can get it for ya.

Peace and Understanding

I'm near, but not in Greenville. Live in one city, work in another, take the kids to afterschool activities in Greenville.

Peace and Understanding