The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Cookie Acceptance And Other Updates

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 GordonOZ

GordonOZ

Chief Plumber

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:13

It is a little annoying as it pops up every time I log on via my tablet, but I can live with that as I enjoy using this forum so much. :)

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Sponsored Content

#22 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:22

For a time today, I received the ad-block message, in spite of the fact that I am demonstrably NOT blocking ads (I see them all the time on boards like TrekBBS).

I DO block the unsolicited execution of Flash content, and I DO have a small (but growing) list of domains remapped to 0.0.0.0 in my host table, including Facebook and (currently) eighteen domains that have served pop-unders, many with at least mild browser-traps. And on my Mac at home, I DO block scripts (in blacklist, rather than whitelist, mode) that come from any domain that has a history of either making an egregious waste of my limited dial-up(!) bandwidth, or breaking my browser (the terminal Firefox release for PPC-based Macs).

Hi James,

As mentioned a little higher up, this was a result of doing the updates on the live board while it was online. The last stage of the installation required for this to happen. We did not bring the board offline to do all this, because we would have had to take the board offline for an hour or more, while it was perfectly functional for all that time, and the exposure to these messages lasted less than about 10 minutes.

Apologies for the (fortunately short-lived) unexpected (and unwarranted) messages.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#23 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:24

It is a little annoying as it pops up every time I log on via my tablet, but I can live with that as I enjoy using this forum so much. :)

We will certainly check if we can do something about this - may not be very fast however. Right now these will be displayed if you do indeed use a blocker prior to logging in, in your case.

Thanks for the report, and for your understanding!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#24 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• FPN Hon. Admin

• 27,153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:28

On an iPad Air running iOS 9, it vanished after I clicked okay and has never returned. I'm using the latest upload of Safari.

#25 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2015 - 14:35

Moved two posts, by TSHerbs and Scrawler, to Community Feedback, as a new topic, here:

http://www.fountainp...ocker-feedback/

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#26 hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl

Professional Dilettante

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2015 - 00:53

Then again, the only ads I'm actually seeing are the one between the search box and the "View new content" button at the top-right, and the ones in and below the "Sponsored Content" box at the bottom of the page.

And to anybody who actually read my diatribe about advertising, its benefits, and its abuses, thank you for your time.

Edited by hbquikcomjamesl, 24 September 2015 - 00:55.

--
James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Posted Image was once a bottle of ink
Inky, Dinky, Thinky, Inky,
Blacky minky, Bottle of ink!
-- Edward Lear

#27 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:47

OK.. this is actually quite annoying.  

First I got the cookie message, which I had no problems accepting.   Several times....  is not coming back thou.

But now I have the " We have noticed that you are using advert blocking software, such as Ad Block Plus....".. Which I am not using, but regardless.. I went ahead and added Fountainpennetwork.com to my allow list.  The message still there.

Is there anywhere else I need to add the site, so I don't see this message.   My windows machine is fine, the problem is on my Mac.  Running Firefox on Mac OS10.9.5  :(

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#28 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:58

Hi Cyber6,

I am not familiar with Macs and OS10, but I do have 2 questions:

Did you refresh the screen after adding it to the whitelist?

Do you have JavaScript switched on?

In either of these cases, as in, not refreshing, and having JavaScript switched off, it would show the message.

If both are done/on, try clearing your cache.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#29 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:02

Hi Cyber6,

I am not familiar with Macs and OS10, but I do have 2 questions:

Did you refresh the screen after adding it to the whitelist?

Do you have JavaScript switched on?

In either of these cases, as in, not refreshing, and having JavaScript switched off, it would show the message.

If both are done/on, try clearing your cache.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

FIXED!!!!....  I am a GENIUS!!!!...    I was going into the permission panel... and doing all kinds of sh*t..... when all along, it was on top of the page.. One click - Disable... and ALL IS GOOD!!!!!

Thanks Wim..  I can breathe easy now....  :D

C.

Edited by Cyber6, 24 September 2015 - 02:02.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#30 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:15

Hi Cyber6,

Good to hear you found it!

It should actually be easy, no more than 2 clicks :D.

If you have never done this before, it may be a bit hard to find indeed :).

The site is a bit slow tonight - makes it a bit hard to post a message, 3rd time already - between 6000 and 10000 users online here, which is quite a lot.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#31 cybaea

cybaea

Messsage me

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2015 - 16:58

The new 'Advertising Notice' is really annoying, especially as I am already a Platinum member....

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

#32 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2015 - 19:26

I am very happy with the option of my "donation" to see FPN without ads & now with the "acceptance of cookies" logging in is a much simpler process.  If I can manage to make enjoying the site so much pleasant for such a small fee & simple application "Life is truly Good!"  I wish everything was as simple to enhance & improve.  Thank you for all these options & your many efforts to provide a most enjoyable site.

#33 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2015 - 21:12

The new 'Advertising Notice' is really annoying, especially as I am already a Platinum member....

See my PM please.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#34 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2015 - 21:12

I am very happy with the option of my "donation" to see FPN without ads & now with the "acceptance of cookies" logging in is a much simpler process.  If I can manage to make enjoying the site so much pleasant for such a small fee & simple application "Life is truly Good!"  I wish everything was as simple to enhance & improve.  Thank you for all these options & your many efforts to provide a most enjoyable site.

Thank you kindly, BP, much appreciated!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#35 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,291 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2015 - 00:52

To make things clear again:

The cookie thing has nothing to do with the advertisements.

In the European Union there are now new laws forcing websites to announce the use of cookies and to ask the visitor to agree with that.

It is not something we like, we have to.

And I think our message is very unobtrusive. There are websites in Europe with large pop/up messages which you HAVE to click in order to see content.

And you´ll see a lot more of those on the internet before long.

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#36 haruka337

haruka337

( •̀ω•́ )✧

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2015 - 22:07

Thank you for the explanation, RMN!

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

#37 Goncharov

Goncharov

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2015 - 23:48

After seeing the message, and, subsequently, seeking out and reading this thread, I have tentatively disabled my ad blocking software.  

That being said, I feel that I should state that the reason why I sought out, downloaded, and installed that software in the first place was due to obnoxious ad behavior here on FPN.   I am referring to the ads that had audio content which could not be individually turned off.   Before those type of ads showed up here, I never had any ad blocking plug-ins for any browser whatsoever.

I have no problem with ad banners.  I don’t mind moving-picture ads.    But I draw the line at ads that take control of my speakers without my permission, and specifically against my wishes.  That is not tolerable.

I’ve browsed the site a bit just now, and you don’t seem to have any of those type ads running presently.  Good.  But if you ever again allow any of your advertisers to hijack my speakers, my ad blocking software will be going back on – permanently.  

#38 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2015 - 00:08

After seeing the message, and, subsequently, seeking out and reading this thread, I have tentatively disabled my ad blocking software.  

That being said, I feel that I should state that the reason why I sought out, downloaded, and installed that software in the first place was due to obnoxious ad behavior here on FPN.   I am referring to the ads that had audio content which could not be individually turned off.   Before those type of ads showed up here, I never had any ad blocking plug-ins for any browser whatsoever.

I have no problem with ad banners.  I don’t mind moving-picture ads.    But I draw the line at ads that take control of my speakers without my permission, and specifically against my wishes.  That is not tolerable.

I’ve browsed the site a bit just now, and you don’t seem to have any of those type ads running presently.  Good.  But if you ever again allow any of your advertisers to hijack my speakers, my ad blocking software will be going back on – permanently.  

I think you need to know how this works, to get a better understanding.

The 3rd party ads are essentially RTB (real Time Buying) ads supplied by two ad agencies, under very strict conditions, to the degree that in our category we make less than 40% of the average of the category we are seen to be in (Hobbies & Interest). Because of the restrictions, we also struggle to get a 30% fill rate, in total, that is. We'll live with that, because it would mean adding another passback, and that is something which potentially slows down the site, and creates lots of flashing as well.

We are promised no ads with sound will come up unless you enable sound yourself. Similarly, certain ads will not appear.

However, all of this is "in principle". The ad agencies do their utmost to keep the categories and ads as clean as possible based on these criteria. However, because this is all RTB, it may happen that one slips through the cracks.

All you need to do is report that, in Community Feedback, where we have a topic specifically for this type of thing. And we act upon instantaneously. We have also found that the ad agencies now act very quickly as well, be it that they only work during the week on work days, and here lies the catch.

In short, all we ask is to report things like this, as we have very little control over it until the ad agency can act upon it. Making threats is not going to help, reporting is. And this is true for any site worldwide which runs ads these days.

Thank you in advance.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#39 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,646 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:38

I know that websites need the cookies.  I delete all the cookies periodically.  Today I looked at the number of cookies on my PC, and it was over thirty thousand.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#40 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:06

<ROFL>

I delete them periodically too - every two days or so :). I never get to those numbers as a result :).

Warm regards, Wim ;)

the Mad Dutchman

Sponsored Content

|