Identifying This Sheaffer Snorkel?

Figittobe

I've acquired this Sheaffer Snorkel which has a dent on the cap and two scratches on the body. I've narrowed it down to a Sheaffer Snorkel Sentinel (it has a white dot but I forgot to include it in the pictures), but I wasn't sure if it would be considered periwinkle or pastel blue. Could anyone confirm that it is a Sentinel and narrow down the color? Also, what would a pen like this be valued at?

post-115695-0-24726900-1442603285_thumb.jpgpost-115695-0-14664000-1442603288_thumb.jpgpost-115695-0-46701700-1442603289_thumb.jpgpost-115695-0-05140700-1442603291_thumb.jpgpost-115695-0-28553400-1442603292_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Figittobe

• kirchh

• 3rdlakerobert

• ink-syringe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Appears to be a Periwinkle Sentinel.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Thanks for the confirmation! Do you know approximately what it would retail for?

I'll politely decline to offer an appraisal. Periwinkle is one of the more desirable colors.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

People will pay a lot for Periwinkle. The cap's no good but a good replacement isn't hard to find. The problem is the deep gouges. I still think it might bring $100 in that condition on eBay. But you want to know retail? Like an antique store? Online pen seller? Not sure what you mean.

That cap can be fixed or replaced but those scratches in the barrel are very deep. That is going to bring the price down for sure. On the plus side the nib (looks like an XF) is in nice shape.

Best of luck.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Yeah certainly looks like Periwinkle. Nobody's figured out a way to disassemble metal Snorkel caps yet, so that dent is permanent. The scratches on the barrel look pretty deep. It would make a great parts pen for someone, or a good writer if you don't care about the cosmetic issues. I doubt it would hit $100 on eBay, but I've been surprised before. I'd think more in the $50 range.

Edited by BrianMcQueen

Just a note since you are a new member and Jim didn't mention it. Soliciting sales on the board is permitted only in the Marketplace - and you have to be a member 30 days AND have 30 posts. This was set up for the protection of both you and other members of FPN. Your posts here could be construed as an end run to get around the restrictions, and if continued could get you suspended or banned. Let me encourage you to take the time to 1] read the rules (there's a link in the drop down menu a the top of the page and 2] take the time to get to know us and for us to know you!

Since you've had a couple of reasonable ball park answers, I'm going to close the thread.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.