Multipens Anyone?

penhaven

Any love for multi-pens? Bought this Rotring years ago and it still sees duty. Just restocked it with new refills and it's ready for work!

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy220/cagliaris/pen%20stuff/IMG_4331_zps1expdkho.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• MYU

• Algester

• dgcom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like multi pens but have not yet found the perfect one. I am interested in trying the Lamy 2000 multi pen with four ballpoint colours.

My Rotring Quattro has all the ballpoint colors I want (Red,Blue,Black) + a lead pencil. To me having a pencil is more important than another ink option like green, etc. This way I'm essentially covered for any practical writing situation. Since I hate black ink I've elected to fill that slot with another blue to give me double the writing endurance. The red is for marking up papers that I review from time to time, and pencil is mainly for carpentry.

-M

It's a curious thing. I was getting back into using a paper based organiser and I wanted to adopt the Chronodex system, so I was looking around for a multipen. I finally settled on the Pilot Hi-Tec C Coleto 1000 as the best option for me. And then I found fountain pens and got totally sidetracked! Never got to use the Chronodex either (went with a bullet journal style, and Hobonichi). Funny how life meanders.

I just remembered... Last winter I bought a Parker Executive with 0.5 pencil, blue and black ballpoint and an orange highlighter ballpoint. How could I forget this pen? I have not used it much because I can not find refills. I want to swap the orange highlighter to a red ballpoint also.

I still have a couple from the times when smartphones and PDAs had resistive screens. The Lamy 2000 and Cross Matrix were in constant use back then because the styli of the devices were next to useless and handwriting recognition quite good. Now with the capacitive screens I have no use for multipens. Writing with a ballpoint never satisfied me, even aged 8.

I have a small collection of Fend singles and multis. The singles are pencils and the multis are either 4/c pencils or 4/c bps. I have a few US Normas for comparison and the Japanese bp Fend-style after the design was sold.

Two thoughts, at least for these vintage multis:

* Fend was the superior design in aeshetic choice and performance as compared with the Norma.

" I take a smaller length Fend 4/c pencil multi with me on trips and find it a vary nice tool with a pen for quick sketches.

I use Style Fit, Coleto, and the new Frixion multi. I think the Coleto has the nicest pencil for sketching. And I love the way the Coleto is engineered such that each refill has its own color click mechanism that matches the color of the refill inside.

The Frixion is really nice for those times I need to color code in my calendar or bullet journal, so I can erase if my plans change, which they frequently do.

But for the writing experience itself, I love the Uni Style Fit inks the best: smoother, great for laying down under watercolors, and includes my favorite brown-black.

All of my multis are less expensive models, but I don't notice any rattling. Eventually, I'd like to get a more elegant and expensive multi from Pilot or Uni.

Arielle

I pair up my Platinum Plasir with black ink with a Pilot Hi-Tec C Coleto. I keep red, green, purple, and orange in it. I write notes with the fountain pen and use the coleto for highlight colors and editing marks. The system has been working well for me for around two years. Both the pens are close in size and shape, it is almost as if they were made for each other as a set.

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - W. Somerset Maugham

http://wendyvancamp.com

The Rotring multi pen was one of the pens that got me back into pens many years ago. I think I got it off sky mall when levenger had a section within the catalog. This almost verify was pre Amazon or eBay. Then I ended up buying a matching Rotring fountain pen. I loved the heaviness of those pens, and the gravity selection of colors is cool.

"We can become expert in an erroneous view" --Tenzin Wangyal Rinoche

• 1 month later...

I like the idea but I prefer something more solid but slim enough. So I acquired a Cross Tech 3. Nice feel in the hand and the surprisingly enought the high polish chrome is quite grippy. It is yet gained enought mileage for me to give it a fair appraisal. The pencil part writes decent enough with eno-G 4B lead in it and the other two 0.7mm ballpoint are not too bad. It is not something that I would like to use for an extended session but it is at times quite useful to have three acceptable jotter in something so slim and yet built solid.

On a whim, I ordered a Uni Jetstream multifunction pen for my wife. It has four inks (black, red, blue, green) PLUS a 0.5mm pencil. She prefers cheap pens, and this one was only $10. I'll happily report back here with a mini review when it arrives.

Edited by cptdean

Pens so far:

Montblanc 146, Lamy 2000 Fountain, Lamy 2000 Rollerball, Vintage Parker 45, Parker 45 Special, Platinum Preppy, Jinhao 159

I got a style fit meister now its ok for what it is .28, .38 and a .5 refill as I only got me the 3 refill variant its as thick as the ordinary jetstream that I have and is a twistype mechanism

the colors I currently have are much less desired plus I only bought it on a whim (the colors) but I really wanted the pen body so I might look for the other colors to try out what I really like (I'll be keeping the brown-black ink though)

My wife's Uni Jetstream multifunction arrived yesterday and she's thrilled with it. It's extremely cool for the price.

Pens so far:

Montblanc 146, Lamy 2000 Fountain, Lamy 2000 Rollerball, Vintage Parker 45, Parker 45 Special, Platinum Preppy, Jinhao 159

• 1 month later...

Hi,

While multi pens are nice, I find that I never use the ballpoint parts, so I get multi pencils instead. I have the Rotring Trio pencil with 0.3 mm, 0.5 mm, and 0.7 mm pencils and a Zebra Prefill which is below. My Zebra Prefill has four 0.7 pencil mechanisms in it. One is just regular 0.7 mm HB Pentel Ain, then one is Pilot Eno Color Pink, another is Pilot Eno Color Purple, and the last is Pilot Eno Color Light Blue. What I like about the Prefill is that it has a dedicated button to extend the lead and separate buttons to extend and retract the different pencil mechanisms. This makes it very easy to extend the lead when you use it. You don't have to push on the fiddly slider that extends and retracts the mechanism.

14658685850_514e14294d_k.jpg

14658739509_2035e1dc49_k.jpg

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I only have one multipen right now, a Skilcraft B3 aviator pen. It's not fancy but it gets the job done with black ballpoint, red ballpoint, and 0.5mm pencil. Well made and nicely slender. I carry mine everywhere.

Edited by dkirchge

-- Doug K.

• 5 months later...

http://s19.postimg.org/8q709qloj/Pilot_2_1_Multipen_3_types.jpg

http://s19.postimg.org/lgb8mttmr/Pilot_2_1_Multipen_tips.jpg

This is a "2+1" multipen by Pilot. They still make this (2 ballpoints, 1 mechanical pencil) but not in all stainless steel. Just multi colors. But it looks like the design is slightly different, a touch more slim. I find this old vintage 2+1 to be very nicely sized. I was going to get myself a rOtring Trio, but didn't see the point given how this one works well enough. I find these more of a novelty, as I prefer to write with gel pen inserts and for mechanical pencils I'll use a dedicated one.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small